Anyone have a recommendation on a mod that can make the thirst system a bit more realistic?

I've got survival options and saw it has a tweak for adjusting the way it works, I've not yet tried it out.

I was actually thinking it's too bad that water/drinks don't just have multiple uses.

Drinking 4 bottles of water when you're thirsty seems over kill...yet drinking 4 "uses" from a bottle that uses up said bottle makes more sense.

Thoughts?

Canteens of the Commonwealth has the "uses" mechanic.  It's more or less realistic from that standpoint - in that you need to craft a canteen, it has to be clean - then it can be filled at a bottle filling station (for clean water) or you can fill it with irrdatiated water from in the wilds.  When drinking, it has multiple uses before it's empty, and you can carry several in your inventory and even display up to 3 on your character.

As far as making survival mode mode more realistic - I've been looking for something like that too.  I disabled Survival Options in favor of RSE, which has similar (imo better) advanced needs functions and settings - but more depth.

Canteens and RSE work well together btw.  RSE will recognize and appropriately record a drinking event from Canteens

What I'd like to find is a mod that monitors stamina usage and scales thirst or hunger based on that.  If stamina were "energy output" - the more you use, the thirstier, hungrier, and more tired you get.  RSE may already be doing this in advanced needs - I'd have to check.  It does so much, it's hard to know EVERYTHING about it .  @Flashy (JoeR)

I'll have to read up on those. 

It's on an entirely different topic but I wish there was a conversion of 5'oclock shadow for Skyrim to Fallout 4. 

I keep finding where someone is making something similar but doesn't seem to get finished. I wants my beard to grow!

11 hours ago, AWP3RATOR said:

Canteens of the Commonwealth has the "uses" mechanic.  It's more or less realistic from that standpoint - in that you need to craft a canteen, it has to be clean - then it can be filled at a bottle filling station (for clean water) or you can fill it with irrdatiated water from in the wilds.  When drinking, it has multiple uses before it's empty, and you can carry several in your inventory and even display up to 3 on your character.

As far as making survival mode mode more realistic - I've been looking for something like that too.  I disabled Survival Options in favor of RSE, which has similar (imo better) advanced needs functions and settings - but more depth.

Canteens and RSE work well together btw.  RSE will recognize and appropriately record a drinking event from Canteens

What I'd like to find is a mod that monitors stamina usage and scales thirst or hunger based on that.  If stamina were "energy output" - the more you use, the thirstier, hungrier, and more tired you get.  RSE may already be doing this in advanced needs - I'd have to check.  It does so much, it's hard to know EVERYTHING about it .  @Flashy (JoeR)

Well, the problem with the whole 'stamina' relational connection is that is gets very hard to implement - not so much that it is not possible, because it really is possible - but doing so in a way that actually makes sense from a realism perspective, especially when talking about RSE, is not so easy.

Reason being, RSE and even vanilla survival mode run timers to determine when thirst kicks in. Also, the game engine doesnt have events to monitor when the player is running or sprinting (increased stamina usage / AP drain), so there is no realtime mechanism to know when the player is exerting themselves, shy of running a real-time (1 second refresh) timer, which is script intensive. So, because thirst pools use timers, there sadly isnt a way (that I know of) to count where in a timer you currently are. There are two identifiable states to a timer - when the mod author starts it and when it ends, which kicks off the OnTimer (onTimerGameTime) events, so that we can do something when the timer runs out. Because we cannot know WHERE you are in a timer, we cannot say, if player is running and has been for 10 seconds, decrease the timer by 50% - the game just doesnt work that way. As I mentioned, we cant tell if you are running (in real time) and we cannot determine where a timer stands, so we cannot simply cancel the existing timer and then start a newer one.

This said - if we wanted to run a realtime timer to check .IsRunning() or .IsSprinting(), we could. But we would also need to run your thirst pool timer as a 1 second timer, that would need to terminate when thirst kicks in (at RSE default, that is 8 hours or 28,800 seconds), so we'd need to run a tick counter to know WHEN to kick in the thirst. It is doable. Its just intensive and requires two real time timers running on the same script. But then, the same could be said of hunger and stamina, so now we might need three or four realtime timers. What about sleep / being tired? Add in a few more timers...

Its not manageable, sadly. And there is no other easier way. Much that I wish there were - even just an actionable Event like PlayerAPDrained - that would be awesome. But even that still wouldnt tell me the tick count of a timer so that I could cancel the running one and start a modified one.

No, its just not doable.

@Flashy (JoeR)  I appreciate the info and your candor on this.  As a programmer myself, I understand the limits you are describing.  While it's possible to do SOME this, it's not advisable due to the strain it would put  on the game engine and script engine.   Totally makes sense.  (As a Scrum Master, I generally ask for outcomes and wait for the learned team to comment on reality/results) - so in this case, we're  in agreement, I thought as much initially, but wanted to get an expert opinion.

@Eireamhoin  It appears at this time, the best "realism" with thirst you may get is around timers related to either Survival Options or RSE, due to game engine and scripting restrictions.  

2 hours ago, AWP3RATOR said:

@Flashy (JoeR)  I appreciate the info and your candor on this.  As a programmer myself, I understand the limits you are describing.  While it's possible to do SOME this, it's not advisable due to the strain it would put  on the game engine and script engine.   Totally makes sense.  (As a Scrum Master, I generally ask for outcomes and wait for the learned team to comment on reality/results) - so in this case, we're  in agreement, I thought as much initially, but wanted to get an expert opinion.

@Eireamhoin  It appears at this time, the best "realism" with thirst you may get is around timers related to either Survival Options or RSE, due to game engine and scripting restrictions.  

My main beef around the realism was having to drink 4 bottles of water or so and still being thirsty. 

One of the mods I use seemed like it could be modified to fix this, it'd take some digging on my part or just making the suggestion to the mod author.

The canteen thing sounds pretty nifty though. Sounds similar to the waterskins I have (I think) on skyrim. So many mods...

Archived