How to Edit Existing NPC's in Creation Kit?

FriskyAlpacas

Anyone know of an existing step by step guide to editing vanilla NPC's in creation kit? 

I found quite a few tutorials on how to create new npcs and add them to the game, but none for editing vanilla npcs properly and safely. What is up with that? Anyone out there willing to type up a guide for us newbz?

I just want to edit npc physical appearance like hair, scars, tattoos, eye color, skin textures, clothing, etc., but I'd like to use existing vanilla game items and mods like KS Hairdos Renewal, Eyes of Beauty, Fine Face Texures, and clothing/armor mods without it affecting SOS, HDT All-In-One Animated P***y, and Sex Lab.  I've tried other tutorials, but what typically ends up happening is I save the changes I've made and they look perfect in creation kit, but then the changes don't transfer to the game resulting in no changes at all, gray face, missing textures, neck seams, or bald heads.  

Anywho. Anyone out there willing to walk myself and others through this process? 

Thank you in advance!

The game cannot directly use resources from .esp files such as KS Hair or Eyes of Beauty (standalone). You will have to ocnvert them to .esm

Replacers work fine as they are an alias for the game's own files. 

For KS Hair it is best to create the faces separately and use NIFMerge. This is usually a good idea, but even then you may have problems as some headparts will not merge correctly. Trial and error is required. 

You will have to manually create new headparts as part of the editing process and manually copy the required meshes and textures to the 'FreakyAlpacas' folders. The process is exactly the same as your own followers or NPCs, except that you start with one of the game's actors instead of your own .npc file generated in-game.

If you do not create new bodies or texture sets for the NPC, the game will use the default body and texture. It's actually not that tough, but I do take the easy way out and use Apachii Hair as the files are directly usable in CK.

If it's just cosmetic - the process is like new NPC's, except you do not have to create the NPC.

You seem to have already done it.

After changing NPC confirm with OK and then export with CTRL + F4.

Note 1:

CK does not create high-resolution FaceTints.
With NPC Editor you can create high-resolution facetints.
In NPC Editor - Just choose a NPC with the same gender, race and make all cosmetics settings (colors) as in your ESP.
Then export (create mod) in any directory such as documents (not Skyrim).
Rename the created facetint to the name of Facetint that has CK export ((is the NPC ID.dds).
And replaced the old exported CK - Facetint with new FaceTint.

Note 2:

NPCs are not dynamic like PC.
That's why meshes and facetinst are exported too.

Means: if NPC is already in save game, only ESP settings are used, but with old meshes and facetint.
The result is a gray face, neck seam and so on.

To be sure that your changes really work.

Start Skyrim -> in the main menu -> Console commande coc qasmoke.

After that in the test cell: console command help npc name - (for id)
then
console command player.placeatme npc_id 1

This is the fastest and safest way to test the result.

All tricks (with savegame) like set npcweight, disable, enable - mostly only temporary.

On 12/17/2017 at 1:48 AM, Andy14 said:

If it's just cosmetic - the process is like new NPC's, except you do not have to create the NPC.

You seem to have already done it.

After changing NPC confirm with OK and then export with CTRL + F4.

Note 1:

CK does not create high-resolution FaceTints.
With NPC Editor you can create high-resolution facetints.
In NPC Editor - Just choose a NPC with the same gender, race and make all cosmetics settings (colors) as in your ESP.
Then export (create mod) in any directory such as documents (not Skyrim).
Rename the created facetint to the name of Facetint that has CK export ((is the NPC ID.dds).
And replaced the old exported CK - Facetint with new FaceTint.

Note 2:

NPCs are not dynamic like PC.
That's why meshes and facetinst are exported too.

Means: if NPC is already in save game, only ESP settings are used, but with old meshes and facetint.
The result is a gray face, neck seam and so on.

To be sure that your changes really work.

Start Skyrim -> in the main menu -> Console commande coc qasmoke.

After that in the test cell: console command help npc name - (for id)
then
console command player.placeatme npc_id 1

This is the fastest and safest way to test the result.

All tricks (with savegame) like set npcweight, disable, enable - mostly only temporary.

I thought NPC editor was taken off the nexus? Also i heard it has a lot of bugs 

I've heard that darkness is expected in the evening.

If you do not use Vanilla FaceTints, you either need NPC Editor or use Gimp / PS to create the FaceTints.

Is Nexus not just a website? I think so - there has been removed so much that it is a miracle that Robin still has an account.

And if I'm not mistaken, Nexus is not the author of the mod, but was just hoster.

Bugs - yes and no.
It's not a good tool to build ESP, but you only need the FaceTint.

Archived