Dreaded problems with my old computer

Storms of Superior

Create another Admin Account and log in with it. If it doesn't have issues, your local profile is likely corrupted or your PC can't read from it because files are locked by anti-virus or some other file checking program. Or your HDD is going bad. CrystalDisk Info is a free and fast way to check your drive status, but it's not foolproof. Generally, if it says your drive is bad, then it's bad. But just because it says it's good, doesn't mean it's good.

Do you have Anti-virus? Have you tried disabling it from MSCONFIG? Start > Run > MSCONFIG. You can just click "Diagnostic Startup" and that should kill just about anything windows doesn't need to boot. Reboot and login.

Going further, run "chkdsk /f" in an administrative command prompt. Sans the quotes "". You'll need to reboot to let it scan and fix your System drive.

After that, run "sfc /scannow" same thing. But you may or may not have to reboot. If it finds errors, I recommend running that command until it finds none.

If you're still having issues, you can dive into the registry and selective profile recovery, but I would instead recommend using the other Administrative Account you made and log in with it.  Using the new account: rename C:\Users\<yourusername> (to make it a backup) as well as deleting any temp profiles.

You'll lose a bunch of settings and other stuff. But it's better than a reinstall. And since you have the profile backed up, you can selectively restore settings you feel you need to have.

Archived