Where to start?

Hi everyone,

I've been using the Nexus Mod Manager for a while now because it greatly simplifies things. I found this site after reading an article on PC Gamer and it caught my interest. I'd like to know if there are any guides anywhere on how to get started with these mods and if there is a list of mods that are generally considered the base group of core mods to start with (aside from the just the Sexlab Framework).

I got a kick out of the mods I found on the Nexus hub that allowed characters to be naked and anatomically correct and I'd like to further enhance that. I'm not looking to turn the game into a giant orgy, but I think it would be entertaining to have certain elements like NPCs having sex at inns, etc.

I've been skimming through some posts here, but it seems that most of them are geared towards seasoned veterans in the modding community.

Thanks for any pointers.

The first thing I'd recommend is switching to Mod Organizer (preferably start from scratch, but there's a method of transferring your list of mods over from NMM, you can google it).

The trouble with the kinds of mods on this site is that they're often complex and a bit rickety and WIP, sometimes capable of screwing up a game.  The advantage of MO is that it's like having as many completely separate installs of Skyrim as you want, so you can basically carry on playing your favourite game as per normal on one installation, while experimenting with any number of other virtual installs that don't touch the main game files at all, and are completely separate from each other.  This gets around the problem we've all had of getting so much into the modding that we screw up the game and find ourselves no longer able to play the game normally because we've messed around so much.  (There are a few pitfalls around using MO in such an intensive way too, but it's mainly around two things - these won't make any sense now, but I'll tell you here anyway for future reference: 1) for each virtual install, called "Profiles" in MO, you may sometimes need to have separate copies of some of the more complex mods that have complex requirements for playing with each other, and 2) for each Profile, you will often need to create an ad hoc mod from the "Overwrite" folder for that Profile, this is VERY important, and can cause hair pulling sessions if you don't adhere to it rigorously.  Overwrite should ALWAYS be clear.)

Once you're using MO and familiar with it and its possible pitfalls and how to avoid them, it's really plain sailing after that, you can experiment with mods and combinations of mods to your heart's content.

The Sexlab mods that turn Skyrim into a sex sim come in all varieties, to suit pretty much every taste.  There are mods that just enhance a normal roleplaying game, and just make it an adult game in an immersive way (e.g. you can fuck your wives, or chat people up normally, romance them, etc.), there are mods that involve prostitution, then things like rape in defeat, and all sorts of fetishes and kinks, etc., which can turn Skyrim into a completely different game, as wild and whacky as you like.  Browse the Sexlab downloads section and you will get a feel.

There's no other way of getting used to all this other than just nosing around really, you gradually get a feel for it as you go - and again, the advantage of MO is that you can do this while still enjoying Skyrim as Skyrim in your favourite game with your favourite character at the same time (and you can gradually add the sex things that work to that favourite game over time, when you understand them and know how they work, their quirks, etc.)

I'd just say one thing: it's tempting initially to get excited like a kid in a candy store and put everything but the kitchen sink in, but that's a sure road to a non-working Profile.  Start slow, with just one or two things.  Get your basic glamour stuff set up, get your characters looking the way you like them, with HDT (which gives a body that jiggles naturally, can wear high heels, etc.).  Then experiment with another mod on another Profile, get to know that, then build up a combination that works in another Profile.  Don't try to do everything in one Profile.  (To do this, it's best to set up a sort of "base" Profile with an Alternate Start mod, that has whatever world graphics upgrades and basic game enhancements, UI, etc., that you like, and farm off new Profiles to experiment with from that base Profile.)

As for specific mods, you know about Sexlab, so that's for the sex animations and behaviour side.  Bodyslide, the most popular female body mod (which uses a CBBE base but can be modified) isn't absolutely essential, but it's a good place to start and is easy to use (you can also convert armors to your particular favourite body type).  It used to be the case that each body type would be a whole different thing, and armors would have to be converted, but now with Bodyslide each individual player can mold the body they want, and convert any armors specifically for that, so in effect everyone can have their own special body if they want (though there are plenty presets). 

There are less male options, but there are some (although they don't work in Bodyslide, which is only for female bodies).  There's a mod that has a couple of good options, and allows in-game erection, which makes quite realistic sex in-game possible, called Schlongs of Skyrim.  It's pretty much the male complement to Bodyslide and the female body mods, and with those two plus Sexlab, that's your foundation. 

There's a more recent all-in-one alternative to Sexlab called OSEX, which gives more control and makes sex more of a detailed experience (e.g. various kinds of immersive foreplay leading into sex).  I've never used it but I've seen good things about it.  Sexlab is more basic, but it has tons of compatible mods for it.  (Think of OSEX as Apple, and Sexlab as PC.  One is more of a complete package, the other has more third-party stuff for it.)

Finally, ALWAYS be careful and patient about the compatibility list for a mod, and obey the modder's instructions carefully, always read through as much of the relevant discussions about a given mod as you can bear, so you see typical problems people have and avoid them.  And as I said, go slow, start judiciously with one or two sex sim modifications.

If you follow these general rules, you'll get into it, and be up and running within a week or so. 

I think that's as much as can be said on a general level, really.

P.S.  There are a few threads about this, but at the moment Skyrim Special Edition isn't really as far advanced for sex sim stuff as the classic version of the game (called "Oldrim").  There are a few things that have been switched over, but progress is quite slow.  Oldrim on the other hand is very highly developed for the sex stuff, so you might want to stick to that for sex things for now, keeping SSE for "straight" Skyrim gameplay (there are enough mods for SSE for that).

I'd like to know if there are any guides anywhere on how to get started with these mods and if there is a list of mods that are generally considered the base group of core mods to start with (aside from the just the Sexlab Framework).

depending on what your into....

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/3524-sexlab-more-nasty-critters-install-guide/

edit: and you need the Legendary Edition/32Bit version of Skyrim, SE wont work.

Thanks gurugeorge and MadMansGun!

@gurugeorge - I appreciate the time you invested in that post -- it's very thorough & informative: precisely what I'll need to get started. I've bookmarked this page so I can refer to it once I get the ball rolling.

It's a shame that SE has so many limitations. That's the version I have currently installed and I'm not sure I want to start from absolute scratch in trying to pretty up the game when I plan on upgrading to a new rig very soon. Guess that's something I'll need to contemplate.

Have a great week.

Whilst it is true that SexLab is not available for SSE at the moment, there is an alternative for SSE: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5941/?

The main differences are SexLab has a wide range of addons catering for different approaches/depravities.. but requires quite a few mods to achieve that. FlowerGirls is more of a lightweight approach but tries to make it fit into the gameworld seamlessly as an all-in-one solution. 

Archived