DirectX 9 Video Ram Under Windows 10 Fixed!

Slammer64

Just an FYI, since I'm a Sysadmin, I installed the Fall Creator Update for testing out on my network, I thought, what the hell, since it's my laptop I'll run Boris's VRAM tester and see if anything changed. Lo, and behold, I am reading the full memory of my graphics card in excess of the 4 Gig limit that was there previously, VRamSizeDX9 shows 8224MB available! Check it for yourself, you can get VRamSizeDX9 on the enbdev.com download section, post your results here!

It should help with reducing crashes due to running out of video memory.

@tuxagent7, here's the memory portion of my enblocal.ini

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=28209
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

Mine reads 40768, but isn't there a 10240 cap? I'm really confused about the exact number to put under VideoMemorySizeMB. I'd like to just put the same number I got from the dx9 test tool (40768) and be done with it. Before the fall update, it was 4064, of course, and that was the number I had in there for as long as I can remember.

Yeah I just opted out of Insider because I don't need it anymore lol

Something related, it's weird but I've found the most luck putting ReservedMemorySizeMb= something low.  On mine it's at ReservedMemorySizeMb=64 and seems to work better than ever.  I used to use 512 and this works better (for me).  If anyone feels like giving that a try, I'd love to hear if it's better or worse than 512.

In enblocal: VideoMemorySizeMb=? Set your memory to whatever it shows minus 170...

I think, on Windows 10, you're supposed to just use the provided number.

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

"Then, if you are running Windows 7, subtract 170 from that number; if you are running Windows 8 or newer, use the number provided by the tool."

Something related, it's weird but I've found the most luck putting ReservedMemorySizeMb= something low.  On mine it's at ReservedMemorySizeMb=64 and seems to work better than ever.  I used to use 512 and this works better (for me).  If anyone feels like giving that a try, I'd love to hear if it's better or worse than 512.

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory​

"For video cards with 1GB or more VRAM, start with 128 as a baseline. If stuttering persists, increase the value in increments of 128 ( 256, 384, 512, etc ) until the stuttering has ceased or is as minimal as possible with the lowest possible value."

So yeah, low value seems like the way to go.

Wish I could try it lol. For some reason every time I've tried to install the fall creator's update (like 3 times, twice through the normal windows update and once through the microsoft update assistant from their site) it freezes about half way through and gets stuck on a black screen without a cursor. If i wait long enough it does its thing and I can just manually press the reset button and it goes back to the installing % screen and is up to 75%, but then freezes at about 80% and is stuck on the install screen with a frozen loading circle, and after leaving it for a few hours and resetting it just reverts to my old windows 10 version (and i've got all the latest windows updates except the fall creator's so it cant be that). Can't find any explanation or fix so im stumped

I've had my reserved memory size set at 384 for a while now, seems to be a good number to me. Somewhere in the middle of the common values I always see out there (256 and 512).

I guess if Boris raised the allowed video memory size to over 100,000mb, then no more 10240mb cap, I assume. So I'm putting in the number I got from the dx9 test tool, which is 40768mb. still, that number is really high, and somewhat intimidating compared to 4064mb.

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory​

"For video cards with 1GB or more VRAM, start with 128 as a baseline. If stuttering persists, increase the value in increments of 128 ( 256, 384, 512, etc ) until the stuttering has ceased or is as minimal as possible with the lowest possible value."

So yeah, low value seems like the way to go.

i have tried all values up to 512 but stuttering is always present in the game when using enboost without it no stutters and silky smooth game but then you can't play the game for long, this is why i want sse to succeed so that i can ditch enboost for good.

Archived