How do you change the save game location for New Vegas?

Question

Ive seen several posts saying that all you need to do is change SLocalSavePath in the falloutprefs.ini, but its not working for me.

This is what i have : SLocalSavePath=D:\Fallout New Vegas\Saves\

And thats where the save game folder is. But NV just shows no save games to load at the main menu. I also tried editing GeckCustom.ini to no effect. NV just keeps saying "No Saves Found".

Using FOMM if that helps, i tried using the default NV launcher and that still cant find the saves.

Anyone have any idea how you are supposed to do it? I even tried changing all the fallout.ini files that i could find, even the fallout_Default.ini in the game folder, but it has no effect at all.

I'm pretty sure the .ini file setting just points to the install folder.

To be safe, Make a backup of your falloutNV folder and your users/(your name)/documents/mygames/falloutNV (the ini files and saves)

Then, through steam right click the game, select properties, then under the local files tab select verify integrity of game files

this will reset the ini files so if you've done major tweaks on them, make sure you have a backup!

then try launching the game, see if that works.

If that doesn't work, what is the install path of your FalloutNV? (you can find this under the browse local files option)

I think "SLocalSavePath" is ignored by the game exe. I deleted the entry entirely from my ini (both mydocs and nv root directory) and it still went to the default place to look for my saves. If you rename your "save" folder the game will recreate it after attempting to load a save game, giving error "no saves found". Changing the path has no effect on the EXE looking for the saves, interestingly though FOMM will recognize the new path and show the save games in FOMM but they still will not be found by the game EXE.

Only choice is but seems overkill and over complicated for little benefit.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/junction

Archived