SSE Criticism Thread Reloaded

• 2 weeks later...

Just a normal day in the Skyrim Special edition modding scene:

ENB breaks texture alpha. How did the developer not notice before release? Did he just press the compile button and uploaded?

Well, no problem: Let's just rollback to the previous version, that worked? Jokes' on you, the player: The only "legacy" version offered, is one from the stoneage, before weather-support even existed.

"Calm down everyone, here's a hotfix! Just redownload the file", says the developer.

Player: "Thanks! Umm, could it be i can no longer save my settings? And "Apply" just discards my changes, and reloads from the ini? Did you even test this, or did you just click compile and uploaded?"

Elsewhere on nexus: "CAO Beta now has batch-downscaling for those annoying 4K Textures! It even regenerates mipmaps, and does all the usual sanity checks! Just point the gun and shoot!"

User: "Awesome! Umm...... erm..... could it be changing directory doesn't work? No matter what folder i select, it keeps operating on the old one. Umm, and restarting CAO doesn't fix it either. So.... i need to reinstall whenever i want to change directory? Did you actually test this, or just clicked compile and uploaded?"

All in a single day! The SSE-modscene is awesome!

On 9/11/2019 at 1:48 PM, lynak said:

ENB breaks texture alpha. How did the developer not notice before release? Did he just press the compile button and uploaded?

As if ENB release never broke features on LE...

And as if there is a full archive of ENB releases for LE either. That's why I always kept downloaded versions of ENB runtime at the time I cared about them. You blame SSE for sloppy job of modders and your own mistakes now.

SSE breaks 255 esps limits, so I can have more mods installed. With SSE memory management improvements I can safely set uGridsToLoad=7 and have NPCs and those smokes from campfires seen from a mile away (along with full models of trees and such). My Requiem-based heavily modded game runs smoothly, I forgot what CTDs are, I forgot about constant hiccups every time you cross a cells border, but no, of course this is nothing because elsewhere on Nexus someone said this and that, and you pressed a button.

The only valid complaint about SSE at this point is CC updates breaking SKSE64, but that's it. And this is the problem which is not created by Bethesda, but by SKSE developers who have have decided that SKSE doesn't need version-independent ABI, but instead people should compile SKSE code right into their projects - and break SKSE's own license in the process, BTW, since Papyrus handling and many other stuff real-life SKSE plugins use isn't governed by the open-source license, which covers only the common/ folder code.

And again, the problem with some SKSE plugins not being updated or some of them will probably never updated is not created by Bethesda, but by the community principles that actively discourage people from improving on someone else's work. A policy shift towards encouraging open-source licensing would solve that. The problem simply wouldn't exist. If anything, TES modding community is a nice study in "what can go wrong when you try building a software community without an open-source policy".

But even that will hopefully go away when Bethesda releases TES6 and leaves Skyrim SE alone, as they did with LE. Hopefully. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 7:30 AM, Funzel22 said:

I have here A FEW conversations but I can't release them: I have to ask the authors first, but then:

1.) Mod authors don't answer anymore. They don't come online anymore ... They don't care anymore ....

2.) Mod authors want to "update & convert" their mods themselfs (and never do :(  ).

I made (here at LoversLap) a thread to share all my SE conversions, but then I realize that I can't do this without (really) ask all the authors. So I asked the moderation here to delete my thread. The LoversLab-moderation was very kind, thanks again. ?

It's not sutch a problem to convert the mods, it's a HUGE drama to get the permission from the (old) mod authors! ?

i get we have community rules for a reason but if a mod author doesnt respond to an update request in a month or more its probably safe to assume either something happened to them or they don't care anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 7:48 AM, lynak said:

Well, no problem: Let's just rollback to the previous version, that worked? Jokes' on you, the player: The only "legacy" version offered, is one from the stoneage, before weather-support even existed.

"Calm down everyone, here's a hotfix! Just redownload the file", says the developer.

Player: "Thanks! Umm, could it be i can no longer save my settings? And "Apply" just discards my changes, and reloads from the ini? Did you even test this, or did you just click compile and uploaded?"

Elsewhere on nexus: "CAO Beta now has batch-downscaling for those annoying 4K Textures! It even regenerates mipmaps, and does all the usual sanity checks! Just point the gun and shoot!"

User: "Awesome! Umm...... erm..... could it be changing directory doesn't work? No matter what folder i select, it keeps operating on the old one. Umm, and restarting CAO doesn't fix it either. So.... i need to reinstall whenever i want to change directory? Did you actually test this, or just clicked compile and uploaded?"

All in a single day! The SSE-modscene is awesome!

Lucky for me that I dont use any ENB. Too much opaqueness for my taste.

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, johnny2by4 said:

need to rebuild my skyrim now that i've got a CPU that isn't almost a decade old, figure i should dip into SSE since i dont feel like fixing the broken mess that is a heavily modded oldrim.  can anyone tell me what i'm going to be missing out on?  is HDT still completely broken?

HDT works better in SSE than it ever did in 'Oldrim' though some HDT outfits and hair can not be easily ported over so you might miss out on a few outfits here and there.

Skyrim Romance hasn't been ported for whatever that is worth. Also there is no genuine parallax effects for SSE. That is about it, really.

Most everything else that hasn't been given an official port already or replaced by something better (with CBP-C, the body collision related mods from LE have become obsolete)can be quickly ported for oneself by using the Cathedral Assets Optimizer and Creation Kit 64.

27 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

HDT works better in SSE than it ever did in 'Oldrim' though some HDT outfits and hair can not be easily ported over so you might miss out on a few outfits here and there.

Skyrim Romance hasn't been ported for whatever that is worth. Also there is no genuine parallax effects for SSE. That is about it, really.

Most everything else that hasn't been given an official port already or replaced by something better (with CBP-C, the body collision related mods from LE have become obsolete)can be quickly ported for oneself by using the Cathedral Assets Optimizer and Creation Kit 64.

as long as i can get some HDT skirts (and maybe tails...) i'm good then.  is CBP a form of body physics?  or is it like the animated breast thing from oldrim?

never tried skyrim romance, and i dont really care about parallax.  glad to hear everything else is mostly ported.

11 minutes ago, johnny2by4 said:

as long as i can get some HDT skirts (and maybe tails...) i'm good then.  is CBP a form of body physics?  or is it like the animated breast thing from oldrim?

never tried skyrim romance, and i dont really care about parallax.  glad to hear everything else is mostly ported.

CBP-C handles body physics in general, be it jiggles or breast displacement when they come into contact with other body parts.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/21224

My Skyrim with 90 mods crashes in 10-30 mins (fresh game).

SSE with 205 mods + ENB does not crash or freeze in 14 hours even once.

That pretty much sums it up why I prefer SSE. I don't know what kind of necromancy Skyrim players are practicing IRL if their game work perfectly.

The only thing I (and many others I see) dislike on SE is Creation Club breaking SKSE64. However even that can be avoided by not updating the game. If it updates by mistake (you try to start the game normally through SKSE launcher while Steam isn't open), its easily reverted by replacing the game executable with the old one. My game version is 1.5.62.0.8 with SKSE64 2.0.12 and I have zero problems.

There are still some mods I would like to see on SSE (physics enabled hair) but I can't blame the game for that. No one should blame the game if mod x is missing. After all mod authors too may have a life outside their game.

I've been hearing about how stable Skyrim SE is compared to good ole Oldrim and, at least for me, I'm not getting it.

I'm using Oldrim with over 230 mod plugins and it very rarely has a CTD.

I'm talking no CTD's after playing 3 hours non-stop kind of thing.

I've even started to merge plugins so that I can add more later on.

Either I've been EXTREMELY lucky or you all are full of it.

And its so much nicer not having to worry about waiting for mod authors to update their mods because of another useless Bethesda update!!

1 minute ago, buttluver said:

Either I've been EXTREMELY lucky or you all are full of it.

The inverse could just as easily be assumed, something which isn't really all that uncommon.

An updated version of an tool/vehicle/program/etc. is available and many users are finding it superior to the previous version while hold-outs simply can not let go of their attachment to the previous version.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21.12.2018 at 00:24, CPU said:

Не пиратская игра. Это плохо.

SSE имеет хорошие возможности моддинга. Около 75% Олдрим.

Это просто техника, которая пытается правильно настроить вашу игру. И вы можете найти большую помощь здесь, чтобы изменить вашу игру.

пиратство разрешено?

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but Im having the opposite experience for the most part than people here. Sure, before SKSE64 release, SSE ran stable (well no shit, what has Beth actually done to make it stable then?) But this deep into the game's lifespan, it seems abandoned, most "mods" are just ports by apparent non mod authors that you still end up having to go in and fix yourself, it's a porting adventure and certainly not as plug and play and sure as fuck not as stable as LE.

I know LE can crash with a good mod load, but a bit of tinkering here and there then change some settings and you even get not only working but actual decent performance. Not so in SE, where things are bound to be simply poorly ported or could easily just be broken or incompatible and there is no way you will ever know. SE looks good on the surface, but for me it cant seem to even run 20 mods without constant CTD or some other problem, laughable if compared to a well oiled LE build. It could be me like I said, but from where I stand right now, I am ready to just reinstall LE because at least I know what and to what degree will work, so SE I seemingly cant get ANYTHING to work.

If you asked me now to theorize, I would say the people having no issues with SE are WAY WAY more versed and experienced in CK and mod troubleshooting than they realize and what is simple and obvious to them is not to a intermediate or lower level user. The difference being that in LE this was never really required, you could still get it to run for better or for worse with very little knowledge, which is how you got engaged with fixing and modding it in the first place. This is just not the case with SE in my personal experience and honestly I do believe everything would be fine if Skyrim wasnt so fucking old, SE didnt come out so late and anybody still gave a shit about it enough to get it to LE's level of polish.

It's been some time and all the criticisms and pessimism proved true in the end. It split/killed the broader community and any enthusiasm they had left for the game, SE wasnt enough to bring anybody competent back to the game, since Beth didnt actually do shit in SE but the bare minimum and 2+ years too late.

People who are not ready to learn should stay away from mods, randomly installing without understanding helps people write that something is unstable and bad. all the answers are there just need to search and read a little.

It is devastating that almost no one reads descriptions, wastes time asking questions and does not read requirement, install guides ...

then we have this kind of writing reviews from people who want everything effortlessly

• 2 weeks later...
20.02.2020 в 09:18 Кокан сказал:

Случайная установка без понимания помогает людям писать, что-то нестабильно и плохо. все ответы есть, просто нужно поискать и почитать немного.

Все вопросы не читаются, а вопросы не читаются, доступны в доступе ...

Отзывы о людях.

уточни, учится чему, делать моды или ставить?

53 minutes ago, Николай Зладынэвич said:

уточни, учится чему, делать моды или ставить?

He doesn't have to learn to make them, but at least he can do his best to install them properly.

A lot of people are engaged in making mod, from different motives, someone has knowledge, 

some skill to improve the existing ones, someone is there to make money.

It takes time to learn some rules, tricks and combinations for the mods to work properly.

people think that with two clicks they finish all the work, it just doesn't work in Skyrim.

When they fail then they start criticizing that something is wrong and not working, LE is better etc.