Solution for print screen key no longer working

raan_zii

I'm not entirely sure when or why this started (seems character-specific?) but the native screenshot key just stopped working. That is the Print Screen key, nothing to do with the Steam overlay. To be more specific, the default Windows behavior of taking a screenshot and saving it on the clipboard took priority over the game's function. Maybe the game decided to not bind a function to this key or perhaps it is a race condition, who knows.

I'd say this has something to do with F4SE. Maybe the CustomControlMap is not quite working as expected yet. I noticed that some people mentioned there should be a file called CustomControlMap.txt in \Data\F4SE\. I did not have this. Nor did the f4se.log file mention anything about loading this file, which it is supposed to. I am using the latest MO however and it STILL fails occasionally when applications try to create directories and files through the VFS, so it's not clear why the file was not created (perhaps I was supposed to do it myself?).

The solution:

1. Copy the write protected CustomControlMap.txt file from the root of your Fallout 4 install directory to \Data\F4SE\. Since I'm using MO, I put it in the overwrite folder.
  2. Clear the read-only flag on the CustomControlMap.txt file in \Data\F4SE\.
  3. Open the \Data\F4SE\CustomControlMap.txt file in a text editor and search for "Screenshot".
  4. Change the value in the 2nd column from 0x2c (Print Screen) to 0x7b (F12).
  5. Save changes and exit. You should now be able to take screenshots with the F12 key instead.

Notes and info:

1. Obviously if you're using the Steam overlay or have some other tool that also uses the F12 key then you'd probably want to use another key for the in-game screenshot feature.
  2. A list of available keys can be found here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd375731(v=vs.85).aspx

Unrelated but perhaps useful:

If you're using a scandinavian keyboard and dislike having the console bound to the "Ö" key and would prefer to use the traditional "key left of the 1-key", make the following changes:

1. While editing the CustomControlMap.txt file, find all (there's multiple for some reason) occurences of "Console"; ignoring "ConsoleToggles".
  2. Change the value in the 2nd column from 0xc0 (OEM3) to 0xdc (OEM5).

HTH

Well if you use ENB and / or ReShade, you should disable the vanilla screenshot key anyways. With an ENB+ReShade combo preset you should also disable the SS key in ENB so only ReShade does the "final" screen capture.

Otherwise you may have up to three screenshots per button pressed, though only the ReShade image is what you see on your monitor.

But thanks for the tip with the customcontrolmap, playing with QWERTZ keyboard this was quite a nuisance when you use the console a lot.

Archived