WIP - Immersive Power Armor HUD(s) - UPDATED v0.2

Hey folks,

Since I'm a bit of a power armor/mecha nerd, the helmets/cockpits of the FO4 PAs always bothered me a bit. They fit the purpose, but just are not immersive enough. In my opinion, PAs should make one feel protected, powerful, and an immersive helmet UI is a very big part of that illusion. So I started pulling my photoshop and (limited) modding skills together and started working on my own little mod by riffing off the other PA UI mods on the Nexus, and I think I did quite well for a start.

post-333081-0-21606400-1498305704_thumb.jpg

That's my version of a Raider PA helmet, built off of Makconners Spartan Cockpit (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22246/?), which I found to be a bit too cartoony. All in all, everything is working quite well from the texture side of things, but I have two problems concerning the meshes/materials.

1) The global PA rain droplet textures: they usually remain hidden behind the solid alpha channels (the frame of the cockpit, including the pictures and wires), but when I pull up the pip boy menu, the rain is projected over the whole UI, which looks horrible. Worse, sometimes after closing the pipboy, the rain effect remains. It seems that the game is not very consistent in it's use of the "CameraAttach_WetArmorView.nif" plane, where the rain is projected on. I don't want to remove the effect completely, though, since it looks really nice as long as it stays on the outside of the helmet.... so maybe someone knows a way to make that effect more consistant?

Problem solved through some snazzy Photoshopping... and luck... mostly luck. ;)

2) The second problem is quite a bit trickier, I think... in the screenshot, I used a semi transparent alpha channel to simulate the cage outside the raider helmet (much like Makconner did in their original mod). It's supposed to mimic the ingame model, and further restrict the vision of the PA pilot... you know, for ma immersion. ;) Problem is, even though the pip boy UI nif technically lies in front of the padashdials01.nif windshield - I think - the cage effect covers the pip boy UI. I already tried messing around with the position of the PADashPipboyScreen.nif and padashdials01.nif meshes positions and materials, but no change seems to make either play nice with the other one. I dunno what I'm not getting there, to be honest...

Anyhow, since I usually lurk around here and know there are quite some skilled people, I thought I'd show what I've got and ask if somebody might be able to help me. :)

Thanks!

Also: If I get those problems sorted, I plan on expanding that project to include cockpits for all base game and some of the - most popular - custom PA's, and maybe even regular helmets... if somebody would be interested in something like that, let me know!

haha look cool very cool idea love the details well done ! 

Are you willing to chair the pdf of the helmet so we may change the picture? 

Thanks. :)

Sure, I can share the PSD... it's a bit messy with the layers, but you should be able to switch out the pictures fairly easily. The diffuse and specular maps are based of the pictures I used, though, so you might have to recreate them if you want other formats.

PowerArmorVisorGlassFX_d.zip

Also: Here is a preview of the T-45 helmet... not quite sure yet which version I like better.

post-333081-0-75666400-1498403126_thumb.jpgpost-333081-0-53547800-1498403133_thumb.jpg

Please keep the comments coming!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

a bit late to the party, but this mod is the best for immersive power armor huds. I guess it's really hard to make so raider PA uses raider hud and T-series PA uses it's own hud.
But there is only 1 thing that drives me crazy - T-45 hud and it's thing in the middle of visor. I understand that it's made for immetsion since helmets have that split in visor. But it's more annoying that immersive.