ENB Depth of field Problem

theman123

Something is wrong with my ENB's depth of field. A couple of years ago this wasn't a problem, but I recently got back into playing skyrim and reinstalled a bunch of mods. Anyways, the depth of field is out of whack. Whenever I look up to someone up close, they get blurry. Shouldn't the opposite happen? Here's how it looks.

And yes I know I can turn off depth of field, but the point of this topic is to get the depth of field to work.

I use vividian ENB btw

l l l

vvv

20180106003356_1.jpg

20180106003400_1.jpg

Why not download another depth of field mod and test it out?  Or you could even reinstall Vividian ENB.  As far as I'm concerned, depth of field from ENBs are like two files inside the enbseries folder: enbeffectprepass.fx and some other one with a similar name. 

I switch the hell out of those files whenever I go searching for a new DOF for screenshots.

19 hours ago, allsunday said:

Why not download another depth of field mod and test it out?  Or you could even reinstall Vividian ENB.  As far as I'm concerned, depth of field from ENBs are like two files inside the enbseries folder: enbeffectprepass.fx and some other one with a similar name. 

I switch the hell out of those files whenever I go searching for a new DOF for screenshots.

I've reinstalled it many times before, even taking out every enb file in my directory. Still looks like that whenever I play with it :frown:

I might just download another enb and see if still has the same problem

11 hours ago, theman123 said:

I've reinstalled it many times before, even taking out every enb file in my directory. Still looks like that whenever I play with it :frown:

I might just download another enb and see if still has the same problem

Remember CTRL+F7 toggles ENB DoF by default, of course, some ENB authors like to be cute and change these hotkeys.  Use this to test out your new DoF in various situations.  For some reason these ENB hotkeys are not widespread knowledge.

Can someone explain the whole DoF thing to me? Explain why you would spend all that time repacing models, replacing textures, building more detailed lods ... stuff, just to blur it all back into the detail levels of last century? Clearly I am missing something. ls it just in case you want to take that one artsy character portrait selfie that a DoF effect is appropriate for? You want to be ready for that moment at all times? Or is it because having a murky blurry game is more stylish than writing "OOOOh look. I installed an ENB" in big writing across the middle of the screen? I feel like that is why a lot of guys use it. Or is it because you only have enough system resources to make the game look "artsy" rather than make it look all detailed?

Mb I am completely off base. Mb .... you should try installing an ENB like Organic, that has a sharpening filter, instead of a blur the crap out of everything filter. Just to see the difference.

4 hours ago, Frankfranky said:

Can someone explain the whole DoF thing to me? Explain why you would spend all that time repacing models, replacing textures, building more detailed lods ... stuff, just to blur it all back into the detail levels of last century? Clearly I am missing something. ls it just in case you want to take that one artsy character portrait selfie that a DoF effect is appropriate for? You want to be ready for that moment at all times? Or is it because having a murky blurry game is more stylish than writing "OOOOh look. I installed an ENB" in big writing across the middle of the screen? I feel like that is why a lot of guys use it. Or is it because you only have enough system resources to make the game look "artsy" rather than make it look all detailed?

Mb I am completely off base. Mb .... you should try installing an ENB like Organic, that has a sharpening filter, instead of a blur the crap out of everything filter. Just to see the difference.

To each to their own, man.

8 hours ago, allsunday said:

Remember CTRL+F7 toggles ENB DoF by default, of course, some ENB authors like to be cute and change these hotkeys.  Use this to test out your new DoF in various situations.  For some reason these ENB hotkeys are not widespread knowledge.

Wouldn't that keybind turn off DoF completely? I'm trying to get the thing work, which I did after going through different ENBs. The only one that worked was Dreamer ENB and I think its because it uses it's own kind of DoF since my enb settings doesn't have DoF on. Here's a somewhat funny example of it cx

Anyways, thank you for your help! I really appreciate it :smile:

20180108074530_1.jpg

3 hours ago, theman123 said:

Wouldn't that keybind turn off DoF completely? I'm trying to get the thing work, which I did after going through different ENBs. The only one that worked was Dreamer ENB and I think its because it uses it's own kind of DoF since my enb settings doesn't have DoF on. Here's a somewhat funny example of it cx

20180108074530_1.jpg

Again, that hotkey TOGGLES your DoF.  Toggle means it turns it on and off, especially useful for testing.  Glad you got it working but I'd still be concerned with the fact that you don't have it on but it's still working.  

25 minutes ago, allsunday said:

Again, that hotkey TOGGLES your DoF.  Toggle means it turns it on and off, especially useful for testing.  Glad you got it working but I'd still be concerned with the fact that you don't have it on but it's still working.  

Oh yeah I know it toggles it on and off. I just don't see how it would help me? But thanks anyways :smile:

22 hours ago, theman123 said:

Oh yeah I know it toggles it on and off. I just don't see how it would help me? But thanks anyways :smile:

Yes, the part where I said "especially useful for testing" means that it's useful for testing, that's how it will help you.

Using a DoF takes resources, so having the ability to toggle it will help you determine if the DoF is right for smoother gameplay.  Also, toggle the DoF to compare the changes in ENB color and lighting because most DoF can effect ENB a lot. If it's too much of a change you might want a different DoF.  Sorry if this wasn't obvious enough.

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2018 at 8:37 AM, theman123 said:

20180108074530_1.jpg

How do you enable dof for dreamer enb ? I cant enable it

2 hours ago, donguoi912 said:

How do you enable dof for dreamer enb ? I cant enable it

You will have to check under the [INPUT] section in your enblocal.ini.  For Shift+F7 to turn off depth of field, put "KeyDepthOfField=118" under the [INPUT] section.  For anything else, consult the ENB Dev website to find more info on corresponding keys and their assigned number.

Archived