Replacing Vanilla Hair

Smidolon

With all the hair-mods out there I thought instead of just adding why not replace the old vanilla ones.

What would be the best way to do this? - Changing the hair mesh and texture via the construction set or just putting the new properly named hair mesh in its respective folder?

Also: when looking for example at Kijiko-Hair-Pack, there's a .nif and an .egm file, but I can't find any .tri files - What effect will that have on using them for replacing the vanilla hair? Are those files necessary?

What would be the best way to do this? - Changing the hair mesh and texture via the construction set or just putting the new properly named hair mesh in its respective folder?

Also: when looking for example at Kijiko-Hair-Pack, there's a .nif and an .egm file, but I can't find any .tri files - What effect will that have on using them for replacing the vanilla hair? Are those files necessary?

I think both ways should work, but using CS can prevent some mistakes (i.e. linking wrong textures).

Tri files are not necessary for hairmeshes (I've tried generating some tri files and using the hair mesh with and without them), however if a mesh has both files, just copy all of them.

Thanks for the hint - that's a great feature with so many hairstyles usable by both genders but looking appropriate for only one.

Would these files also go in Meshes_or_Textures/Characters/HeadAssetOverridesPerRace/M_or_F ?

So say I assigned via the CS a new hair-mesh "X" to an existing hairstyle, that can be applied to both genders. Would I then put an hair-mesh "Y" and its texture in the aforementioned folders and rename it to "X-M" (or "X-F" respectively)?

Would Blockhead assign the texture for me or do I need to reset the path in NifSkope?

My Oblivion install is borked at the moment but if I remember correctly for vanilla hair replacers, the easiest way is to directly replace the files in meshes/hair and textures/hair.

meshes/hair/tall knot_m.nif

meshes/hair/tall knot_f.nif

textures/hair/tall knot_m.dds

textures/hair/tall knot_f.dds

etc

And change the texture path in the nif file with nifskope... i think...

I think both ways should work, but using CS can prevent some mistakes (i.e. linking wrong textures).

Tri files are not necessary for hairmeshes (I've tried generating some tri files and using the hair mesh with and without them), however if a mesh has both files, just copy all of them.

If i am not mistaken, .tri files are for the "length" slider 

• 4 months later...

My Oblivion install is borked at the moment but if I remember correctly for vanilla hair replacers, the easiest way is to directly replace the files in meshes/hair and textures/hair.

meshes/hair/tall knot_m.nif

meshes/hair/tall knot_f.nif

textures/hair/tall knot_m.dds

textures/hair/tall knot_f.dds

etc

And change the texture path in the nif file with nifskope... i think...

Just in case someone is still interested and because I have changed the hair of all npc in my Oblivion. You need to define the texture path in CS, you won't be able to just change the path in nifskope, it ignores it as far I can tell. Vanilla also only uses 2 textures for all it's hair.

Archived