[WIP] Break Undies Framework

JosefGrey

The whole skirt being lift up by its own suspenders aren't very realistic in terms of being a broken armor' date=' but I also find it amazingly hot.

[/quote']

^_- I'm rarely one to do completely realistic stuff.

I guess if we're willing to believe a tartan miniskirt and an underboob blouse have any actual armour value in the first place, it shouldn't be too much of a leap that the heroine can't straighten out her clothing without a forge :)

On the plus side, I can imagine this would work very well for combat rape scenarios where the unwilling female (PC or NPC) needed to be stripped prior to fucking.

Also' date=' ORIGINAL POST UPDATED WITH ALPHA DOWNLOAD!

Outstanding! I look forward to playtesting :)

[edit]

Thinking about it, once you've got the mechanics in place, I expect there'll be nothing to keep others from making their own breakable armour sets. I could imagine I'd quite happily send my gal into combat hidden away behind vanilla skyrim steel plate if I had the reasonable expectation that it would be hanging in shreds by the time she got back home :)

That reminds me. Speaking of skirts offering armor value, I gave the armor a slightly higher armor rating than glass armor (so that followers would be sure to equip it for testing reasons). It's classified as light armor for now.

EDIT: Some other things I forgot to mention... the transitions between a less damaged version and more damaged versions are pretty much instantaneous. When it's transitioning from a more damaged to less damaged model, there's some slowdown similar to the BU armors in Oblivion where it flashes the nude body before displaying the new armor model. I'm not sure why this is but I suspect it may be related to the state changes in the script. Either way, I eventually plan for it to operate independent of health (so you won't have to sit there and watch it flicker as you regenerate health). If anyone knows why it's occurring though I'd like to know.

Aside from that, has anyone come across any bugs yet?

I tried it out real quick and it seems to work fine. I don't have many mods running though at the moment. I have the equilibrium spell so I could inflict damage at will right away and I didn't notice any bugs. Great work so far! I noticed the quick flash and the equip sound effect while switching between stages but honestly it doesn't bother me at all. In fact since there's going to be so many stages I kind of like some notification that my armor has broken some more.

I tried it out real quick and it seems to work fine. I don't have many mods running though at the moment. I have the equilibrium spell so I could inflict damage at will right away and I didn't notice any bugs. Great work so far! I noticed the quick flash and the equip sound effect while switching between stages but honestly it doesn't bother me at all. In fact since there's going to be so many stages I kind of like some notification that my armor has broken some more.

Actually my plan for notifying you that you've acquired more armor damage is to add a more noticeable sound effect other than the default "equip" sound that plays (tearing for cloth armor and a metallic sound for heavy).

Nice work! I'm guessing eventually the system will go past the last stage of break and you will actually be nude and have to equip a new armor as the old one will be unwearable untill its repaired right?

Something like that. I was thinking it would lose armor rating as it broke down (and eventually just offer no protection). For mage clothes I was considering losing magic regeneration effectiveness as the armor deteriorated, but both of these seem like they could be buggy.

Regarding the durability system... I was thinking that the armor's gold value could act as a durability meter.

Gold Value would essentially take on the role of the variables that Health is filling right now. Since gold value is attached to the item even when it is unequipped or not in an inventory, this would allow for easy persistence of damage (meaning when I equip an armor piece that's been damaged, it will still be damaged). The maximum gold value (at 100% armor health) would need to be stored as an integer in the DAF script's property array so that when an actor equips damaged armor the script could compare the current value of the armor to the maximum value (and thus know that it isn't at 100% durability).

Using an OnHit event, I could determine the amount of damage an actor has taken from an enemy and then apply that damage to a reduction of the armor's value (maybe apply a multiplier to balance it). This would mean bigger hits do more damage to the armor.

This seems pretty doable...

Nice work! I'm guessing eventually the system will go past the last stage of break and you will actually be nude and have to equip a new armor as the old one will be unwearable untill its repaired right?

Something like that. I was thinking it would lose armor rating as it broke down (and eventually just offer no protection). For mage clothes I was considering losing magic regeneration effectiveness as the armor deteriorated' date=' but both of these seem like they could be buggy.

Regarding the durability system... I was thinking that the armor's gold value could act as a durability meter.

Gold Value would essentially take on the role of the variables that Health is filling right now. Since gold value is attached to the item even when it is unequipped or not in an inventory, this would allow for easy persistence of damage (meaning when I equip an armor piece that's been damaged, it will still be damaged). The maximum gold value (at 100% armor health) would need to be stored as an integer in the DAF script's property array so that when an actor equips damaged armor the script could compare the current value of the armor to the maximum value (and thus know that it isn't at 100% durability).

Using an OnHit event, I could determine the amount of damage an actor has taken from an enemy and then apply that damage to a reduction of the armor's value (maybe apply a multiplier to balance it). This would mean bigger hits do more damage to the armor.

[/quote']

I've used a lot of your stuff over the last few years between Fallout 3 and Skyrim, Josef, putting a BU framework into the Mak07 armor mod with the attention to detail you put into things will make for a rather awesome mod.

And gold value for total durability does seem the best way to go its the only constant that doesn't change in reference to armor and clothing items worn. I tested the Amiella alpha and overall I'd have to say I'm pretty excited to see how this works out.

Thanks SemiPr0!

Here's a shot of the first MAK07 armor with the skirt in game... need to fix a few weight issues for some of the broken stages before I start the alpha maps. These will come faster after the first one... had to build the .esp and do a lot of work on the skirt/panty meshes to avoid mad clipping.

EDIT: Screenshots of one of the broken stages (no alpha textures yet)... I really hate the way skirts get weighted using the bone weight copy. This is after editing it (it's a lot better than it was). That said, I partially blame it on the rather extreme idle animation I'm using. It looks great when walking/running.

post-10250-13597879242106_thumb.jpg

post-10250-13597879242618_thumb.jpg

Something like that. I was thinking it would lose armor rating as it broke down (and eventually just offer no protection). For mage clothes I was considering losing magic regeneration effectiveness as the armor deteriorated' date=' but both of these seem like they could be buggy.

[/quote']

I've used a lot of your stuff over the last few years between Fallout 3 and Skyrim, Josef, putting a BU framework into the Mak07 armor mod with the attention to detail you put into things will make for a rather awesome mod.

And gold value for total durability does seem the best way to go its the only constant that doesn't change in reference to armor and clothing items worn. I tested the Amiella alpha and overall I'd have to say I'm pretty excited to see how this works out.

Thanks SemiPr0!

Here's a shot of the first MAK07 armor with the skirt in game... need to fix a few weight issues for some of the broken stages before I start the alpha maps. These will come faster after the first one... had to build the .esp and do a lot of work on the skirt/panty meshes to avoid mad clipping.

EDIT: Screenshots of one of the broken stages (no alpha textures yet)... I really hate the way skirts get weighted using the bone weight copy. This is after editing it (it's a lot better than it was). That said, I partially blame it on the rather extreme idle animation I'm using. It looks great when walking/running.

is amazing, please continue working well

Thanks! I just found the havok command line tools, so I'm going to extract some kf files and use those as a reference to re-paint the weights on the skirt... it actually looks good on other idles, but I think I can do it better (and it'll be worth it since it will be used more than once).

That is some amazing work! Are you planning to make it compatible with all MAK07 armors?

Yep!

On a side note, I can't seem to import kf files properly into Blender. When I try, it just mangles the skeleton/model. Is this by chance a common problem with a known fix? It would help a lot for manual bone weight painting if I could view animations in Blender.

That is some amazing work! Are you planning to make it compatible with all MAK07 armors?

Yep!

Just wanted to drop another note of encouragement to you here. The MAK armors are the sexiest game armors hands down, and BU was a favorite of mine in Oblivion, so I am super excited to see this project come along.

Anyway, first set looks great and can't wait for the rest! Keep up the great work, dude!

couple questions:

1. just to be clear: this replaces complete models on damage right? so just for the sake of example, damage set Zero (no damage) could be daedric armor, and damage set One (n% damage) could be say glass armor.

that being the case, an enterprising modder could completely remodel the daedric set to have busted off thorns, missing plates, cracked shit, etc...

or an efficient (read: lazy lol) modder could mod only the skin (and dispense with tedious model work) for the model with alpha sections depicting such damage.

is this a proper understanding?

2. how autonomous is the script thus far? In the thread I see a lot of updates on a starter armor model but little on the script.

I love the potential here. well done.

couple questions:

1. just to be clear: this replaces complete models on damage right? so just for the sake of example' date=' damage set Zero (no damage) [i']could [/i]be daedric armor, and damage set One (n% damage) could be say glass armor.

that being the case, an enterprising modder could completely remodel the daedric set to have busted off thorns, missing plates, cracked shit, etc...

or an efficient (read: lazy lol) modder could mod only the skin (and dispense with tedious model work) for the model with alpha sections depicting such damage.

is this a proper understanding?

2. how autonomous is the script thus far? In the thread I see a lot of updates on a starter armor model but little on the script.

I love the potential here. well done.

Yep, that's correct. Once I clean it up a bit, the script will consist of two defined major parts. One is the part that handles organizing all of the models for the armor set via a property array as well as swapping and equipping armor (and does so safely for NPCs so their AI doesn't flip out), and the other part is the "conditions" part (which determines the conditions for changing stages of the armor).

The first part of the script is what I'm calling the Dynamic Armor Framework (DAF), because the script and design concept can be used for things separate from BU stuff (and really, for things separate from armor). The DAF supports any number of stages you want, as a function in the script retrieves the number of models you have loaded into the property array. Also, you could go as far as to put keywords or additional scripts on later stages of armor so that events beyond swapping the model out occur when a specific stage has been reached.

I know you're working on armor, but I just had a thought that it would also work great on weapons! Swords and axes chipping and dulling, maces and hammers getting bent out of shape.

It would have to somehow detect and take into account the armor of target (heavy armor will dull your sword much faster than robes), but I think it would work great.

Sadly breakable weapons don't expose any naughty bits ;)

Absolutely love your work on this. Many thanks.

Thanks!

About the weapons: I think it could work for those too. I remember one of the downsides to those animated weapon/shield mods was that you couldn't enchant them/smith them because of how the model swapping operated. This would fix stuff like that (and probably be more stable too). The only real downside to this method is that every equipment slot you have a "dynamic" item equipped in will require an extra Unnamed slot.

Sorry I haven't updated in the past couple of days. Spent a lot of yesterday figuring out how to load animations properly into Blender. On the bright side, here's an unfinished Danzig cover I started last night for my music project... haha. http://soundcloud.com/joseph_anthony/mother-danzig-cover-wip

Hopefully I'll get to work on the armor tomorrow.

Good work! It's kinda bad that the armors in Skyrim don't have their own health like in Oblivion, it's a little strange when you use a healing potion and magically your armor repairs XD

But anyways, you're doing fantastic, can't wait to see how this evolves :)

By the way, I don't know if someone else has this problem, but the armor doesn't show when using High Elves, just a naked body O.o

Good work! It's kinda bad that the armors in Skyrim don't have their own health like in Oblivion' date=' it's a little strange when you use a healing potion and magically your armor repairs XD

But anyways, you're doing fantastic, can't wait to see how this evolves :)

By the way, I don't know if someone else has this problem, but the armor doesn't show when using High Elves, just a naked body O.o

[/quote']

Oooo a bug. I'll check it out. Thanks for reporting it, and let me know if you find any others! Also, a method for adding fake "durability" to armor is in the works :).

So, I decided to go ahead and do the "lore" textures for the innerwear and skirt for the MAK armor sets (Imperial Light armor skirt shown in attachment). I wasn't originally planning on it, but I figure if I'm doing all this work I might as well make it a legitimate lore-friendly-ish replacer. As for the first set of armor, I am finally done weighting it and just need to finish up the textures. Learned a lot about what can be weighted using the script and what needs to be manually done (hanging pieces tend to require attention, and now that I can test it out using animations in blender I can go a lot faster with the testing/fixing).

EDIT: pic of the skirt with the 'lore' texture.

EDIT2: Blargh... waiting for the HD texture pack to download. Realized I should probably be using that to make the alpha maps for.

EDIT3: Anyone have any requests for other pants/shorts/skirt meshes besides the one I've made? It has to be a model I can get permission to modify. The reason I mention it is that I have a feeling the skirt will get boring after seeing it on 20 armor sets.

EDIT4: Gotten a lot done on the MAK07 stuff today. Had to re-do the UV on the skirt because the sides looked stretched (which meant I had to redo the texture I did yesterday). Got about half of the modeling done on the second set of armor... but I realized I messed up the weighting on part of the skirt when fixing another part, so I have to go back and do that again. The crappy thing about having to fix stuff on BU armors is that you usually have to fix it five times. Regardless, it's getting there. I hope to work more on the script soon, as well.

post-10250-13597879380624_thumb.jpg

post-10250-13597879381692_thumb.jpg

so i'm looking at the psc . . .

I was under the impression that the armor had health, that it would 'wear out'. and that you had to fix it at a forge.

But what i'm seeing in the code is that the armor "wears out" as the player takes damage. Right?

Hm... of course armor health is more complex and realistic, but i think the health based one has it's merits as well.

So lemme ask you this: if you're using an alt-body mesh, most armors include the full body in the armor. If you wanted to do bloody body as part of the armor, would you have to add the body's damage textures with each armor or just once and set it up as a replacer for the body textures?

[edit] also, what's it need me to do to make the script in the op work for 'other armors'?

so i'm looking at the psc . . .

I was under the impression that the armor had health' date=' that it would 'wear out'. and that you had to fix it at a forge.

But what i'm seeing in the code is that the armor "wears out" as the player takes damage. Right?

Hm... of course armor health is more complex and realistic, but i think the health based one has it's merits as well.

So lemme ask you this: if you're using an alt-body mesh, most armors include the full body in the armor. If you wanted to do bloody body as part of the armor, would you have to add the body's damage textures with each armor or just once and set it up as a replacer for the body textures?

[edit'] also, what's it need me to do to make the script in the op work for 'other armors'?

Armor that has a 'durability' of sorts and has to be repaired is the end goal. Since Skyrim doesn't have a stat for durability we have to make up a fake one out of something existing that won't interfere too much with gameplay. I'll be modifying the script to try and accomplish this.

The damaged body thing should be possible, but it's something I'd have to test. It may be easier than I originally thought due to a bug with the CBBE body's textures I was experiencing when I originally made the mod. The way my current designs work involve only the "base" armor using a body model, and the subsequent stages of the armor build the armor around the body (and therefore these nif files have no body model). This is because I was having issues getting the correct body textures to display if I tried assigning the body model to an unnamed slot (which all armor objects except the "base" one require). I think I might be able to get it to work now however.

The current script will work with any armor, you just have to set up the objects in the construction kit. At some point I'll get around to writing a tutorial, but for now you can look at the .esp in the CK. The only things edited are the armor objects and armor add-on objects. You'll need an armor add-on and armor object for each stage you want (including the first stage). You'll also need a "zero-th" one for the base armor object and body model. You then assign the DAF script to the base armor object and load the stages into the property array. It's really not difficult, but without pictures there's a lot of places stuff can go wrong.

I think I'm going to test out the body thing here in a bit... got me curious now.

EDIT: Awesome, the body thing works. Thanks for sparking my memory to go back and look at that. What this means is that each damage stage can have a different body model/textures (the body is just treated as part of the armor model, as it was in Oblivion). So, now a body model will exist in every stage except the "zero-th" one, which will be a completely blank nif (except the skeleton).

So yeah, with that in mind, the body damage you were speaking of is possible. It'd just require a different set of textures on the body model in each stage.

For me, this brings up the question of how the BBP bones would affect an edited body mesh. I was considering doing some "push-up" type BU sets which would require editing of the body mesh. Could the outfit still be made Bodyslide compatible if the body mesh was edited?... or would a new set of sliders need to be made for each body? Ultimately I'd like to have each of my sets given Bodyslide compatibility.

Archived