Custom skins, where to start learning?

Seth

I'd like to dive into making some skins (for Divinity Original Sin 2 at the moment) but I find it hard to find documentation on how to do it. I've managed to open up .dds files in photoshop but I have no idea what to do with the different colored skin files and such. Are there any good tutorials out there?

• 2 months later...
On 10/21/2017 at 12:06 PM, Seth said:

I'd like to dive into making some skins (for Divinity Original Sin 2 at the moment) but I find it hard to find documentation on how to do it. I've managed to open up .dds files in photoshop but I have no idea what to do with the different colored skin files and such. Are there any good tutorials out there?

A request has been made to repaint textures for the game here:

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/89105-need-help-creating-nude-textures-for-divinity-original-sin-2/

Every game is different but in general

Diff maps:

The colored texture, the alpha channel can be blank, or it may be transparency. Or it could be a bumpmap, or lightmap.

Normal maps:

Blue usually, and make low poly models look better (The short answer). The Alpha could be any of the things above.

Those are the basics, some games use custom tinting or will call for use a texture map to differentiate cloth from skin. (The blue channel could be skin, red clothing etc)

Archived