If your game is crashing or loading to infinity come here.

Tutorial for infinite loading and random crashes

Alright, I myself had a lot of problems with modding my game so I wanted to share my experiences with others, unfortunate enough to have similar problems as I did.

Check 0 (Unnoficial patches, "dirty" mods)

Download all unnoficial patches for your version of Skyrim. This will fix MANY issues caused by bugs etc... For Legendary Edition use this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/71214/?

Then theres a lot of "Dirty mods" out there so I suggest you to check this tutorial and follow it trough, cleaning your loadorder and mods contained within:

And after you clean mods, use this amazing LOOT tool to make the best possible load order FOR YOU (Only when you decide to make a NEW GAME, never change load order in your ongoing save, it could mess things up).

Crash Fixes

Download this plugin as it has a LOT of fixes in it that user meh321 put together in a single mod. I recommend checking it out and reading it trough as it can fix most common crashes. In short, download this mod first --> http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75795 then go download this --> http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72725 after you install it go to your Data\SKSE\Plugins\CrashFixPlugin.ini find "UseOSAllocators=0" (should be the first option) and set it to 1. Then go to your SKSE.ini (located in Data\SKSE) and make sure you have this set correctly in it:

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

You can read CrashFixPlugin.ini trough as it explains a LOT of things.

Check 1 (Conflicting mods)

Make sure, and I cannot express this enough, that your mods arent conflicting. Do a research on mod you download, make sure it doesnt do the same thing as your other mods like:

• Replacing the same places (house mods, armor replacements etc...)
  • Replacing same effects (Magic overhauls, weather overhauls, sound mods etc...)

Check 2 (Bad memory block value)

You probably know that Skyrim has a terrible value for its first memory block. So, use this mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50471

Then go to your SKSE.ini located in Skyrim/data/SKSE and replace lines with ones that suit you. My lines look like this (for HD mods):

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

[General]
EnableDiagnostics=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

If youre still infinitely loading or if you freeze during loading download this:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/46465/?

Then go to data/SKSE/Plugins/SafetyLoad.ini and set this line in it:

EnableOnlyLoading = true

This mod will stop the infinite loading screen and config above sets this plugin to work only during loadings as its known to cause bugs when working at all times.

Check 3 (Many high res. mods)

When downloading high resolution mods, try to keep ONLY those you use, if theres too much of them your game will give up. Trust me on this and dont use many 4k mods. If you have body replacements etc... try using 2k textures or lower on other things, mods you yourself dont use, also followers with insane resolutions. It has nothing to do with your PC not being strong enough (I know you wont be downloading high res mods on a crap PC) the reason is that  game engine will just give up on loading many high res mods.

Check 4 (Script heavy mods)

If you use many script heavy mods, sometimes they need a LONG time to load so I recommend having this in your Skyrim.ini file located in X:\Users\xXxpussyslayer420xXx\Documents\My Games\Skyrim.

[Papyrus]
fUpdateBudgetMS=1.2

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=1200 (You can double it, but game will load longer)
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1
iMaxMemoryPageSize=512
iMinMemoryPageSize=128
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1048576

Increasing "fUpdateBudgetMS" should increase stability and decrease performance, if your game already is very stable you can also decrease it to boost performance. What's a useful value depends not only on the mods you have installed and settings and on your hardware. To give a general advice for those isn't really possible. Just too many options and too complex so try some values between 1 and 2 MAX. Enabling logging all the time is not optimal "bEnableLogging".

And if this doesnt help then do some trouble shooting, go to X:\Users\(Your PC name)\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Logs\Script and here check your Papyrus.0 log. This log is the last log, so try to recreate scenario that CRASHES your game and check it. In this file you will see what happened right before your game pooped (the last lines inside your file). So what you can do from this point is figuring out which mod is troubling and try to disable it or you can disable debug logging, or disable mod feature that crashes your game from the ingame MCM.

Sometimes script heavy mods log way too much data in this file, which makes your game crash so disable the damn Debug outputs to log if mod allows it, if not you have to remove the troubling mod.

Check 5 (ENB)

ENB users, read the description of ENB you use, make sure your PC can handle it. Add every line they tell you to to your enblocal.ini located in folder with your game launcher. Replace those lines with values of YOUR graphic card and everything else they specify in ENB description. If problems persist try this config:

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true

Check 6 (Big savefile and uninstalled mods)

Try this some programs for cleaning save files from garbage. Garbage left from uninstalled mods and what nots.... Download this and follow instructions.

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/2885-fallrimtools-script-cleaner-and-more/

I think I covered most of the issues and posted them together, but if I missed something tell me and ill go ahead and add it.

Special thanks to those people, providing more insight on the possible issues: Nazzzgul666, Uncle64, Lodakai

You should not recommend people to use that cleaner. It is old and obsolete.

There are better options. And those are way better.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53045/? Savegame script scalpel - Disassembler - Diagnostic Tool - Papyrus Data Transfer by flexcreator

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/? Save game script cleaner by Hadoram

Or to prefer the tool developed here at LL.

Made this SKSE.ini

This is normal skyrim and normal textures.

[General]

EnableDiagnostics=1

[Display]

[Memory]

defaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

scrapHeapSizeMB=256

Settings for more heavy textures and stuff.

[General]

EnableDiagnostics=1

[Display]

[Memory]

defaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024

scrapHeapSizeMB=256

You should not recommend people to use that cleaner. It is old and obsolete.

There are better options. And those are way better.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53045/? Savegame script scalpel - Disassembler - Diagnostic Tool - Papyrus Data Transfer by flexcreator

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/? Save game script cleaner by Hadoram

Or to prefer the tool developed here at LL.

Thanks dude, ill test those and add, if working, straight away :)

If you use many script heavy mods, sometimes they need a LONG time to load so I recommend having this in your Skyrim.ini file located in X:\Users\xXxpussyslayer420xXx\Documents\My Games\Skyrim.

[Papyrus]

fUpdateBudgetMS=12

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=1200.0

bEnableLogging=1

bEnableTrace=1

bLoadDebugInformation=1

iMaxMemoryPageSize=512

iMinMemoryPageSize=128

I think you've made a mistake there. 

fUpdateBudgetMS=12

Did you possibly mean 1.2? That would be default value. If that's not enough, recommended values are 1.6 or 2.0, not above. 12 is so far out of range, i guess it's just ignored and that's the reason it didn't cause any problems. The point here is that this value guarantees all scripts more time to execute, no matter if they need it. With high values, your performance will be beyond beeing playable.

The other values should work, although i have a bit higher min/max memory (you have default values) and double fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS.

For comparison: default for vanilla Skyrim on PC is 500, on console it's 2000 or 2500, not sure anymore. In opposite to the first point, here you can't do that much wrong... the worst you can get are long loading screens.

Save game cleaners do a good job maybe 85% of the time, in 10% they won't delete all/enough and in 5% they delete too much and kill your save. It's worth a try if things are fucked up and you want to keep/restore the save, but i wouldn't recommend it in general.

They only really clean save is made from a new game, so especially for testing purposes if you want to know if a mod or load order is faulty or if it's your save, always use a new game.

And if you really want a stable game: do not uninstall any mods during playing, and do not change the load order during playing. Never.

[Papyrus]

fUpdateBudgetMS=12

bEnableLogging=1

bEnableTrace=1

bLoadDebugInformation=1

iMaxMemoryPageSize=512

iMinMemoryPageSize=128

fUpdateBudgetMS=12

Did you possibly mean 1.2? That would be default value. If that's not enough, recommended values are 1.6 or 2.0, not above. 12 is so far out of range, i guess it's just ignored and that's the reason it didn't cause any problems. The point here is that this value guarantees all scripts more time to execute, no matter if they need it. With high values, your performance will be beyond beeing playable.

The other values should work, although i have a bit higher min/max memory (you have default values) and double fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS.

For comparison: default for vanilla Skyrim on PC is 500, on console it's 2000 or 2500, not sure anymore. In opposite to the first point, here you can't do that much wrong... the worst you can get are long loading screens.

Save game cleaners do a good job maybe 85% of the time, in 10% they won't delete all/enough and in 5% they delete too much and kill your save. It's worth a try if things are fucked up and you want to keep/restore the save, but i wouldn't recommend it in general.

They only really clean save is made from a new game, so especially for testing purposes if you want to know if a mod or load order is faulty or if it's your save, always use a new game.

And if you really want a stable game: do not uninstall any mods during playing, and do not change the load order during playing. Never.

Oh, my mistake, somehow 1.2 copied without dot. Anyways, Yes clean save will fix most problems but lets be frank, who wants to do quests and all other things all over again? Also when you uinstall mod it wont uinstall from save correctly, thus clean saver will clean your save from uinstalled mods. Save cleaner I posted here works, and you can choose what you want it to delete. Tested it out and it worked like a charm :) Thanks for reading this trough, value should be fixed now 1.2 and NOT 12.

Thank you, very helpful info! Although you did give me quite a scare

[Display]

[General]
EnableDiagnostics=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

was crashing my game but after putting the defaultheap size down a bit it stopped. Phewww. Hehe. But thank you so much, its nice to see this kind of stuff to help others.

[Papyrus]

fUpdateBudgetMS=12

bEnableLogging=1

bEnableTrace=1

bLoadDebugInformation=1

iMaxMemoryPageSize=512

iMinMemoryPageSize=128

fUpdateBudgetMS=12

Oh, my mistake, somehow 1.2 copied without dot. Anyways, Yes clean save will fix most problems but lets be frank, who wants to do quests and all other things all over again? Also when you uinstall mod it wont uinstall from save correctly, thus clean saver will clean your save from uinstalled mods. Save cleaner I posted here works, and you can choose what you want it to delete. Tested it out and it worked like a charm :) Thanks for reading this trough, value should be fixed now 1.2 and NOT 12.

For the papyrus settings: setting default values is useless, that's what it uses anyways. ;) Changing this value should be done carefully, though. Increasing it should increase stability and decrease performance, if your game already is very stable you can also decrease it to boost performance. What's a useful value depends not only on the mods you have installed and settings but also a lot on your hardware, to give a general advice for those isn't really possible. Just too many options and too complex.

Enabling logging all the time is not optimal. I usually do it because it didn't make much difference for me, but most turn it off if they don't actually want a log. Logging costs performance.

I use 2 different save cleaners myself, and usually they work, but as mentioned... there is no guarantee. If you just want to test stuff, starting a new game and go back to your old save when tested shouldn't be a problem, at least with MO it's easy, just make a new profile. And many here like me don't play the vanilla story anyways, only mods which sometimes require a new game. 

If you want a really long game... don't install any script mods you aren't sure you really want them in your game. We have some members here and elsewhere who actually had a look at the way Skyrim works, they did some scientific research. That something works for you is good for you, but it doesn't mean it works in other cases (other systems, mods,...) That save game cleaners don't always work properly also depends on the mod you're deleting, so even if you do it 10k times and it works every time, it can easily fail for a mod you didn't try.

Don't get me wrong, i appretiate your effort and willingness to help others, but many things in your guide depend too much on stuff which is different for pretty much everybody to give a general advice. 

Things i recommend in general:

-install SKSE memory patch, but i would leave the DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB for the default 768. If more is better depends on hardware, you can't assume that everybody has enough memory to use more.

-Install ENBoost. Settings again depend too much on hardware/OS/other tools and settings to give a general advice.

To give more specific hints, you should know more about the stuff you recommend and the problem somebody tries to solve, his mods, settings and maybe hardware. If you don't know what to do if your help makes it worse, don't be that specific. That's a point i don't always follow that strictly myself, but i try. ;)

For the papyrus settings: setting default values is useless, that's what it uses anyways. ;) Changing this value should be done carefully, though. Increasing it should increase stability and decrease performance, if your game already is very stable you can also decrease it to boost performance. What's a useful value depends not only on the mods you have installed and settings but also a lot on your hardware, to give a general advice for those isn't really possible. Just too many options and too complex.

Enabling logging all the time is not optimal. I usually do it because it didn't make much difference for me, but most turn it off if they don't actually want a log. Logging costs performance.

I use 2 different save cleaners myself, and usually they work, but as mentioned... there is no guarantee. If you just want to test stuff, starting a new game and go back to your old save when tested shouldn't be a problem, at least with MO it's easy, just make a new profile. And many here like me don't play the vanilla story anyways, only mods which sometimes require a new game. 

If you want a really long game... don't install any script mods you aren't sure you really want them in your game. We have some members here and elsewhere who actually had a look at the way Skyrim works, they did some scientific research. That something works for you is good for you, but it doesn't mean it works in other cases (other systems, mods,...) That save game cleaners don't always work properly also depends on the mod you're deleting, so even if you do it 10k times and it works every time, it can easily fail for a mod you didn't try.

Don't get me wrong, i appretiate your effort and willingness to help others, but many things in your guide depend too much on stuff which is different for pretty much everybody to give a general advice. 

Things i recommend in general:

-install SKSE memory patch, but i would leave the DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB for the default 768. If more is better depends on hardware, you can't assume that everybody has enough memory to use more.

-Install ENBoost. Settings again depend too much on hardware/OS/other tools and settings to give a general advice.

To give more specific hints, you should know more about the stuff you recommend and the problem somebody tries to solve, his mods, settings and maybe hardware. If you don't know what to do if your help makes it worse, don't be that specific. That's a point i don't always follow that strictly myself, but i try. ;)

Yes, I know that different mods behave differently also system specs, hardware etc.... I only listed stuff to look out for. There are many things that can go wrong, so having a guide that contains possible reasons for crashes with fixes for said problem is nice and will help you with troubleshooting.

Also people should know their machine and set the settings accordingly (MAX memory, graphic memory etc....) If you MOD your game you should have some basic knowledge and experiences as I guess you have fixed some problems in the past... This post is mostly to save time you spend googling for possible issues and then looking for several possible fixes. Thanks for replying and explaining the Papyrus values, ill add what you posted above with the Papyrus guide :)

Crash Fixes when used properly makes SKSE memory fix and SafetyLoad and SSME redundant. Fallrim Tools is actually newer than than those other two.

ENBoost is still suggested to use.

Not all mods should be cleaned. The DLC should be cleaned. Read up on mods that show dirty edits or whatever before you clean them. Dirty edits may be there intentionally. Don't be afraid to post and ask about them in their mods thread.

Crash Fixes when used properly makes SKSE memory fix and SafetyLoad and SSME redundant. Fallrim Tools is actually newer than than those other two.

ENBoost is still suggested to use.

Not all mods should be cleaned. The DLC should be cleaned. Read up on mods that show dirty edits or whatever before you clean them. Dirty edits may be there intentionally. Don't be afraid to post and ask about them in their mods thread.

Safety Load and SSME were already outdated before crash fixes, but how does Crash fixes make SKSE memory fix redundant? One point i like about it that it gives me a warning if the fix isn't actually working, and it needs some changes when using it with MO. But afaik still necessary.

Safety Load and SSME were already outdated before crash fixes, but how does Crash fixes make SKSE memory fix redundant? One point i like about it that it gives me a warning if the fix isn't actually working, and it needs some changes when using it with MO. But afaik still necessary.

It's only redundant if UseOSAllocators is enabled.

This from CrashFixes page:

Data/SKSE/SKSE.ini (not needed if UseOSAllocators=1 in CrashFixPlugin.ini):

• Set DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB:Memory to 768. If you are using a lot of mods or higher uGrid than 5 then set 1024. Helps with CTD during save load, especially if you can load the save after qasmoke. Max value is 1280. If you are using ENB you may get CTD on startup with higher value than 768 and ExpandSystemMemoryX64 true in enblocal.ini!
  • Set ScrapHeapSizeMB:Memory to 256. Game can't use more than 256 of this and setting higher serves no purpose.

This from afkmods:

https://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/4461-skyrim-plugin-preloader-crash-fixes-by-meh321-and-sheson/

For me personally, using UseOSAllocators enabled, has given me much more stability than anything else. No infinite loading screens, crashes are rare and usually the fault of one of the mods I am using.

• Set DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB:Memory to 768. If you are using a lot of mods or higher uGrid than 5 then set 1024. Helps with CTD during save load, especially if you can load the save after qasmoke. Max value is 1280. If you are using ENB you may get CTD on startup with higher value than 768 and ExpandSystemMemoryX64 true in enblocal.ini!
  • Set ScrapHeapSizeMB:Memory to 256. Game can't use more than 256 of this and setting higher serves no purpose.

Already in the post above, also mentioned plenty of times when you click on patches that redirect you to Nexusmods. Everything is mentioned here and there on Nexus mod descriptions... read it maybe?

This post is on topic and pertinent.

bump

Happy cinco de mayo!  Oh.. its after midnight.  MORE TEQUILA!

Oh and make sure your load order is correct by running LOOT.  And that you have all dependencies for your mods.

My game is crashing when I try to save. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I posted in the technical support section here: https://www.loverslab.com/topic/77548-skyrim-ctd-when-saving-my-game/

Here's the problem I'm having:

1. Load a saved game, lets call this save1
  2. Play for a while, create a new save (save2)
  3. Play some more, create new save (save3)
  4. ...and so on
  5. After about 1 hour, CTD when trying to save my game

Here's the weird part: after I CTD, if I go back and reload save1, and then try to save my game like I did before, the game will crash on save. This happens when I haven't made any changes to my game or settings, no new mods or anything. This makes no sense! The saved game that worked perfectly fine before is now suddenly giving me a CTD when I try to save.

Also, the same thing happens if I load save2, save3, and so on. The game loads perfectly fine and I can play, but as soon as I save (or the game autosaves), I get CTD.

I've had to delete/abandon two sets of saved games because of this. It seems my Skyrim install is hopelessly doomed. The game will run fine when starting a new game, but eventually (after playing for a few days) I will encounter the CTD on save issue and all hope is lost.

I've tried RSaver and followed the steps in this thread, no success so far. I've also googled the problem and it seems that a few people have come across the exact same symptoms. The only solution people have so far is to delete Skyrim and go play outside sad.png

My self is staying away from crashfixes.

Same. Crash fixes never really stopped crashes for me. Just being careful with my choice in mods have. The only fix that has really fixed anything big for me is the "Never crash when loading" fix. Life saver.

@AWHA

I also had a crash when saving issue the other day, not sure what was doing it, as i had a backup of skyrim, so i just got fed up with trying to find what was doing it and used my backup version. But I did download a few new mods off the nexus so any recent one might be doing it.

Same. Crash fixes never really stopped crashes for me. Just being careful with my choice in mods have. The only fix that has really fixed anything big for me is the "Never crash when loading" fix. Life saver.

@AWHA

I also had a crash when saving issue the other day, not sure what was doing it, as i had a backup of skyrim, so i just got fed up with trying to find what was doing it and used my backup version. But I did download a few new mods off the nexus so any recent one might be doing it.

When the game starts to crash when loading, that it self is often one good reason that your load or modlist are not compatible or you have issues in it.

My game is crashing when I try to save. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I posted in the technical support section here: https://www.loverslab.com/topic/77548-skyrim-ctd-when-saving-my-game/

4. ...and so on

Here's the weird part: after I CTD, if I go back and reload save1, and then try to save my game like I did before, the game will crash on save. This happens when I haven't made any changes to my game or settings, no new mods or anything. This makes no sense! The saved game that worked perfectly fine before is now suddenly giving me a CTD when I try to save.

Also, the same thing happens if I load save2, save3, and so on. The game loads perfectly fine and I can play, but as soon as I save (or the game autosaves), I get CTD.

I've had to delete/abandon two sets of saved games because of this. It seems my Skyrim install is hopelessly doomed. The game will run fine when starting a new game, but eventually (after playing for a few days) I will encounter the CTD on save issue and all hope is lost.

I've tried RSaver and followed the steps in this thread, no success so far. I've also googled the problem and it seems that a few people have come across the exact same symptoms. The only solution people have so far is to delete Skyrim and go play outside sad.png

Wow, never had a problem like that. Try saving inside taverns etc... not outside in the open where theres a LOT of stuff that needs to save.

@AWHA

When the game starts to crash when loading, that it self is often one good reason that your load or modlist are not compatible or you have issues in it.

Not exactly. Its a very common issue, usually happening when you have a lot of mods. Its random but a well known issue, and is easily fixable with a simple download on the nexus.

One thing that needs to stress out. If you have issues.

Save, load the save again. Wait little, dont ever never play on, Save again. Turn off Skyrim.

Perhaps reboot your PC, make some coffie, get one cold beer. Perhaps some snacks.

Fire up your Skyrim again and load your last save, wait little again. Save, and load that save. Delete the redundant saves you have done.

Play on.

Skyrim must be given time to fix it self, and it can do that to some point.

4. ...and so on

I also get this but it seems to only happen after my character is released from jail.

Crash fixes is actually a really useful tool.   But as any modding, you have to understand its purpose and how to use it.   

You need to understand what it does and what it is for.

Recently some people have discovered a string count limitation to bethesda games that has been causing many issues that have had people pulling their hair out for years.

The way strings are allocated by oldrim are apparently not ideal and lead to a maximum that you can use.   

This article goes over it in better detail if you want to educate yourself on the issue.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3924850-corrupt-saves-strcount-0xffff-ctd-on-load/

So yes...  it's not a fix all.  But to say you should stay away from it is a disservice to anybody who wants to mod heavily.

If you are serious about modding.. and you want a stable game... do yourself a favor.   

Read the article I linked.

Go to crash fixes and read up on how to set it up.   

ETA: Ask some of the very qualified and well educated coders right here on LL.  They can verify most of this.

And then determine if you think it is right for your game.

Crash fixes is actually a really useful tool.   But as any modding, you have to understand its purpose and how to use it.   

You need to understand what it does and what it is for.

Recently some people have discovered a string count limitation to bethesda games that has been causing many issues that have had people pulling their hair out for years.

The way strings are allocated by oldrim are apparently not ideal and lead to a maximum that you can use.   

This article goes over it in better detail if you want to educate yourself on the issue.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3924850-corrupt-saves-strcount-0xffff-ctd-on-load/

So yes...  it's not a fix all.  But to say you should stay away from it is a disservice to anybody who wants to mod heavily.

If you are serious about modding.. and you want a stable game... do yourself a favor.   

Read the article I linked.

Go to crash fixes and read up on how to set it up.   

ETA: Ask some of the very qualified and well educated coders right here on LL.  They can verify most of this.

And then determine if you think it is right for your game.

Understandable. I would never say stay away from it though (and i didnt). As for most im sure it helps a lot. But for me personally, I never really needed it as ive made my game very stable, the only issue being loading a save as soon as i start up skyrim causes a crash (which i guess might mean its not as stable as i think it is) but also that has a fix and it works amazing. So for me and my game at the moment I dont really need it. You never know, i probably will at some point.

Archived