Modern Firearms (OUTDATED, NEW LINKS NOW POSTED) 2.5 1.4 by Idlesheep

For me it was only this mod doing it originally so if I left the modern firearms mod as it was when I first downloaded it then the pipe weapons were removed from leveled lists as observed with xedit so one of the things I do when upgrading to new versions of this mod is reverse that kind of stuff in the leveled lists in this mod. I want all the stuff to show up in game not just guns from this mod and it makes sense to still find pipe weapons on enemies. I didn't see any indication in xedit that the pipe weapons would ever be seen if I didn't alter the mod.

I think the shotguns are for early levels so they don't all spawn with minimi 249s and rocket launchers. That dragons breath blasting in muh face from three or four super mutants is just as challenging as heavier weapons later on since it covers up the screen with that burning graphics constantly. Once they are all down the guns make great scrap for building up a stockpile of parts for later on too. I just scrap the uzi weapons that I find so I can mod other guns like mp5 or ump when I find them.

Yeah the supermutants are unfortunately limited by their animations as to what they can use. 'Sheep tried giving them assault rifles in the early days of the mod and they just wound up charging in to try and punch you, leaving a pocket full of looty goodness when they met their inevitable death. By his own admission, when he armed them with stuff they *could* use, they became a force to be reckoned with. I think his words were "my god, the supermutant is fierce" lol. In my own experience using Endless Warfare and quadrupling vanilla spawns, getting to fort strong became a horrendous camp fest, as the vertibird approach was impossible and arriving on foot resulted in more insta-deaths than I've suffered in gaming for years. Eventually I resorted to hiding around a corner with a noob tube, spamming fiery death every time I heard so much as a grunt.

As for the pipe guns, that's a mystery. I'm using the same version as you guys and though I haven't checked the results of the LL edits in fo4edit I still see pipe guns kicking around. What level is your character Zor?

First off, I'd like to say - MF rocks! It has me replaying FO4 completely.

I do have some minor suggestions.

1. The 88mm

It's fun and ridiculous, but seeing as it's fun and ridiculous, can we please have it full size? Right now it's scaled to more of a 50mm type german tank gun. I was thinking, if you want something ridiculous that's not too big and has plenty of free 3D models, perhaps the 40mm bofors might be a decent suggestion? I'm not much good at 3D edits but I imagine mashing something up with a handgrip from a free 40mm bofors model might be doable? Also, it has awesome animation potential for the stack of shells disappearing into the back of it.

2. Visible Weapons

Any chance of getting this integrated (like the M1 garand mod)? Would be way cool to have an integrated mod where the handguns actually all fit in the holsters and the slung rifles don't clip with the tactical vests. Oh, and pretty please, sling them realistically, currently the only visible weapon that has a cool sling is the SCAR-H  and that's a shame because that's one hideous gun. (Needs to be diagonally across the lower back by default, it's the only sling option that sits where a real weapon does when you push it out of the way).

3. Bodyslide (Preset)

Thought I read something somewhere that bodyslide is planned. That would be very nice. Most ideally, a female body CBBE-ish preset that fits nicely with everything would certainly make me very happy.

If I can contribute in any way, drop me a line. I'm not much of a modder beyond swapping out a model, editting a config for bodyslide or in FO4Edit. I can do really minor tweaks in outfit studio.

Well if I don't edit any of the LL then I find PDWs in vault 111 and in every safe or bag and other small guns too from this mod and pipe weapons are never found from the beginning of the game all the way up to higher levels. When I do my edits then everything shows up normally along with vanilla stuff too. Like I said earlier the vanilla records are deleted and replaced with modern firearms records only. Deleting vanilla records is bad because some other mod might need those records for some reason who knows what mod or when. You can always decrease the chance of the vanilla items spawning by adjusting those numbers instead of nuking them completely. I have mods installed that change what the BOS wears and modern firearms completely neuters them to put vests and other things on all the BOS npcs. What I do is keep some changes to gunners and raiders but leave the BOS to other mods lists.

Finding PDWs and other small guns is not a bad thing I just scrap them a lot for parts so I don't have to spend pre war money a lot.

@sickzpack

That might be because another mod changes those lists back if it loads after modern firearms in your load order.

@E-Nigma:

I'll check that, but I can't imagine what you could have done wrong in order to be missing only one sound, so seems it's probably a bug, thanks for reporting.

@Solonlost:

The 88: presumably sized to fit animation approximately, so though it COULD see a change in the future, the likelihood of anyone making an animation that would fit seems pretty slim lol.

Visible Weapons: almost no chance at all I'm afraid as there are wayyyy too many possible variations. Possible to make a few basics maybe, but that kinda misses the point, no?

Bodyslide: a user here offered to make some bodyslide files for us but we haven't heard back from them in a while. As we've waited a couple of times on folk getting that stuff done all contributions are welcome.

@Zor: yeah, the dirty edits of vanilla stuff should get cleared up as of the next version, but that's still a way off as such large changes are planned. For the meantime if you'd like to put up your edit of the esp by all means feel free. Pipe weapons are a divisive issue lol.

The whole start of the game is really what ruins the fun of using pipe weapons since all you have to do is open a container somewhere and find a better gun. What they should have done was stick the player and their family and neighbors on a truck behind sanctuary and drive them off some distance from there and then go to the vault far away in some remote location. That way it takes a lot longer to get back to sanctuary. Some kind of long road with rad storms and hard to see and nothing around except a few things and maybe one or two pipe weapons along the way. They could throw in some flashbacks here and there as the player travels the long road back. The flashbacks could be some lore stuff like watching tv with their family or telling off their boss at work etc. Some food riot flashbacks too maybe stuck in traffic flashbacks lol. The whole beginning was so dam short it really could have told the story better and stretched out the need for those basic weapons more. The only person wanting pipe weapons after level 1 is someone trying to play as a raider type character and they want that full screwed up raider look. I think some scenes in the game use pipe weapons like in diamond city and some other places though.

about 8.8 gun and 20MM It awesome!! 

I love big gun Can you make it be turret  ? and about it texture and option Can you  make more texture and more option plz? and I think HEAT  have some problem it make my come will be white screen laging  

and can you reduced  explosive area of 8.8 for use in mid rage 

'Sup Si.   Thought I would poke my nose in here and take a look around.  Maybe lend a hand on helping you to keep a lid on.

@Haruhichan

While an 88mm turret would be cool.  I don't see that happening any time soon, if at all.   The team has way too much going on at the moment.    As to the explosion radius... I know there has been some discussion about that.  Unfortunately, I was only half paying attention at the time.

@Zombi

The goal is sometime early 2018.   With the GOTY version out, we're hoping to have it ready for the influx of new players.  But then there is also the "when it's ready" mindset as well as there is still so much to do.

'Sup Si.   Thought I would poke my nose in here and take a look around.  Maybe lend a hand on helping you to keep a lid on.

@Haruhichan

While an 88mm turret would be cool.  I don't see that happening any time soon, if at all.   The team has way too much going on at the moment.    As to the explosion radius... I know there has been some discussion about that.  Unfortunately, I was only half paying attention at the time.

@Zombi

The goal is sometime early 2018.   With the GOTY version out, we're hoping to have it ready for the influx of new players.  But then there is also the "when it's ready" mindset as well as there is still so much to do.

So in other words a couple more months from now.. give or take a week or two, lol.

Well, at least I can stop holding my breath, thank you. :lol:

@Solonlost:

The 88: presumably sized to fit animation approximately, so though it COULD see a change in the future, the likelihood of anyone making an animation that would fit seems pretty slim lol.

Visible Weapons: almost no chance at all I'm afraid as there are wayyyy too many possible variations. Possible to make a few basics maybe, but that kinda misses the point, no?

Bodyslide: a user here offered to make some bodyslide files for us but we haven't heard back from them in a while. As we've waited a couple of times on folk getting that stuff done all contributions are welcome.

I've been wondering about that. Visible weapons is a bit of a hangup of mine. I'm not a real modder, but I'm wondering if there isn't a way to make an apparel item in-game from your equipped weapon. I mean, if you can stick the model on a weapon rack, is there really no way to make an in-game apparel item maker. Then you need a way to set six variables. x,y,z, offset, horizontal and vertical degrees, and which bone/slot it needs to be attached to. Or perhaps that can be a carry style for each global weapon type. Doesn't leave any options for weapon straps, but then there are almost no visible weapons that do that.

I'm just musing out loud. Maybe I'll start looking into it. Have some time on my hands.

If you crack that buddy, pretty sure you'll be making some friends haha. I loved FNV's approach to it too, having a slung weapon looked great and had a realism about it, so I'm totally with ya, it's only that so far as any of us understand the way visible weapons thus far have been handled would involve making thousands of 'solidified' models, and naturally the script to make them appear. If you make some headway and need to talk specifics with any of us, then drop into our discord linked on the first page, we'd be happy to hear from you.

@Duk: hey buddy, welcome to the thread, thanks for the assist. Haven't kept my ear as close to the discord recently as real life has been biting me in the ass.

If you crack that buddy, pretty sure you'll be making some friends haha. I loved FNV's approach to it too, having a slung weapon looked great and had a realism about it, so I'm totally with ya, it's only that so far as any of us understand the way visible weapons thus far have been handled would involve making thousands of 'solidified' models, and naturally the script to make them appear. If you make some headway and need to talk specifics with any of us, then drop into our discord linked on the first page, we'd be happy to hear from you.

@Duk: hey buddy, welcome to the thread, thanks for the assist. Haven't kept my ear as close to the discord recently as real life has been biting me in the ass.

How did Skyrim do it? I mean Fallout 4 is basically built on a revamped Skyrim engine, if I'm not mistaken.

Skyrim weapons weren't so massively different, you only needed a model for each weapon, at most a small number of models if it changed appearance as you levelled it. Here you need for example: a basic AR15, one with suppressor a,b,c,d etc, one with optic a,b,c,d etc. One with suppressor a, optic a.... You can see where the numbers become problematic lol. If you look at the visible weapons currently available there are far fewer options, and things like paint jobs on the ru556 for example are skipped altogether.

Really? well the game switches to a scoped view with it instead of a really zoomed in reflex sight like the 3x sights in the mod. Was it supposed to have a scoped view like that?

I just found a saiga 12 shotgun... this is no shotgun this is a dam FLAK CANNON!!!! it came with the flame rounds then I added a wounding effect to the legendary slot and just DAM this thing mows down everything in seconds. Good thing I set all the shotguns in this mod to use only slightly higher damage than vanilla shotgun lol. I had the AA12 mod from modgames site installed about a month ago but I got tired of looking at it and there was no english patch for it so I ditched it. The saiga 12 beats that gun easily looks great even if it does look like an AK. When changing some of the mods on this gun the accuracy can go down to ZERO is it supposed to do that?

I was thinking about the laser pointers in this mod and wanted to ask why they don't increase the accuracy by a few points when turned on? They don't help much in aiming really maybe a little in hipfire but I mostly use them for companions so I can tell where they are aiming at when they are out of view.

Yeah enemies with shotguns + incendiary ammo have made a few areas unplayable for me actually. Ex, Slag in ironworks has 3 other forged and he has an incendiary shotgun, along with 2 others that also have it. I get cut down in less than a second whilst wearing powerarmor and I modified enemy damage to X0.25. 

Out in the open field super mutants with those shotguns also riddle me no matter the distance. 

After I edited the leveled lists and set the weapon damage for all guns to be balanced to vanilla the shotguns are not much of a problem far away except denial of vision with all that fire everywhere. Slag for me usually spawns with an automatic laser weapon like he normally does in vanilla game and those forged have flamers in that room. I have some big guns from other mods I bring with me to deal with slag by shooting him in the head as much as possible while a follower deals with those forged in there. Something strange I noticed about some enemy damage amounts is the triggermen in vault 114 they seem to have the ability to punch off power armor parts and shoot 10mm pistols better than anyone let alone guns from this mod. I don't know if this mod changes them or if it is another mod or vanilla.

So far I have not encountered one enemy with the saiga 12 shooting at me that I can remember gonna have to look for that at higher levels too. That gun can really clean house in vats. I usually find this gun in loot or being sold by a vendor or if it was on an enemy they were not using it at the time.

Yeah enemies with shotguns + incendiary ammo have made a few areas unplayable for me actually. Ex, Slag in ironworks has 3 other forged and he has an incendiary shotgun, along with 2 others that also have it. I get cut down in less than a second whilst wearing powerarmor and I modified enemy damage to X0.25. 

Out in the open field super mutants with those shotguns also riddle me no matter the distance. 

Just out or curiosity, what version are you running and is this on PC or console?

Sadly for console the Dragonsbreath issue hasn't been dealt with, while it has "somewhat" been corrected on PC in version 2.5 1-4.   Personally, I am not a fan of those rounds for the myriad of reasons that have been previously listed, but those damn rounds will be staying on.  

@Tali: Wont happen. Its hard enough to maintain ONE esp... not talking about many weapons... you'd end up with either n .esp files OR n! (n * n-1 * n-2 * ... * 2 * 1) different esp files.

Not even talking about injection quests here... so yeah... wont happen ;)

I would actually like to see a patch that removes the weapons from the leveled lists or at least makes them spawn a little less.

that would be nice.

Or/Also, some FOMOD options to select the weapons I want in.

Why not make your own patch.

Load the mod's ESP in FO4EDIT.

Copy the level list as an overwrite to a new esp (this will be an over write esp similar to a bashed patch).

Adjust the level list in the over write esp to the way you want items to drop.

....And hope the level list doesn't change in the next version.

When the next release hits...

Load the updated esp in FO4EDIT and load the overwrite esp you created (which should still point to the base mod esp as a master).

Check to see if any changes were made to the level list... if there are no changes between v2.5-1.4 and the next version, then your over write esp should still work.

If the level list has changed... look at it see if you want to tweak the new version, or if you like your over writes setup.

Then either tweak the over write, or leave it alone.