On 12/24/2017 at 8:42 AM, EinarrTheRed said:

Honestly not sure, I've used Navetsea and a few others.   I've not tried Leyenda's skin but from the preview pics it looks like its quite a bit lighter than the skins I was using so it could be a result of very different skin values.

If the mismatch is severe you could try re-exporting the face data.  If you don't know how, here's what you need to do...

1. Pick a time when you have between 30 min and 1 hr to let your computer run.
  2. Open Prettier Bandits in Creation Kit
  3. Under Actors filter for PB_ this will get you all the PB_ NPCs
  4. Select them all
  5. Press Control+F4
  6. It will take your computer about 30min to 1 hr (depending on how powerful your CPU is) to process all the NPCs and re export all the facedata.
  7. When its done click OK in the done box
  8. Close CK and you're done.  You don't need to re-save Prettier Bandits.

If you want to experiment first with just a few to see if that makes a difference, then just pick out a few you encounter frequently and see what results you get.  Post some screen shots if you can, being able to see what's happening in your game will give me some clues.  If possible I'll look into correcting for it in the rebuild.

Here is the post on the CK work I followed.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/16/2018 at 10:11 PM, U9Pm93pl0eMQ said:

Here is the post on the CK work I followed.

HOWEVER! Remember to rename your tintmask folder in textures if you use any high tier textures mod or you will have makeup issues!!!!! Ofcourse rename them again after you're done.

Also good thing you are back in good health (well more or less as you stated before). I saw you mentioning your plans a couple of years ago at pahe but i kinda forgot about this project because i have been using deadly wenches for it until now. I decided t give up on DW because it adds too much ridiculous crap that i don't need in my new hardcore skyrim difficulty build so i decided to come here and see what you did the last 3 years or so.

Glad i wasn't dissappointed.

Also will the decolorations be an issue for mod organizer users?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Trying to get back into Skyrim, using the Special Edition for now. The file page says this mod is compatible, but it causes me to crash constantly when traveling overland. If it's compatible, what might be the cause in my case?

For example this location, just a short walk down the road southwards from the Windhelm stables:

Spoiler

ScreenShot0.png.a0b1cab40df13c1968f85a09706e96df.png

There is a high chance for me to crash when crossing the river and walking up towards the castle. I am in full trouble-shooting mode right now. I am using Mod Organizer, no mods are enabled except for USSEEP, the two hair mods and Prettier Bandits. The save game is completly fresh,  testing my mods by using "coc windhelmstables" in the main menu.

Or the other question, can anyone confirm if this mod is stable for them using SSE and that it's on my end?

On 4/16/2018 at 6:41 PM, Phoenix_Rises said:

Great work on this mod! I've been trying to use JH people (also known as NPC 85) but that mod hardly ever works properly. 

I've noticed that sometimes I'll come across a female bandit that has a different colour head to the bod, like a mismatching skin tone. Is there a way to fix that?

What you would need to do is check your bashed/merged patch on the npc section and make sure that the looks side of stuff is being passed through all the other mods changing that npc, and you would be surprised the number of mods that edit npc, some for no reason at all.

Bash/merged are not really that good at sorting stuff out for this sort of thing.

What I do for this is have a overwrite esp that loads after the bash/merged patches which makes sure that all the npc stuff, appearance, gear, skills etc are being passed through from the correct mods, if you check chances are that most of them are not from jh but from vanilla or other mods.  And yes it is a pain in the arse to do so and can take hours to sort out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi,

I was playig with PAH mods and wanted prettier bandits so I tried it.

installed it in a game I started where I got as far as whiterun and the area around it in my game.

I went to the watch tower near whiterun where the bandits were asking a toll fee.

I enslaved the woman at the road near the tower.

She is a High Elf.

But when I stripped her I found the head colour was dark but the boay colour was nord.

Is ther a fix to this? I want into the console and clicked on it and it said she was from prettier bandits.

Is therr a patch for this? I really like the mod and want to keep it in game.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2018 at 5:08 AM, Senor Banana said:

Trying to get back into Skyrim, using the Special Edition for now. The file page says this mod is compatible, but it causes me to crash constantly when traveling overland. If it's compatible, what might be the cause in my case?

For example this location, just a short walk down the road southwards from the Windhelm stables:

Reveal hidden contents

ScreenShot0.png.a0b1cab40df13c1968f85a09706e96df.png

There is a high chance for me to crash when crossing the river and walking up towards the castle. I am in full trouble-shooting mode right now. I am using Mod Organizer, no mods are enabled except for USSEEP, the two hair mods and Prettier Bandits. The save game is completly fresh,  testing my mods by using "coc windhelmstables" in the main menu.

Or the other question, can anyone confirm if this mod is stable for them using SSE and that it's on my end?

My SSE is crashing with this prettier bandit with the two hair mods

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 2:56 PM, padezaw said:

hi,

I was playig with PAH mods and wanted prettier bandits so I tried it.

installed it in a game I started where I got as far as whiterun and the area around it in my game.

I went to the watch tower near whiterun where the bandits were asking a toll fee.

I enslaved the woman at the road near the tower.

She is a High Elf.

But when I stripped her I found the head colour was dark but the boay colour was nord.

Is ther a fix to this? I want into the console and clicked on it and it said she was from prettier bandits.

Is therr a patch for this? I really like the mod and want to keep it in game.

Any help would be appreciated.

Holy hell this mod gave me headache

Got the gray face bug, none of the fixes worked.

Used facegen export in creation kit only to get red forehead bug.

Finally after digging through lot of threads got it working.

Here's what you need to do.

1) Download Creation Kit

2) Enable multiple master files loading

3) VERY IMPORTANT: remove or rename tintmasks folder inside common\Skyrim\Data\Textures\actors\character\Character Assets

(turns out problem wich after exporting facegen data gave me red forehead bug was tintmasks resolution)

4) In CK load skyrim, apachiihair, apachiihairfemale and prettier bandits

5) type PB_ in filters to filterout pb created actors

6) Select all

7) ctrl+f4

8 wait 30-60 minutes

9) PROFIT

• 2 months later...

I'm also having the gray head bug. After trying to export facegen data as suggested by @EinarrTheRed and @quell I ended up with gray foreheads instead. Thankfully I backed up my game folder since I much prefer mismatched heads/bodies than the strange forehead issue.

In my particular case, the problem seems to be only manifesting itself with Imperials - all others have matching head and body colors so far. When I installed the mod, it wanted to overwrite some files installed by Pandorable NPCs and various Bijin mods I have - which I refused to let it do. Not sure if this is limiting my problem or possibly causing it.

Additionally, note that exporting the facegen data caused the forehead mismatch on previously unaffected Nords. I didn't check other races since I was only loading a save which had PB generated Imperials, Nords, and Dunmer in the same location. 

Edit:

Just wanted to add a thank you to the author for creating this mod. It has made my stable of slaves much more interesting though at the same time it has made it much more difficult for me to decide which ones to sell. ☺️

It could indeed be those other mods altering the race files.  What you are getting is NOT the greyface bug that is fixed by re/exporting the facegen data.   Instead its coming from a problem with either the FemaleUpperEyeSocket.dds or the Female_Forehead.dds.  Try looking for those in your textures/actors/characters folder and delete them (or just rename them so they aren't used for now, that way its easy to undo the change) and see if the problem goes away.  My mod does not alter any of those files, but some mods do and they sometimes do it in a way that is very incompatible with other mods.  That may be the case here.

On the grey/red forhead problem.  I had to go back over my notes and refresh my memory a bit after my hiatus (I've been away from Skyrim for about 10 months for those who don't know).  Here's the cause of the problem and how to solve it.

The cause is due to CK not being able to handle high resolution textures.  CK is limited to much smaller texture sizes (1k), but many people have begun using 2K, 4K and even 8K textures for custom NPCs.  If done carefully, this can be done without a problem, but for generic NPCs it can cause issues which often appear as a red forehead or a grey forehead on NPCs.  Most often the culprit is a hi res tint mask for the forehead, upper eye sockets or the lips (yup, you read that right, a tintmask on the lips can turn a forehead grey, welcome to Skyrim modding where lots of things don't make any sense).  Removing the offending file usually solves the problem.

Additionally these files, located in the textures/actors/character/character assets/tintmasks folder, can cause greyface problems when exporting facegen data for other NPCs.  So if you have a custom, hi-res NPC installed its best to disable (or temporarily rename, move or delete) the tintmask folder so that CK uses the default low res ones.  If you export facegen data and you get a whole race of NPCs with greyface (such as reported above), you've probably got a hi-res follower or NPC of that race installed, check for those tint masks, disable them (rename, move or delete temporarily) and re-export the facegen data.  Things should be fine at that point and you can put the tintmask files back like they were.

Skyrim was never meant to have the hi-res textures we've begun using, its an old game engine, sometimes we have to be gentle with it and help it along.

Thank you for the detailed follow-up post. Yes indeed, I do have various 2k and 4k followers, and the files installed in the tintmasks folder affect lips, eyeliner and eyesockets.

Oddly enough, when I first tried exporting facegen data yesterday I was sure I renamed the tintmasks folder before doing so as per quell's method above. I restored it before launching the game though and ended up with the gray foreheads. I just tried it again and all seems to be okay (crossing fingers) with no gray foreheads. The only thing I did differently was to launch the game one time without the restored tintmasks folder, save, restore the folder, then launch again. Or perhaps I'm going nuts and forgot exactly when I renamed the folder. Possible I might have done it in the backup game folder instead, thinking it was my live folder. In any case, it's working now so I'm happy. :)

I do unfortunately have one more potentially serious bug which I ran into yesterday for the first time, and it happened twice - once in a bandit cave and another time at the Valthiem (sp?) Towers. A bandit would attack me and as I damaged them there was a blank space in between the their damage meter where it should normally have text identifying who they are, ie., 'Bandit Chief'. In both cases there were one or two naked female bandits and in one case I remember for sure, the defeated 'bandit' was an empty suit of armor (no body inside it) which couldn't be looted but a naked female bandit I subsequently fought, which was identified as the Bandit Chief, could be looted for the items which couldn't be looted in the 'empty suit'. I connected these two together because the empty armor suit was Nordic armor, which is normally only worn by the bandit chief in these encounters. A further oddity is that there were 2-3 pieces of each armor item (helmet, armor, boots, etc) to loot. 

Ever heard of such a strange thing?

44 minutes ago, Thaladrius said:

Thank you for the detailed follow-up post. Yes indeed, I do have various 2k and 4k followers, and the files installed in the tintmasks folder affect lips, eyeliner and eyesockets.

Oddly enough, when I first tried exporting facegen data yesterday I was sure I renamed the tintmasks folder before doing so as per quell's method above. I restored it before launching the game though and ended up with the gray foreheads. I just tried it again and all seems to be okay (crossing fingers) with no gray foreheads. The only thing I did differently was to launch the game one time without the restored tintmasks folder, save, restore the folder, then launch again. Or perhaps I'm going nuts and forgot exactly when I renamed the folder. Possible I might have done it in the backup game folder instead, thinking it was my live folder. In any case, it's working now so I'm happy. :)

You're welcome.  You might have forgotten, wouldn't be the only person to do that ?  Or it could be that Skyrim stored a reference in the save game and when you saved with it gone it cleared it out.  Skyrim, IMHO, stores waaaaaay too much in those save game files.  Glad things are working now.

44 minutes ago, Thaladrius said:

I do unfortunately have one more potentially serious bug which I ran into yesterday for the first time, and it happened twice - once in a bandit cave and another time at the Valthiem (sp?) Towers. A bandit would attack me and as I damaged them there was a blank space in between the their damage meter where it should normally have text identifying who they are, ie., 'Bandit Chief'. In both cases there were one or two naked female bandits and in one case I remember for sure, the defeated 'bandit' was an empty suit of armor (no body inside it) which couldn't be looted but a naked female bandit I subsequently fought, which was identified as the Bandit Chief, could be looted for the items which couldn't be looted in the 'empty suit'. I connected these two together because the empty armor suit was Nordic armor, which is normally only worn by the bandit chief in these encounters. A further oddity is that there were 2-3 pieces of each armor item (helmet, armor, boots, etc) to loot. 

Ever heard of such a strange thing?

Sort of, you described several issues.  The damage meter / text thing I'm not familiar with.  The missing body or missing armor sounds like a missing armor mesh.  My guess is you've got an armor replacer installed and it probably has its meshes packed in a bsa.  For whatever reason, Skyrim sometimes doesn't load all the meshes from a bsa.  I've no idea why, that's a question for Bethesda.  At any rate, if that's the case, try uninstalling the mod, reload and save, then re-enable and see if everything is there then.  Seeing armor with no body inside it means it didn't load the body mesh (most armor have their own body mesh associated with them), and if the armor mesh didn't load you might see a naked body even though its technically wearing armor.  That's the only explanation for that I can think of.  Prettier Bandits can't cause the issues you describe because it doesn't modify either armor or body meshes in any way.  It doesn't even supply body textures, it was set up to use whatever body texture set you have installed.  Same with the bandit names, it doesn't change those (my goal was to keep things low impact and lore friendly).  Shouldn't be that much loot either, all bandits are wearing their standard bandit outfits (I didn't change those) nor did I change the loot for most NPC (I did edit the carried loot for a few Thalmor because Bethesda forgot to give them any so I copied what some others had over just so it all matched up).  So sounds like something else is adding to their loot tables or else somehow it multiplied the result of the loot tables and I've no idea how that could happen.

Thanks for the pointers. I'd only thought to bring it up since it happened only after installing the mod, but it could very well be one of those things that simply manifested itself afterwards without any real connection. Looks like I have some digging to do, heh.

Just a quick update. Turns out the problem with nameless bandits is NOT in any way related to this mod. After laboriously going backwards through every save (and passing time to reset Valthrim Tower bandits where the problem consistently manifested), I pinpointed the problem to Paradise Halls. I checked their forum and I'm not the only one who experienced this bug.

Sorry for initially implying it might have been your mod. I played with PAHE for about 40 hours and never saw the bug whereas it reared its ugly head a few hours after installing yours. Talk about an unfortunate coincidence! Anyway, better to lose 40 hours of playtime rather than 400.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel bad for all those peeps who never got their question answered about the CTD thing related to Apachii hairs and prettier bandits. The problem I am referring to is the one where you enter a certain area and it causes an immediate CTD. This problem seems to usually occur when loading in certain kinds of bandits with the Prettier Bandits appearance.

However, I have done some troubleshooting of my own to pinpoint the problem: It would seem that it definitely has something to do with the Prettier Bandits mod and the ApachiiHairs. This result came through when I disabled the prettier bandits mod and tried the game on the same save but going to the same area. With the mod disabled, I was able to traverse the area without any problems. Since Prettier Bandits and the hair mods are dependent on each other, I can't rule out whether it's the hairs or the bandits mod itself that causes the crashes. What is certain is that it's either one of them or both.

Another interesting thing is that I tried to enter the same area again but a week in-game time after, which surprisingly made me able to traverse the area again without any crases. A reasonable hypothesis would be that there is some kind of mesh appearance on one of the bandits that causes the game to crash. However, I have not been able to find which one it is. Unfortunately, I am not well versed in the art of modding and as such, I have no knowledge in how to edit those files. Since the author has also stated that the mod can be put in any order and be overwritten without any problems, I have not made any substantial changes to the load order. My load order is sorted with LOOT, and the app has so far not found any issues.

I hope this helps anyone else who tries to fix this annoying issue. I will keep on posting for any updates regarding this problem until a solution can be found.

On 6/26/2019 at 4:13 AM, Loldozerz said:

I feel bad for all those peeps who never got their question answered about the CTD thing related to Apachii hairs and prettier bandits. The problem I am referring to is the one where you enter a certain area and it causes an immediate CTD. This problem seems to usually occur when loading in certain kinds of bandits with the Prettier Bandits appearance.

However, I have done some troubleshooting of my own to pinpoint the problem: It would seem that it definitely has something to do with the Prettier Bandits mod and the ApachiiHairs. This result came through when I disabled the prettier bandits mod and tried the game on the same save but going to the same area. With the mod disabled, I was able to traverse the area without any problems. Since Prettier Bandits and the hair mods are dependent on each other, I can't rule out whether it's the hairs or the bandits mod itself that causes the crashes. What is certain is that it's either one of them or both.

Another interesting thing is that I tried to enter the same area again but a week in-game time after, which surprisingly made me able to traverse the area again without any crases. A reasonable hypothesis would be that there is some kind of mesh appearance on one of the bandits that causes the game to crash. However, I have not been able to find which one it is. Unfortunately, I am not well versed in the art of modding and as such, I have no knowledge in how to edit those files. Since the author has also stated that the mod can be put in any order and be overwritten without any problems, I have not made any substantial changes to the load order. My load order is sorted with LOOT, and the app has so far not found any issues.

I hope this helps anyone else who tries to fix this annoying issue. I will keep on posting for any updates regarding this problem until a solution can be found.

I just spent a few days narrowing down a CTD to this mod.  I had tried to convert it to SSE, but failed to fix whatever was causing the crashes.  Crashed as soon as the NPC's loaded into the cell, even though they were well outside of viewing distance when at the CTD boundary.  Had to run around staring at the ground so I could get closer to figure it out.  Turned off the AI (tai and tcai) so I could run around without getting killed while I narrowed down the area.  It wasn't consistent, either.  New games started to debug showed the problem to be random.  The same crashing areas from my main save were sometimes OK in new games, so it's a CTD lottery.  I didn't bother to narrow down any further, simply uninstalled.

• 2 months later...

That might happen one day (I've become of a fan of KS hair), but don't hold your breath.  It wouldn't simply be a "version", it'd have to be a complete rebuild of the mod.  This isn't changing the hair on a few dozen or even a few hundred NPCs, its currently at over 1,200 NPCs.  That would be several months work at least.  If I go that route, and at some point I may, I'll simply abandon using Apachii hair... its just too much work to support both.

On the other hand, I'm hoping to get another update out in the near future that finally adds the rebuilt Vigilants of Stendarr I had been working on and one other faction as well.

• 1 month later...

Okay, quick bit of news.  I am still working on getting the next build out.  To try an help keep me organized and on track I'm experimenting with using Trello as a way of doing that and also showing what's happening with the mod, what's planned and what the current progress is.  So if you're curious, have a look.

Prettier Bandits Trello Board

This is my first time using Trello and I'm still kind of figuring it out, so we'll see how it goes.  The board is currently public so anyone can view it.  Feedback on using Trello is welcome, but post it here.  If it goes well I may use it for my other mod projects.