How to remove Pixilated Shadow on character & NPC 100%FIX

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the late reply, but everything in this thread is completely overkill. If the problem is shadows on actors, there's a setting to disable just that - and ONLY that, instead of killing SSAO alltogether. Quoting from my 60FPS optimization-guide:

- In skyrim.ini, display-section, set "bActorSelfShadowing=0". This will prevent
  actors from casting shadows on themselves (like holding an arm in front of your
  body). Yes, it's nice in theory, but it is also where skyrim's ugly pixelated
  and striped shadows look the worst. This in combination with the next setting
  will get rid of most of the weird lighting-artifacts on your character's skin.

- ENB SSAO_SSIL: Make sure "complex filter" is enabled, to get rid of another
  source of shadow-artifacts on your character's skin. The blur-filter won't do
  that (in fact it makes no visual difference here, so i have it disabled).
  Complex filter is what you want enabled - no noticable performance-hit here.

There you go: No more pixely artifacts on actor skins, without affecting anything else, and without raising shadow-resolution.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

First off, THANK YOU! This has been plaguing me since the launch of SSE and nobody knew how to resolve it. Everyone referred me to use mods to resolve it, but it was happening to vanilla and was carrying over to my modded game so I knew something "default" was to blame. Again, thanks so much!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/20/2019 at 3:06 PM, Champis said:

Just an update to this fix. There may be a way you can keep your SASO, your ENB and squash this problem for good.

May or may not work due the infinite amount of fooking around we all do with our INIs and the hundreds of ENBS out there. YMMV. It did however, work beautifully for me, and the world, and my character looks great again. SASO restore to my ENB, and, no artifacts at all.

Requirement: BethINI  

Detail tab > SASO.

Select: SASO-lite 

Other relevant settings

Shadow Resolution 2048

Shadow bias .015

That is all it took. I have SASO, and no shadowstiping, banding, artififacts, not even from her hair. 

Not tested with no ENB and only with one ENB. It does however, work perfectly. The original fix still works as well, but, if you are run an ENB, and Beth INI and dont use this setting, try it.

However, I will add, if set to full SASO, it looks like dogshit. Really it does. Banding and shadow striping is off the charts. Rest of the world doesnt look that great either.

Lite however, strikes a perfect balance between having it off entirely, and fixes the problem that OP created this thread to address.

Also, the advice to turn everything off, shown in the post above, is flat out wrong, and unnecessary. Some should be disabled, yes, but all of them? Hardly.

There is no SASO-lite option anymore :(

• 3 months later...