Fallout 4 bug help

user619

I have this type of bug

clipboard_by_user619-dc90f85.thumb.jpg.91ba7b4e3f395e575ff4582da16a267b.jpg

When I add the diffuse texture then the normal texture then it shows up like this but when i don't add the normal texture it just shows up like that in game but not in nifskope

it also shows up like this in game

Looks like you're working on custom meshes.  Nifskope uses both the nif paths (Skyrim method) and the materials files (FO4 game engine method) - but NifSkope and the game engine use them a bit differently.

If a materials file exists for the mesh:

NifSkope - will prefer the material file reference over the nif reference to the same normal map.  But if it exists on the mesh, it will use it in place for a Null material file reference.  See screen below, the normal is still showing in NifSkope for the carbon fiber torso panels, despite being removed from the materials file.

image.thumb.png.792b914014ad98739fb782ae1393a0a4.png

The game engine however, will ONLY use the mesh version of the texture paths if a materials reference is not present.  In this configuration the normal map will NOT be rendered in game - but it WILL be rendered in NifSkope.

If you are trying to either remove or add the normal map and have it look the same in both NifSkope and the game engine, it's recommended practice to either always set both the materials file and mesh reference paths to the same values, or Null out the mesh paths completely and use only the materials file.

The No

11 hours ago, AWP3RATOR said:

Looks like you're working on custom meshes.  Nifskope uses both the nif paths (Skyrim method) and the materials files (FO4 game engine method) - but NifSkope and the game engine use them a bit differently.

If a materials file exists for the mesh:

NifSkope - will prefer the material file reference over the nif reference to the same normal map.  But if it exists on the mesh, it will use it in place for a Null material file reference.  See screen below, the normal is still showing in NifSkope for the carbon fiber torso panels, despite being removed from the materials file.

image.thumb.png.792b914014ad98739fb782ae1393a0a4.png

The game engine however, will ONLY use the mesh version of the texture paths if a materials reference is not present.  In this configuration the normal map will NOT be rendered in game - but it WILL be rendered in NifSkope.

If you are trying to either remove or add the normal map and have it look the same in both NifSkope and the game engine, it's recommended practice to either always set both the materials file and mesh reference paths to the same values, or Null out the mesh paths completely and use only the materials file.

The normal maps do work in game but its just that problem thats on the mush even if I don't add the normal texture it still shows up like this in game

544.thumb.JPG.91dc188c3a8c302d9a8619c0c793f6c6.JPG

Have you seen this type of problem before?

I've seen this before with another mesh I was working on.  Turned out that the mesh had vertex colors enabled, which will show up even when texture files are not present.  This is typical of meshes that were designed for non-Bethesda platform games.  Bethesda generally doesn't include vertex shading.

I can see from the image that this mesh doesn't have a material assigned to it, so you're using the mesh texture paths.  That works with Fallout 4, but recommended to use the materials file.

Can you attach the mesh?

20 hours ago, AWP3RATOR said:

I've seen this before with another mesh I was working on.  Turned out that the mesh had vertex colors enabled, which will show up even when texture files are not present.  This is typical of meshes that were designed for non-Bethesda platform games.  Bethesda generally doesn't include vertex shading.

I can see from the image that this mesh doesn't have a material assigned to it, so you're using the mesh texture paths.  That works with Fallout 4, but recommended to use the materials file.

Can you attach the mesh?

How do you turn off vertex colors

564.thumb.JPG.ca8a4408f771be5016fa7cbf4979b5bf.JPG

What do you mean by attach the mesh?

9 hours ago, AWP3RATOR said:

There are settings that can be access in NifSKope or a 3d modeling program like blender or 3ds Max, etc.  By attach the mesh, I meant can you upload the *.nif file here to this thread?  I can take a look at it and confirm the behavior.

ok

After inspecting and testing a bit with 3ds - I was able to determine it's not vertex colors (good).  This is a UVW issue.  The UV maps are messed up and need to be regenerated.  When I regenerated them in max for the back and arm piece, the issue was resolved.  Note that this means the textures will need to be redone however.  See the screen shot - where the red material was applied and how the back and right arm are now smooth as expected.  The middle back element is still pixelated and showing the issue.

image.png.a4dbfde9c7093679bbb064c66c0667d5.png

I always export to .OBJ or .FBX from 3ds - I never import or export NIFs directly.  This is just me personally.  I see a lot of vids where people recommend this, but I always have issues with FO4 NIFs with 3ds Max 2016.

What I did here, was load your NIF to OS, then exported it to OBJ.  Then loaded that OBJ in 3ds to inspect it.  Adding a new material with my red diffuse (or your original diffuse AND the normal map (whether Null or real) caused the issue to show up in 3ds.

Recutting the normals, with your original mapping lines resolved the texture issue.

The artifacts you are seeing ingame and OS/NifSkope are due to the  UVW's having issues in themselves. In  your mesh, they have inverted and overlapping polygons which cause the ghosting effect you are seeing in the render in game.  While cool, it's obviously not what you are going for.  

I would recommend cutting all the UVW's again and repainting the textures in mudbox (since you are using AutoDesk applications).  Also, the UVW tile is WAAAAAAAY off normal base, about 10x and 10x to the x/y on center to where 3ds wasnts to put it.  It's not an "issue" for the mod, but they aren't in the correct location for a single UVW channel mod.  The should normally be on center on tile 1.

image.thumb.png.11d5772e3157823dcae17c6e74ec7d8e.png

Archived