Guard-Settlers keep weapon drawn?

You're all aware that settlers assigned as guards hide their weapon once they reach their post, and instead show this "my penis is down there" pose

4568-0-1501802750.png

Are there no mods that make them keep their weapon ready in their hands... like all non-settler town guards do it?

I'm not aware of any that do that, I will assume you are referring to how diamond city guards post and patrol with their guns drawn.

The reason for this is that settler guards use an object animation for their package while everyone else has a AI package telling them to stand in place or patrol with their guns drawn. While it's possible to create said mod to assign a new order to an npc using a custom package to patrol or stand in a designated spot for a settlement using new reference markers in the settlement menu so they have their weapons drawn. Doing so using the existing guard tower is not possible without creating a new animation for every type of gun if you want it to match the npc's gun otherwise you will see whatever specific gun was modeled for that animation despite what's in the inventory.

I'm not aware of any that do that, I will assume you are referring to how diamond city guards post and patrol with their guns drawn.

The reason for this is that settler guards use an object animation for their package while everyone else has a AI package telling them to stand in place or patrol with their guns drawn. While it's possible to create said mod to assign a new order to an npc using a custom package to patrol or stand in a designated spot for a settlement using new reference markers in the settlement menu so they have their weapons drawn. Doing so using the existing guard tower is not possible without creating a new animation for every type of gun if you want it to match the npc's gun otherwise you will see whatever specific gun was modeled for that animation despite what's in the inventory.

Okay the explanation with the furniture animation makes perfect sense.

But couldn't you just change the furniture animation to "no animation"? Because a settler assigned to the Defense resource will always keep his weapon drawn, unless they enter the furniture.

You can also work around this by placing a guard marker from a mod on a surface without navmeshing (boxes, plywood etc), so the settler will just stand in front of it with weapon drawn. But that's really suboptimal because you can't even control from which side he will approach the marker.

Removing the animation entry or use of it from the existing workshop furniture items or creating new ones based off the original and like those used in invisible guard markers causes NPC's to ignore the post altogether and instead sandbox around the settlement with their guns drawn. 

As for using a marker to place on surfaces instead would be the way to go for this and the way I would go about doing this is using a modified version of the PatrolIdleMarker, an EmptyIdleMarker or a xmarkerheading similar to the one used by the guard that posts up in front of Fallons and the Salon in Diamond City. The problem is I have no idea how one would turn these markers into craftable objects for settlement use without having to rely on scripting. If one could do that you would have what you are looking for.

Well if anyone could make that work, it would be a pretty big immersion boost ;-)

There also are problems with my workaround using markers from the various guard marker mods (increased to 6 defense so they don't occupy more than one marker).

When you approach a settlement (survival mode) and the marker can't be reached by the settler by walking, then the game randomly puts the guard either on the marker or on a nearby spot. Sometimes also under the building or next to the marker. And when you pass time by sleeping, they almost always stand on the marker.

• 1 year later...

Yes you can. I can do it if the marker is not placed correctly... they will keep their weapons drawn. Also, if you use "invisible guards marker" mod, you can place 2 markers for 1 guard and they wil start walking and drawn their weapons. If you have an high heels mod with sound, this is very sexy.

Archived