SKSE64 Speculation and Safe-Space Thread

pipdude

Continuation of Vortec's original question:  I am curious on why subsurface scattering was left out as well.  It can't be harder to do than adding shadows or godrays.

SS is mainly for realistic character skin. Beth is notorious for not caring about their character looks and leaving them to the modders. Just look at the vanilla characters in all their games, they are all butt ugly compared to other AAA games released in their respective years. 

If Bethesda can't be bothered to even get the 3d model and texture for their characters done properly, making sure that skin lighting is realistic is probably the last thing on their mind, even if it's not difficult to do at all.  

I suspect a lot of modders are waiting for SKSE64 so they can update or release a new mod dependent on it, so the lack of SKSE creates a drought effect without intent. At some point if they can't pull it off, modders will develop workarounds.

First I thought it was april joke but now when even official page has no release date either it seems like it might never happen.

There is at least one other person offering to take it over and finish it.

Seems like they should probably take them up on that and share files.

Why that person doesnt start their own project? We have seen what one person can do when popular mod is not amazing enough.

I have every faith they will get it done. And from what I have been experiencing with Skyrim SE, it's worth the time to do it right. Played for 14 1/2 hours straight today, with papyrus logging on, and not 1 crash, running Flowergirls and having numerous scenes, no errors of note, 90% of it is simple ai package changes for Sofia as she switches from following to idling...when I sit mining etc. I certainly miss having a proper SkyUi, but the half functional 2-2 is still much better than the vanilla UI.

Something to keep in mind, even after SKSE64 is released, it will still take some time for mods to get ported over. How long? No idea, it all depends on how much prep work the modder has done and how many scripts are involved.

They had said they were going to make SKSE64 with mirrored functionality. If that happened, a large number of ports would be easy. The ones with custom dlls could take longer.

I am guessing that adding SKSE64 would require a lot of console certifications that Beth didn't want to bother, and technical liabilities it has no intention of supporting.  Can you imagine all the consoles broken by faulty HDT PE installations?  SE was repackaged for console money and never intended as a "remake" or "remaster".

That could be their motivation. But, adding the SKSE functions natively wouldn't require allowing custom dlls like HDT on consoles.

I suspect a lot of modders are waiting for SKSE64 so they can update or release a new mod dependent on it, so the lack of SKSE creates a drought effect without intent. At some point if they can't pull it off, modders will develop workarounds.

Indeed what I am waiting for. Though, eventually, other games will come out and I will be more interested in making the same mods on those new improved platforms instead.

It seems like a lot of the oldrim mods that mostly just rely on SKSE for the MCM are being ported over with either the configuration options stripped out, or a book or spell/power config option instead. 

I seem to remember one of the SKSE devs saying that even a stripped down version of SKSE64 that only includes the bare minimum to get SkyUI up and running would also include most if not all of the features needed for most of the other SKSE mods to be ported.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them release sort of an SKSE lite version that only included those bare minimum functions first and then take longer to get the rest done.  Aside from sexlab stuff, almost all of the stuff I want has already been ported or works without needing a port in the first place.

Thing is, an SKSE lite would be the same of an SKSE full.

All the scripts of SKSE (yes, all of them) are already ported (actually, they didn't have to port them, they work out of the box, just like scripts from oldrim mods work in SSE without being recompiled)

What they need to find (or check and adjust) are memory adresses, the main core of SKSE

The way I see it, skse is closer to be finished than you think, all scripts are already done, some memory adresses are already found out, the only thing left is the tedious work of checking all the other memory adresses and verify they are the same, and if they are not, find the offset. Which is I believe, a very systematic but time consuming job.

Thing is, an SKSE lite would be the same of an SKSE full.

All the scripts of SKSE (yes, all of them) are already ported (actually, they didn't have to port them, they work out of the box, just like scripts from oldrim mods work in SSE without being recompiled)

What they need to find (or check and adjust) are memory adresses, the main core of SKSE

The way I see it, skse is closer to be finished than you think, all scripts are already done, some memory adresses are already found out, the only thing left is the tedious work of checking all the other memory adresses and verify they are the same, and if they are not, find the offset. Which is I believe, a very systematic but time consuming job.

I agree.

I'm sure that it's a mind-numbing grind. But, I believe this is something that could be hammered out in a week or two of part time work by someone familiar with the tools.

The problem isn't that it's too large/complicated to be done quickly. It's that nobody is working on it at all.

: We are creating SKSE64 for the new 64-bit Special Edition. We appreciate your patience while work continues. Currently we don't have a estimated time frame for a beta release of SKSE64.

http://skse.silverlock.org/

Just because the SKSE team isn't publishing frequent updates doesn't mean that they aren't working on it. It just means that they are still working on it, nothing more. Or would you rather have one of them take time away from working on SKSE to post a daily "We're still working on it" notice?

w33beast1e, on 06 Apr 2017 - 2:05 PM, said:

and actually I'm beginning to wonder whether it's very absence in SSE is as much of a contributor to my getting my first character to 55 in 3 years as being 64bit is.

No joke.

I got my first character above like, level 35 (to 62, no less) since 2011 on SE simply because of no SKSE and minimal worth-the-effort mods that I hadn't already tried/learned to avoid from LE.

I'll finish the game, one of these days.

biggrin.png

: We are creating SKSE64 for the new 64-bit Special Edition. We appreciate your patience while work continues. Currently we don't have a estimated time frame for a beta release of SKSE64.

Just because the SKSE team isn't publishing frequent updates doesn't mean that they aren't working on it. It just means that they are still working on it, nothing more. Or would you rather have one of them take time away from working on SKSE to post a daily "We're still working on it" notice?

I think it's the other way around at this point. They said they would have a beta ready mid-March.

At the end of March, we learned that nobody had worked on it... at all... for 3 months.

Behippo, who wrote the mid-March estimate, even a month after missing his own deadline, hasn't written a thing to anyone. Based on ianpatts recent post, he hasn't even heard from him either.

I think it's the other way around at this point. They said they would have a beta ready mid-March.

At the end of March, we learned that nobody had worked on it... at all... for 3 months.

Behippo, who wrote the mid-March estimate, even a month after missing his own deadline, hasn't written a thing to anyone. Based on ianpatts recent post, he hasn't even heard from him either.

chill, these guys are doing us a favor, they have families, work and social life, its not big deal if they missed deadlines just be patient and wait for it to completed, but if it's such a big deal well u can always hire someone or a team to get it done..

my 2 cents

Nice strawman.

Given that the modding scene is essentially founded on the free flow of knowledge, and living in an age in which folks can't take a dump and not tweet about it, the complete absence of anything at all in 3 months is a fairly remarkable feat of non-participation. The guy who did have something to say seemed to have virtually had it shaken out of him.

I hear the SKSE64 team plan to release all future updates via passenger pigeon. 

chill, these guys are doing us a favor, they have families, work and social life, its not big deal if they missed deadlines just be patient and wait for it to completed, but if it's such a big deal well u can always hire someone or a team to get it done..

my 2 cents

I agree. 

There are actually some instances of people making their own DLL loader to do a few things that normally would have been done with SKSE.  I don't think it's realistic to think someone outside the SKSE team would try and recreate the entire thing on their own, but here's a few examples of things people decided they couldn't wait for and thus built a workaround until SKSE comes out:

Achievements Mods Enabler - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/245/?

and

Skyrim Skill Uncapper - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/8889/?

Both require this instead of SKSE

xSHADOWMANx's Dll Loader http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3619/?

Don't Push Me While I'm Talking - SSE Plugin -  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6444/?

along with several others requires this instead of SKSE

SSE Plugin Loader - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6442/?

It will neither make nor break my life to not have SKSE64 so dont take this comment as me taking sides but even if doing something for free for someone commitments still have a time obligation attached. If a buddy volunteered to fix your car for you and he knew you depended on it, there is a point when he has to fix it or let you know he isnt able to get to it or he is the one in the wrong, now what that time frame is depends on the situation and people involved. 

my 2 cents

I'm not asking for them to do anything. They can never build this and spend all of their days with family, work and social life. Not my business really.

However, there are other people ready to go that can at least try to get it done before SE becomes obsolete. No hiring needed. We simply need the SKSE guys to allow it.

I want to author some large mods that are a big investment of my own time away from RL. But, I'm not going to do that in a game that is past its shelf life. So, that mod happening is dependent on someone (doesn't have to be the old SKSE team) building the extender by a certain time. Should I just give up and never build it? Never try to collaborate with people to build tools that actually have time to do so?

I'm just arguing for patience, not trying to deflect the discussion.

It's not a matter of patience. It's a matter of relevance. If it takes too long to make an extender, making significant mods in that game at all will become irrelevant and not worth the time. Most will have moved on to the next game or will hold back big mods in anticipation of the next game.

There are actually some instances of people making their own DLL loader to do a few things that normally would have been done with SKSE.  I don't think it's realistic to think someone outside the SKSE team would try and recreate the entire thing on their own, but here's a few examples of things people decided they couldn't wait for and thus built a workaround until SKSE comes out:

They shouldn't have to recreate the entire thing. If the SKSE team would just allow it, the people that built all of those dll workarounds could also probably finish the thing (perhaps with some initial help).

It will neither make nor break my life to not have SKSE64 so dont take this comment as me taking sides but even if doing something for free for someone commitments still have a time obligation attached. If a buddy volunteered to fix your car for you and he knew you depended on it, there is a point when he has to fix it or let you know he isnt able to get to it or he is the one in the wrong, now what that time frame is depends on the situation and people involved. 

Yep. The guy who said a beta would be ready mid-march, to this date, hasn't written a word about it.

I'm not sure what people are going on who say that they will get it done.

my 2 cents

I'm not asking for them to do anything. They can never build this and spend all of their days with family, work and social life. Not my business really.

However, there are other people ready to go that can at least try to get it done before SE becomes obsolete. No hiring needed. We simply need the SKSE guys to allow it.

I want to author some large mods that are a big investment of my own time away from RL. But, I'm not going to do that in a game that is past its shelf life. So, that mod happening is dependent on someone (doesn't have to be the old SKSE team) building the extender by a certain time. Should I just give up and never build it? Never try to collaborate with people to build tools that actually have time to do so?

I'm just arguing for patience, not trying to deflect the discussion.

It's not a matter of patience. It's a matter of relevance. If it takes too long to make an extender, making significant mods in that game at all will become irrelevant and not worth the time. Most will have moved on to the next game or will hold back big mods in anticipation of the next game.

They shouldn't have to recreate the entire thing. If the SKSE team would just allow it, the people that built all of those dll workarounds could also probably finish the thing (perhaps with some initial help).

Yep. The guy who said a beta would be ready mid-march, to this date, hasn't written a word about it.

I'm not sure what people are going on who say that they will get it done.

don't need the skse team for shit - the skse team can't stop anyone from making their own script extender as long as the code is not from the old skse and the name is different, FFS you can even use the API to make it compatible as long as it's not an attempt to port SKSE

imo, its not easy trying to reverse engineer a 64bit s/w, but when its done the sky is the limit since 32bit is history and everyone loves a more stable skyrim, last but not least it'll be some time before the next elder scroll version releases and thats the reason why 64bit skyrim is just a filler...

i have faith that the current skse team will pull it off just give them some space to get the job done, bitching or moaning on delays arent helping anyone at all.

my 2 cents

don't need the skse team for shit - the skse team can't stop anyone from making their own script extender as long as the code is not from the old skse and the name is different, FFS you can even use the API to make it compatible as long as it's not an attempt to port SKSE

We don't need SKSE team for shit? But, we need their approval in order to use the old code to finish for SE in a much shorter time. Obviously, there is a need there.

Yes. Someone could start from scratch and re-do the same work. But, I think that would be senseless.

imo, its not easy trying to reverse engineer a 64bit s/w, but when its done the sky is the limit since 32bit is history and everyone loves a more stable skyrim, last but not least it'll be some time before the next elder scroll version releases and thats the reason why 64bit skyrim is just a filler...

i have faith that the current skse team will pull it off just give them some space to get the job done, bitching or moaning on delays arent helping anyone at all.

my 2 cents

I'm not bitching or moaning. I am pro-actively looking for a viable solution. There are others who have already stepped forward, wanting to work on the project. This is not an uncommon situation in software development.

It is not just SKSE Fo4SE is also suffering from this absent. but only time will tell.

How long does it have to be delayed before people will look for another solution?

Not a rhetorical question. In 3 years, if it is not done, will people still be saying that Behippo will chime in any day announcing that it's ready?

Archived