General help for re-building Modded Skyrim

Zeorik

So... my SSD failed a few days ago, which contained my Skyrim and MO folders. I have a backup of the MO folder (Well, an older one...) But it's been a while since I actually interacted with the Skyrim folder itself. Anyone willing to lend a hand/ quick guide to any changes/ steps to making Skyrim as stable as possible prior to re-modding? There's half a dozen "crash fix" "memory patch" etc. etc. that may not even DO anything anymore, and I want to know what is the most current suggestions.

It's hard to say what helps, some depends on what kind of computer you have. I run skyrim on a somewhat older gaming laptop with limited resources, so I run ENB with the "speed boost" and memory improvements only (no actual visual improvements).

The one tip I must give you, which has saved my bacon on several occasions, is: keep a change log!  I keep all mods I installed in a special folder, and I have a text file in whichthey are listed roughly in order of installation. If I apply a fix or patch, experience a CTDand manage to find and apply a fix, I put it in that text file. I've gone back to that file and folder on numerous occasions to fix an issue or do a complete reinstallation.

23 minutes ago, Musje said:

It's hard to say what helps, some depends on what kind of computer you have. I run skyrim on a somewhat older gaming laptop with limited resources, so I run ENB with the "speed boost" and memory improvements only (no actual visual improvements).

The one tip I must give you, which has saved my bacon on several occasions, is: keep a change log!  I keep all mods I installed in a special folder, and I have a text file in whichthey are listed roughly in order of installation. If I apply a fix or patch, experience a CTDand manage to find and apply a fix, I put it in that text file. I've gone back to that file and folder on numerous occasions to fix an issue or do a complete reinstallation.

I use Mod Organizer for my modding needs. It REALLY simplifies the hassle of uninstalling mods. But thanks for the tip!

I cannot help to recover, but to avoid it next time. I do the following:

I have a folder of bookmarks to the download pages of the mods, in the same order that they will go in the plugins.txt.

I am using linux, no mod organizer of any kind works, I just copy files manually and keep them versioned with git. Git allows me to know which mods touch which files, sync the Data folder between computers, easily backup the files...
https://git-scm.com/

I personally use ENBoost because I was hitting the 3.1GB memory limit and that was causing most of my crashes. I also limit my fps to 60 so the havok engine doesn't start acting freaky. I let the game decide how much video memory to use, as well as the ugrids to load to 0 as well. That seemed to help quite a bit. There were a few other ini changes I made and now I'm not crashing at all! (Knock on wood) I'm at work at the moment so if you don't know the changes I've made then I can list them out when I can actually look at the files lol.

Archived