The PC Gamer article on LL

Vintovka98

At the risk of sounding elitist, the users here seem to be a bit more educated/cosmopolitan/libertarian (in the sense of accepting of others) than the general population.  Self censorship does happen, as we can cite the Fourplay (FO4 sex mod) being pulled down to "fix" some issues with unintended uses of the mods.  The discussion about that was entertaining and illuminating on how a small dedicated group works.   The article does dance around the concept of immersion (though it was Ashal mostly being quoted) and does provide a counter point to those that would say "It promotes rape!"

<cue the song "Camelot" (Richard Burton 1978 version)>

However, my fear is that this will lead to attention by the same people who demand "someone should pay" if they are offended by anything that could be seen as sexist, misogynistic, or just to plain titillating.  I do not count on those people being fair and balanced and say "well, they also have an active homosexual modding community."   This may end up leading to the demise of the best, most comprehensive modding sites in existence.

At the risk of sounding elitist, the users here seem to be a bit more educated/cosmopolitan/libertarian (in the sense of accepting of others) than the general population.  Self censorship does happen, as we can cite the Fourplay (FO4 sex mod) being pulled down to "fix" some issues with unintended uses of the mods.  The discussion about that was entertaining and illuminating on how a small dedicated group works.   The article does dance around the concept of immersion (though it was Ashal mostly being quoted) and does provide a counter point to those that would say "It promotes rape!"

<cue the song "Camelot" (Richard Burton 1978 version)>

However, my fear is that this will lead to attention by the same people who demand "someone should pay" if they are offended by anything that could be seen as sexist, misogynistic, or just to plain titillating.  I do not count on those people being fair and balanced and say "well, they also have an active homosexual modding community."   This may end up leading to the demise of the best, most comprehensive modding sites in existence.

The general population is exceptionally prudish, in my opinion. Blood and gore in games? It's okay as long as you're older than <accepted age>. Sex in games? Go to hell, you evil sumbitch! Again, in my opinion, the world would be a better place if sex was treated as the natural and enjoyable act that it is in practice.

The rape hysteria is especially annoying. It diminishes the trauma of actual rape, and demonizes a huge swath of the population. I use Defeat and enjoy the immersion of it, but wouldn't want to be raped in real life. If Defeat didn't exist, I'd write something similar for myself. Not because I want to be raped, but because I can't imagine Nirn as some puritanical utopia, and that harms my immersion when I play.

The article was good, but wishy-washy. I can't fault the author for that, because even a word out of place can cost one one's job and any future jobs these days. While it was fair, it does highlight why sites like LL are stigmatized. Promising and sad at the same time...

• 2 weeks later...

By way of philosophical discussion...I'm reminded of why the Marquis de Sade wrote "Justine" and other works - while he indulged (up to a degree) in the activities he wrote about in his works - it was really move of a safe way to express his desires than to act them out for real.  A safety valve if you will.   I personally think the Internet (and the anonymity it offers) offers the same kind of safe environment to explore not quite so vanilla interests. (well...up to a point) 

I see a good deal of the same thing in virtually every online enviroment when it comes to sex.  For instance..World of Warcraft?  Goldshire was notorious for what was politely termed as "Erotic Role Play" although I'd just call it the red light district of World of Warcraft.  Similarly,  Second Life also offers opportunities to explore the more deviant aspects that life has to offer you in a purely virtual world. 

Personally I think it's a healthy way to explore (with some caveats like not getting TOO caught up in it) the not quite so vanilla aspects of sex and carnality. 

Archived