Nexus Mod Manager vs OBMM

z4m0lx3s

Is anyone using NMM to admin mods instead of OBMM? Here are the features that are in common as far as I could tell:

- both support omod files, including scripts

- both do archive invalidation

- both keep track of file overwrites

Here is what OBMM can do:

- create omods

- save manager that shows exactly the active mods contained within the save

- BSA extractor, packager, etc

- save, import load orders

However, here is where I think NMM is MUCH better:

- use raw archives (rar, zip, 7z) as packages

- back up overwritten files and restore then once the overwriting mod is removed

The fact NMM can use raw archives as packages is HUGE for me. The way OBMM works when it creates omods is archive the loose files, create the omod information and then archive the files AGAIN. Even on my Core i7 computer this takes forever when dealing with large mods like MBP. And you make one mistake, or want to try something new, and you have to start all over again.

The fact that NMM backs up overwritten files is also important, because you can uninstall a package and be sure your game is left in a usable state.

So the question is, should I start using NMM as a manager, and only use OBMM to save and import load orders?

And just to preempt your Wrye Bash suggestion, I tried it and it's out of my league. I'm constantly lost when using that program...

I use OBMM for omods and Wyre for everything else. Bash is a beautiful thing, and you'll be missing out on MBP goodness until you get the hang of it. There's a wonderful little omod for MBP, and once you install it, set your load order, all you have to do is bash that bad boy. I might be up to doing a "how to set your basic body mod + MBP" step by step tutorial. It's really pretty easy once you figure it out - especially with that all-in-one omod.

NMM is terrible, imo - I don't even use it for Skyrim. Wyre does everything it can do except omods. If Wyre did omods, my life would be complete.

No one here supports NMM: 1st because of the spyware on it, and 2nd because it can be unstable (with its logon nonsense). It lacks many important features like oh, say like printing out your load order so you can post it when asking for help and the others you already listed (I seriously don't understand why they have not fixed this yet!).

Honestly the best and most versatile tool is in fact Wrye Bash and there is even a pictorial guide to explain how to use it: http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/35230

But in the end it comes down to what "you" want and what "you" are comfortable with. Unfortunately, last I heard, you can't have both NMM and OBMM for oblivion as they compete for the same files. Installing NMM breaks OBMM. Perhaps there is a work around now for this but I haven't heard of it.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Cheers,

Greg

I am using NMM for Skyrim, definitely not for Oblivion. I was unaware that they will conflict with each other, so that is definitely an issue.

As to MBP, I managed to get it working, but I can feel it creaking in some mods. The races, hairs, etc never seem to look just right. I was trying to avoid Wrye as much as possible because that program is just so alien to me. I guess I'll have to make an honest effort to learn how to use it though.

I felt the same way about it at first! It can be... interesting at times. It is, however, quite powerful. Once you get really used to it you find that you can package quite a few things as zip files, as well.

If there's interest for it, I'll run through a quick tut of Wyre + MBP for a "stock" install to backup, then break - as I promise you that you will, many times :) If you have that initial backup, however, your life will suck way less.

NMM is a community business monopoly. Unless you're a new at betsheda game series and Nexus die hard fans, it might be useful (not)_.

Personally, i think it's an ugly, mad, and desperate innovative move. OBMM is a number one ultimate healthy choice with manual control and systemically more genuine on OMOD. Nexus put a lot of shit on themselves like jonestown and it's not a surprise they suffer crisis on their managements and mod developers tend to go on their own way or join up with major modder community with greater freedom.

NMM is bad mojo. I could piss on it all day.

I guess my biggest issue with wrye is the lack of a consistent menu. You can tell whoever designed it did not have end users in mind. Now I spent hours in FO3edit, so I am used to contextual menus, but wrye is in a league of its own.

I would really appreciate a tutorial on MBP (and of course MBP++, etc) with wrye, but don't make one just on my account. I promise I will spend 6 hours tomorrow trying to figure wrye out. I will keep you posted on my success or lack thereof.

I have a fresh Oblivion install on my desktop, and a quasi working Oblivion install with MBP, Lovers, etc on my laptop. So I can make a comparison between the two install procedures. :)

I us both... OBMM to install my mods, and NMM to see when I have installed my mods, if there is a plugin installed that relies on something else that I have not got installed, but I use OBMM with OBSE To run and play.

Now I have installed Wrye and am now starting to use it, by good means of the picture tutorial that supports on how to run and work it...cheers Greg for the link..

OBMM for me. NMM doesn't affect obmm but it breaks fomm and the latest version? well it will not load the old fomm OMODs like BOG body replacer or breezes male bodies. so though i could use it on all four games the fact it renders some stuff useless it stays off my hard drive

NMM is like dog shit combined with spyware and some other executable breaking software build in!

That's about right. I despise OBMM' date=' as well. Install this archive! Break your game! What does that black square mean?

I think everyone would be better off by installing mods manually, or by using Wrye Bash. I personally prefer manual installs - I go through files [i']folder by folder[/i] before anything gets installed.

Yeah, if you don't, you just end up breaking stuff. That way, you know exactly what's installed, and what isn't. Another tip: Write down the order you install them, and make a couple file backups or two at "crucial" points - like, when your overhauls/additional quest mods are installed, as well as BP and all your "look good" mods are installed, another with all of your partners, NPCs, and LwPK installed.

• 1 month later...

After reinstalling Oblivion, having played it once 5 years ago, I stumbled across this guide. It's a touch dated but that was my introduction to Wrye Bash, mods, Nexus, BAIN packages, dirty edits, etc. Wrye Bash is certainly a bit of a learning curve, but I like using archives (or just folders) to install mods and being able to uninstall something and having overwritten files automatically replaced. So I think the effort was well worth it.

I've only played with OBMM in an attempt to install MBP, and that didn't go too well. I now avoid omods, never use OBMM, and never install anything manually (except OBGE, used the .exe versions for that). Luckily there's either a BAIN compatible version of mods I want, or I can adapt the omod archive to a BAIN version. OBMM doesn't have much of an interface (IMO) and has always struck me as rather mysterious. (Perhaps I need a pictorial guide to OBMM :P ).

OBMM is a tool just like any other. It isn't necessarily bad or good. As you become more familiar with mods and modding you will eventually need to make the switch from it to Wrye and from omods to bain.

Speaking personally, still install everything manually. Even bain can contain crap you don't need or want. If you extract something to a temp directory and know what you are about, they you can never be sucker punched by a mod. It is tedious and quite a bit more work but it is flawless if you are careful. Bain is only as good as whoever made the archive.

The most important thing is to take one step at a time an maintain frequent backups so that if you do manage to put a foot wrong you don't have to start all over. :)

Archived