Starting a Pateron - Help me not need a second job

Many of you have noticed that Tryout needs some bug fixes I haven't done lately. That's because I've been spending most of my time trying to find a better paying primary job, or a second job that fits around my schedule.  That hasn't been going well.

Realistically, I will need a second job. And that will mean I have zero time for further modding - no bug fixes, no future plugins, no anything. So an idea occurred to me - why not try to make doing what I'm doing now a second job? I've made a Patreon account to try and do just that.  The specifics of what I'm offering in exchange for donations are on the page.  To consider this successful, I'll need to build enough momentum for $600 a month - I'll give it about a month and a half to see if I can do it. If this thing really blows up and I make $2,000 a month, I can quit my day job and become a full time pervert. This will let me learn things like ren.py and the Skyrim scripting system.

I figured posting this in the Sexout section would be the most appropriate, as it's what I'm the most well-known for. Below is a little FAQ on what I'm sure the most common questions about this move will be. I will add more as people ask questions I hadn't previously considered.

So, here's the link again. If you're kind enough to donate, you have my thanks. If you can't or don't want to, don't sweat it.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: You're expecting me to pay for Tryout?

A: Nope. Tryout and any updates to it will always be free. Same with any other mod I've released. This will just let me have the time to make sure future updates get made.

Q: There's not much content on the Patreon yet. Why should I pay you?

A: I am working to make content so this can be successful. I have a reputation to uphold, and I also need a monthly income. Doing a short-term cash grab for a couple hundred bucks is bad for both of those.

Q: Do I have to donate every month?

The Patreon is setup up that way, but no, you don't. I have three $35 tier spots which get people custom stories or mods - I expect the turnover on those slots to be monthly, but people may surprise me.

Q: What if this whole thing crashes and burns and you make like, twelve bucks in a month and a half? What do I get?

A: Not sure how I'll handle that yet, but I'll show my gratitude somehow.

Q: How do I know you're not going to release a free mod that requires something you put behind your paywall?

A: I wouldn't. Not only would it be sleazy, but it breaks LL's 12th rule.

Best of luck, it will be really amazing if you manage to support your love for modding through dedicated support like this.

I have an eye for one of the $35 slots, but will only be able to apply for it in approximately 15 days, by which time I fully expect them to have been filled! 

Good luck  ;)

@ Loogie

I don't blame you in the least for trying to supplement your income.  I'm seriously considering going back to Poser.  A  friend of mine is working on a Unity project and he needs meshes and textures.  With the current economic environment I'm spinning my wheels making free mods when I could be basically doing the same thing and getting paid for it.

@ Loogie

I don't blame you in the least for trying to supplement your income.  I'm seriously considering going back to Poser.  A  friend of mine is working on a Unity project and he needs meshes and textures.  With the current economic environment I'm spinning my wheels making free mods when I could be basically doing the same thing and getting paid for it.

Poser was something I considered. If I worked it right, I probably could also do erotica on Amazon. But I feel like going this route could let me have more fun.

I'd go for it - I've noticed pirates are vocal, but the numbers suggest enough pay to make it worthwhile.

I'm notorious for handing out money to people for no reason. 

I'll sleep on it, but I'm most likely gonna make it rain with $5 when I wake up because I respect your attempt.

much love, many feels.

Thank you kindly!

Right now I have a couple of one-off stories planned for $5 and up tier, and a running series loosely based off of Left 4 Dead about 4 immune women making their way through hordes of horny zombies for the $10 and up tier. Still working on mod ideas.

Turns out with the way Patreon works, they deduct money on the 1st of the month from Patron's accounts. Hope to have a good collection of starting content by the beginning of June.

Guest mayaktheunholy

I would lend you some help if I could (although I couldn't help much at this time, struggling myself), but Patreon has rejected my credit card every time. Changed cards for unrelated reasons, and it still got rejected.

And funny Kendo 2 and you should mention Poser: http://mayaktheunholy.blogspot.com/2015/05/new-vids-up.html

I've been working on something with that myself.

Good luck regardless, hope it works out for you!

@Loogie

What is the Pateron policy on content ownership?  I looked at the site and read the TOS and all it covers is Pateron.com content.  Didn't see anything about what uploaders own.  I'm asking you this since you're the only person I know using the site.

You should be able to get a MasterCard gift card and use it. The money never expires and you can have a subscription until the funds runs out. A 25$ card can easily last 2 years of sponsorship at $1.. one for $2. Just change up the amounts you desire to contribute and join.

This should work correct Loogie?

@Loogie

What is the Pateron policy on content ownership?  I looked at the site and read the TOS and all it covers is Pateron.com content.  Didn't see anything about what uploaders own.  I'm asking you this since you're the only person I know using the site.

It looks like the content developer sets those terms with those they make things for. From what I've seen, Patreon doesn't lay claim to anything you create.

One of the options is instead of monthly donations, creators can set it up so people can select to pay them per job - which is useful for people like artists doing pictures on commission or musicians.

You should be able to get a MasterCard gift card and use it. The money never expires and you can have a subscription until the funds runs out. A 25$ card can easily last 2 years of sponsorship at $1.. one for $2. Just change up the amounts you desire to contribute and join.

This should work correct Loogie?

I would join, but I really don't like subscription based stuff...

Anyway, can you charge or link patreon account with paypal? I don't want to fill another fake account and make it work with ccard :P

You can't link it directly to PayPal, but I know PayPal offers a debit card linked to your PayPal funds that can also process credit payments, at least in North America. Not sure if that's an option in Poland. Even if you can't support, I still appreciate the sentiment!

Patreon doesn't require PayPal - it doesn't even support it. I was just telling windpl it's possible to get a debit card that will act as a credit card linked to his PayPal account.

I probably could also do erotica on Amazon. But I feel like going this route could let me have more fun.

Hey Loogie. I signed up for a dollar a month subscription for now. I'm in the process of trying to buy a new house and last week received some expensive and devastating news about my health so money is very, very tight and I know a dollar isn't much but hopefully many, many others will add their dollars so you have enough money to keep modding.  I've really loved tryout and hate to see it end or any of these awesome sexout mods end!

As for erotica on amazon, I'm doing it as well.  There is a site, Scribophile:

www.scribophile.com

It's a writers site for writers.  I'm in a group there that uses a business model of writing shorter smut and self publishing quickly, almost weekly or bi-weekly.  We're talking 5000 words here.  The group leader is making over 2000 bucks a month and is now using this as her job but she writes longer stories like I do.  But it's hard and you need to really turn out the books fast.  You and I have an advantage over most of the members at Scribophile because they have no internet exposure.  We do.  I intend to start a mailing list on my forum so my members will get some freebies for joining my mailing list, you can do the same if you're interested.  Not many people start out on Amazon that has exposure to the world, so do consider taking the step to Amazon for sure!

Because of my health I've taken a step back and have just been gaming for a couple weeks as I can't wrap my head around much these days but I will return to writing again soon as things give way.  If you're interested in Scribophile PM me and I'll help you get started over there.  You critique other writer's work and they critique you, this helps to avoid an editor.  My friend used to pay for an editor but she's at the point now she edits her own work and just uses the critiques from Scribophile.  Making money on Amazon can and IS being done and as soon as I can get my finances loosened up, I'll up that dollar subscription a little bit.  I also subscribe to Shoddy Cast so now I'll have two Patreons. ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your health. Hope things improve for you soon!

I'm grateful for the support - that dollar is a dollar I didn't have yesterday.

Amazon looks like it could be a good platform for me, and I could easily combine it and the Patreon to some extent - for example, putting the Amazon stuff up on the Patreon site for people above a certain pledge tier. People could pledge to get all of it, or download the pieces they want off of Amazon. I'm pretty busy during the week, but I'll delve more seriously into my options this weekend.  Thanks for the advice!