FO3 fixes: Anyone intersted in making FO3 not suck ?

You know what really bugs me in New Vegas? The existence of Fire Ants and Enclave crates.

The crates I can kind of understand; both east and west coast Enclave factions would share the same crate design. The fact that they appear outside of the bunker, though, bugs the fuck out of me. Why in the name of President Richardson can you BUY two of them for the Lucky 38 presidential suite? Why would the Van Graff's have one?

Fire breathing things aren't new to Fallout; those FUCKING FIRE GECKOS prove that, but I thought the Fire Ants were a genetic anomaly caused by a scientist on the east coast, one that may have well been fixed because of the Lone Wanderer. So why are they all the way out in the Mojave, still spewing fire?

Should have brought back the Wanamingo...

You know what really bugs me in New Vegas? The existence of Fire Ants and Enclave crates.

The crates I can kind of understand; both east and west coast Enclave factions would share the same crate design. The fact that they appear outside of the bunker' date=' though, bugs the fuck out of me. Why in the name of President Richardson can you BUY two of them for the Lucky 38 presidential suite? Why would the Van Graff's have one?

Fire breathing things aren't new to Fallout; those FUCKING FIRE GECKOS prove that, but I thought the Fire Ants were a genetic anomaly caused by a scientist on the east coast, one that may have well been fixed because of the Lone Wanderer. So why are they all the way out in the Mojave, still spewing fire?

Should have brought back the Wanamingo...

[/quote']

Don't forget the M-72.

As for the crates, they were prewar models I bet (as the enclave would have lots and lots of them) which makes them very common.

Hey there kashwaba' date='

thanks for your thoughts.

I like to share a few more with you.

For me, Fallout 1 was about a man (or woman), an ordinary Vault Dweller who, in order to save his community and untimately his world, sacrificed himself for a greater good. In the course of accomplishing his quest he grew and he lost his innocenence. In the end, he even lost, or was barred from the community he set out to save. This is the kind of stuff that the greatest stories are made of. This is pretty epic. This is Lord of the rings type stuff.

Fallout 2, was about the direct tribal decendant of the of this Vault Dweller, who also, in order to save his community and untimately his world, sacrificed himself for a greater good. He also grew and he lost his innocenence. Still strong theme of self-sacrifice. Still pretty epic stuff. This is Star Wars type stuff.

Fallout Tactics, while a fun game, was not the same type of game.

Fallout 3, was about another Vault Dweller, who ultimately takes on the task to save the world (at least the part he knows). Still strong theme of self-sacrifice for greater good for both character and his father. Still pretty epic stuff. Let's call this Seven Samurai type stuff.

Fallout NV, was about a Courier (what?) who survives being shot point blank in the forehead with a .45. Who seeks revenge on the guy who shot him. Not really very Fallout-esqe or at all epic. Let's call it Diehard type stuff ( i.e. still good but not really important).

I think I'd feel the same way if the next Elder Scrolls game after Skyrim had the player character be a mailman and the main quest be to track down the guy who stabbed him and stole his horse.

Looking forward to hearing your and anyone else's thoughts.

cheers,

R13.[/quote']

That pretty much sums it up nicely, I lost interest, been more interested in Modding , heven't finished the main quest ot even started any of the DLC's.

Still Any Fallout is better than no Fallout :)

I feel exactly the same way about Skyrim and Oblivion as I do about FONV. They both start you off as a random prisoner with no stake at all in the story. You're freed and then told "you need to go (save the world)!" In both games absolutely no motivation for you to even start the main quest is given' date=' and so, I haven't followed the story for either one beyond my escape.

[/quote']

I guess that is the problem with "sandbox"-type games. In order to have all possibilities open you really end up as a big frikkin' nobody, no ties to anyone, no motivations, always an outsider, a freelancer drifting around finishing random quests or following the main quest because... well, the questcompass points in that direction.

While I do love sandbox-games for the possibilites they offer, it is an art to create them in such a way that you are motivated and immersed in the world. Most of all they should however exlain why the hell you are there, that is where Skyrim REALLY failed, even if you play a nord you appearently don't have a clue about nord culture, or any attachments in all of Skyrim... For this reason I prefer RPG's which provide you with an identity from the start, however tentative that identity is. FNV succeded here for the first half of them game, but as has been said by many others here, after you kill Benny that motivation is lost.

As iam reading that and i personally never played FO1/FO2 This is FO3: you live in a vault where nothing is allowed than WORK WORK! than you come out of that thing AND ALL OF THE SUDDEN YOU KNOW HOW TO DISABLE A NUCLEAR BOMB! And properly use every weapon you find!

It's the same in Fallout 1 and 2.

In 1, you're from a Vault that was never meant to be opened. Things are peaceful. Then you're randomly picked from a group of young people to go out into the world and find a water chip. The moment you leave, you instantly know how to use a hand gun. As you venture out, you instantly know how to use a 10mm SMG, when you find power armor you instantly know how to use it (as does every follower that's not Dogmeat) and, in the end, you know how to arm TWO nuclear weapons and deactivate force fields.

In 2, you're a Tribal. Your people are backwards and superstitious. Yet once out of Arroyo, you know how to use all manner of guns, power armor, controlling a robot to fix a nuclear reactor, fix an oil tanker, fix the computer controlling Vault 13, fix a cyberdog, arm a nuclear weapon, drive a car, use a computer to change the turret target...

It's part of Fallout to either instantly know how to use things, or that when you boost your skills, you instantly know how to do things.

In Fallout 1 and 2, you pick up right as the character is leaving the vault/village. No way of knowing what previous training your character had before that. Granted, in 2 you're a tribal with little to no exposure to advanced tech, but "civilization" as it were isn't that far away so presumably you've had some exposure to guns. In Fallout 3, you only get to see a few minutes every few years, so again, no way of knowing what other training you had. But in 3 there's the BB gun you get for your tenth birthday. To me, that was a setup for Dad training you how to use guns in general. And then there's the fact that the vaults did have security forces. What says before going outside your character wasn't being trained for security?

I think the idea behind tag skills are to reflect what your character is, or was, trained in. The limit of three (with a perk needed to get a fourth) was to reflect that to be truly skilled in something, you have to narrow in and focus on only a select few.

Of course, this all goes out the window if you choose to put skill points in things that AREN'T your tag skills, and the fact that you can, with some planning, easily reach 100 in pretty much any skill, and of course get over 100 in the earlier games.

Of course, some still don't make any sense; in FO3, for example, you see no energy weapons at all in Vault 101, yet you can have it as a tag skill and, depending on how you do things, have a 100 in it before you ever find your first energy weapon in the game.

I think Fallout 2 handled the skill point issue best. Tag skills were a 2/1 increase for skillpoint expenditures while non tags were 1/1 up to 100 and then 1/2 over 100. (points gained/points spent)

As far as the energy weapon issue in 3, just because the vault didn't have energy weapons didn't mean they didn't have educational materials about energy weapons. Theoretical knowledge may not be the same as practical knowledge, but its a good jumpstart when you get the chance to put theory into practice.

both FO and FO2 used that tag system, of course they were also the same engine with only small updates between the two.

As for energy weapons and that whole thing, yes I actually COULD see a slight change in it where skills go up thru use, with the tag and levelup point allocation going towards a rate at which that skill increases per use.

I started on Wasteland, then played Fallout 1, 2, 3 and NV and I loved them all. There are a lot of majorly annoying things about the storyline in 3, mostly due to them trying to shovel the BoS, the Supermutants, the Enclave, the Church of Atom and a bunch of other generic Fallout entities into a setting they don't belong in. They should have made up their own factions and enemies ; 1/2/NV never recycled the previous games antagonists except to give them a continuity nod, and that's what Bethesda should have done with 3.

All said, I love them all, but there's a lot about Fallout 3 (and 2, fuck off with your inexplicable Yakuza presence, cheap puns and Monty Python references) that I can't defend, but there's not much in NV story/lorewise that I can complain about (except that Caesar's Legion pronounce their Latin correctly. Even Classical Historians have accepted the soft C is how people say it now, so a ragtag tribal confederacy using Ancient Rome as an artificial common identity should be butchering that shit at least as badly as HBO did)

As for the story becoming pointless after you kill Benny, I'll agree ; but only because I already know you can't wander around the Mojave acting like a King after you take it over. First playthrough I was eager as hell to take over the strip and wander around hitting peasants with my dress cane.

I started on Wasteland' date=' then played Fallout 1, 2, 3 and NV and I loved them all. There are a lot of majorly annoying things about the storyline in 3, mostly due to them trying to shovel the BoS, the Supermutants, the Enclave, the Church of Atom and a bunch of other generic Fallout entities into a setting they don't belong in. They should have made up their own factions and enemies ; 1/2/NV never recycled the previous games antagonists except to give them a continuity nod, and that's what Bethesda should have done with 3.

[/quote']

That's the problem with bethesda, they're mass market oriented.

They didn't check up on Fallout related forums which would have been VERY easy as there were twobig english ones at the time, nma-fallout.com and duckandcover.cx (for which I once did an interview of Pete Hines with in which he basically tried to say it wouldn't be oblivion with guns)

As well as other notables, such as The Unwashed Village (I can't remember the url) which was responsible for the Unwashed Villagers attacking a spammer special encounter in FO2, and of course The Vault

So yeah if they'd spent a few weeks just googling Fallout community sites, of which there were many, that had had good and cordial relations with the previous devs, and just lurked, seen what folks wanted to see, they could have made a MUCH better game.

Instead, we get a total conversion mod of Oblivion, ironic considering saying FO3 would be Oblivion with guns was once a bannable phrase on the bethsoft fourms.

Quite a shame too, if they had been smart they could have turned this into a great game.

Guest Loogie

duckandcover.cx (for which I once did an interview of Pete Hines with in which he basically tried to say it wouldn't be oblivion with guns)

As a fellow DaCer, if you're one of the three people I think you are I am shocked to see you here.

duckandcover.cx (for which I once did an interview of Pete Hines with in which he basically tried to say it wouldn't be oblivion with guns)

As a fellow DaCer' date=' if you're one of the three people I think you are I am shocked to see you here.

[/quote']

I had a disagreement with someone at DAC about something stupid, ended up banned, ditto @ NMA due to Roshambo because I dared not agree with him on some small point.