Idea: Magic in fallout 4

In the wake of the new update while i wait for a newer version of the F4SE i thought i mise will toss this idea out there...

Lets first establish that while i don't expect this to see its way to fruition i definitely think its an interesting idea.

From my time playing in Fallout 4 i have noticed with the malleability of the combat it parallels in some places with skyrim more in the sense that multiple playstyles are possible and with that brings into the question of wether or not magic in fallout 4 is feasable. personally i think thats more a matter of suggestion - for example:

what if instead of "magic" you considered the idea that an individual possesses a (or several ) potentially engineered mutation, maybe not quite like FEV but useful nonetheless.

what i was thinking was perhaps as a sort of "unarmed" character who could potentially manipulate several of fallout already available elements:

- Radiation (Radioactive clouds, - Fallout 3 Feral Reavers threw chunks of themselves, glowing one explosion)

- Poison (poison clouds, Projectiles 'spit?', poison touch - i.e punches/scratches)

- Fire (Flame throwing - 'spewing', projectile "fireball", punches/scratches)

- Cryo (Artic winds?, ice cycles?, punches/ scratches)

- Pulse (EMP)

- Bleeding ( throw able leech like parasites that drain health - potentially being looted afterwards for small health pickups or direct health on attack/drain, bone thorns)

- Physical ( Telekinesis - kind of like the junk-jet but without all the bulk maybe even less powerful maybe even catch grenades and throw them back?, damage resistance(s))

i tossed this idea around and came to draw many similarities with bioshock in how they were effectively engineering the population at first benignly (insect swarms were originally invented to compensate for the lack of bees to pollinate the plants but as we already know it did not quite end in as good intentions as they had hoped).

each "spell" or "mutation" could be an unequipped or bound weapon in the inventory ( or potentially unequipped and the item resembles some sort of syringe or glass container of some sort?)

much in the way skyrim had with its spell selection - of course i would assume it would just fall under the weapons tab in the pipboy in the end which is still pretty cool.

another idea that came to me was the idea of the mutations being fueled by chems and addictions...

it might be a good idea to include some sort of indicator such as a bar or something of this particular idea near or around the health bar showing how much potential the play has to unleash their mutant powers.

addictions could sort of work as a double edged sword kind of deal.

the more substances the person is addicted to the either more powerful or higher capacity potential the player has...

HOWEVER

if the player goes into withdrawl on any of these chems they lose the bonus for that particular chem addiction and instead receive a debuff (say the buff was +10 potential capacity, entering withdrawal turns it into a -10 maybe?)

in a way chems essentially become an ammo type, considering that the player will need to use them to reach the limits of their abilities or even use them at all perhaps.

53 minutes ago, Pacman0188 said:

- Radiation (Radioactive clouds, - Fallout 3 Feral Reavers threw chunks of themselves, glowing one explosion)

- Poison (poison clouds, Projectiles 'spit?', poison touch - i.e punches/scratches)

- Fire (Flame throwing - 'spewing', projectile "fireball", punches/scratches)

- Cryo (Artic winds?, ice cycles?, punches/ scratches)

- Pulse (EMP)

- Bleeding ( throw able leech like parasites that drain health - potentially being looted afterwards for small health pickups or direct health on attack/drain, bone thorns)

- Physical ( Telekinesis - kind of like the junk-jet but without all the bulk maybe even less powerful maybe even catch grenades and throw them back?, damage resistance(s))

Radiation - Damn hard to think of a way this would work apart from if the player was a ghoul or somehow immune to radiation damage, then of course if they are human you have the question of how they are immune to radiation, though in effect a cloak like effect where the users body is so saturated with radiation that just being close to them gives you constant rads when near them, and the closer the higher it gets, which means the poor sap is not going to have much in the way of friends to say the least.  Glowing one explosion I tend to explain away be it being a mixture of the odd body chemistry and the massive amounts of radiation both combining in a bad way when the various organs in the glowing ones body are disrupted by the damage that kills them, hence the explosion of radiation and such around them.

Poision - spit like the various spitting cobra/snakes would be doable, but more than likely would have to be explained as somebodies messing around with genetics, considering the world though not too out there, venom sacks attached to fangs would work as well, though both would be damn short range, and the amount of venom would be limited, and the amount of time between doses would be the question, in other words how quickly does the being regenerate the venom in their sacks.

Fire - Damn hard to explain as yes you can create fire by combining two chemicals and then in effect spitting it out, you would need either a source to ignite it or have the stuff ignite on contact with the air, potentially nasty for the person spitting the damn stuff if the wind is the wrong way, in which case it would be burns all across them, the other bit would be just how much of the stuff the body could store safely, too much and their body would in effect be a walking bomb just waiting for some poor sod with a bat or club or even bullet to hit them in the wrong place and they would go boom.

Cold - Similar to fire pretty much, the amount of stuff needed to make it work able, more than about 1 per day would be pretty high, combat wise it would be pretty much useless, at least for something human size anyway.

Pulse - this would be a pain just how are they generating the energy to power the pulse would be a major question.  Even using chems/drugs or whatnot as a source,  and other stuff the amount of power for it to be worthwhile using would be pretty high.

Bleeding - This has potential a cocktail of chemicals either injected by bite (vampire/snake like fangs would work well) connected to a venom sack in the back of the throat, the cocktail would act as a anti blood clotting agent and as a hear beat/blood pressure increaser, in effect bleeding the target unless they stop and deal with it, though I would imagine a stimpacks cocktail would sort it out quite quickly, after all that is just what a stimpack is supposed to do pretty much.  You could also attack the venom sacks to some claw like nails in the fingers and that would work as well.

Phystical - Tk and such again the shear power required, is the problem most games that use magic/psi tend to fudge just how the human body actually generates all the damn power needed, with magic well its magic, psi tend to depend on just how high power things tend to be, makeing those with massive abilities rare as hell and usually under some form of tight control.

Why not just fuck all logic and create machines (gauntlets for example) that have capsules equipped to the machine (think a gauntlet maybe with colored capsules hooked into the wrist area, capsules can extend part ways up the arm towards the elbow). Capsules have chemicals in them that create the effects of fire, ice, etc.  Hell, no one would think an Iron Man scenario would work in a fallout game?  This wouldn't be much more farfetched than that.

Or just go the Bioshock route and make some effin plasmids.  We got ghouls and whatnot, so who's to say more of a fantasy element couldn't be in there with science as a loose explanation?

8 minutes ago, Varithina said:

Radiation - Damn hard to think of a way this would work apart from if the player was a ghoul or somehow immune to radiation damage, then of course if they are human you have the question of how they are immune to radiation, though in effect a cloak like effect where the users body is so saturated with radiation that just being close to them gives you constant rads when near them, and the closer the higher it gets, which means the poor sap is not going to have much in the way of friends to say the least.  Glowing one explosion I tend to explain away be it being a mixture of the odd body chemistry and the massive amounts of radiation both combining in a bad way when the various organs in the glowing ones body are disrupted by the damage that kills them, hence the explosion of radiation and such around them.

Poision - spit like the various spitting cobra/snakes would be doable, but more than likely would have to be explained as somebodies messing around with genetics, considering the world though not too out there, venom sacks attached to fangs would work as well, though both would be damn short range, and the amount of venom would be limited, and the amount of time between doses would be the question, in other words how quickly does the being regenerate the venom in their sacks.

Fire - Damn hard to explain as yes you can create fire by combining two chemicals and then in effect spitting it out, you would need either a source to ignite it or have the stuff ignite on contact with the air, potentially nasty for the person spitting the damn stuff if the wind is the wrong way, in which case it would be burns all across them, the other bit would be just how much of the stuff the body could store safely, too much and their body would in effect be a walking bomb just waiting for some poor sod with a bat or club or even bullet to hit them in the wrong place and they would go boom.

Cold - Similar to fire pretty much, the amount of stuff needed to make it work able, more than about 1 per day would be pretty high, combat wise it would be pretty much useless, at least for something human size anyway.

Pulse - this would be a pain just how are they generating the energy to power the pulse would be a major question.  Even using chems/drugs or whatnot as a source,  and other stuff the amount of power for it to be worthwhile using would be pretty high.

Bleeding - This has potential a cocktail of chemicals either injected by bite (vampire/snake like fangs would work well) connected to a venom sack in the back of the throat, the cocktail would act as a anti blood clotting agent and as a hear beat/blood pressure increaser, in effect bleeding the target unless they stop and deal with it, though I would imagine a stimpacks cocktail would sort it out quite quickly, after all that is just what a stimpack is supposed to do pretty much.  You could also attack the venom sacks to some claw like nails in the fingers and that would work as well.

Phystical - Tk and such again the shear power required, is the problem most games that use magic/psi tend to fudge just how the human body actually generates all the damn power needed, with magic well its magic, psi tend to depend on just how high power things tend to be, makeing those with massive abilities rare as hell and usually under some form of tight control.

that's the thing with "magic" in fallout in a more realistic view on it, its pretty warped once you get down to the details. lets be honest someone would have to have seriously suffered to be augmented in such ways but on the other hand they carry with them quite the biological advantages.

if they possess any radioactive power i couldn't imagine they'd have too many friends either, they'd be quite the freak... but a freak with power nonetheless.

perhaps a more lore friendly approach would be to assume who or whatever augmented them used what life already possessed these traits - i.e Ghouls, Geckos, Ants, Snakes, etc.

its not far off of what was happening at Big.mt what with nightstalkers

Fire:

Fire geckos (Fallout NV)

Fire Ants (Fallout 3)

Radiation:

Ghouls (Glowing one, Reaver)

Golden Gecko (hunter too - their bite is a bit radioactive, maybe their saliva too?)

Centaur (radioactive spit - id hate to imagine what splicing with that would look like)

Ghouls/Swampfolk/Supermutants (all of these possess very high radiation resistance - its not the most unlikly trait to try and engineer.

Marie (Fallout 3 / The Pitt) (marie possesses a natural radiation resistance and a 'troglodyte degeneration contagion')

Poison:

Cazador (Big mt. had possessed these creatures - i believe the lore was that they somehow escaped into the Mojave - 'Specimen 73')

Spore Carrier(s) (although more remote and only found in vault 22 its a stretch to imagine someone using the data there to augment anyone but its possible)

Green Gecko (poison spit)

antqueen (acid spit - close enough to poison as far as game mechanics go)

Swamplurk queen (fallout3) (as above mentioned acid spit)

Radscorpion (possesses poison glands)

Bleeding:

Bloatfly (bloatflies eject their larva as a projectile - perhaps the larva could be symbiotic as a projectile?)

Physical:

Lakelurks (produces a 'shriek' that has effects on perception)

MirelurkKing (fallout 3) (sonic attack probably the same as above)

another bit of lore from big mt.

little Yangtze was a pre-war internment camp where the scientists of big.mt used them for experimentation - this doesnt exclude the possibility of biological manipulation, this could likely be what bridges the gap of "magic" in fallout.

maxresdefault.jpg

Doctor_Mobius.jpg

Fallout-NV-Old-World-Blues-Little-Yangtze.jpg

Archived