Moving Skyrim to SSD

Nichoice

So I am looking to move my Skyrim to an SSD, it is the last step in my efforts to reduce load times and stutters after upgrading my GPU.

Question is, most threads I have read were regarding moving Skyrim to an SSD that had the OS on it. 

Problem is, I already have an SSD with Win7 on it. Its just not big enough to fit Skyrim. 

Is the reduced load times worth it by installing a new SSD and moving Skyrim onto it, without moving the OS as well? Both would be on separate SSDs. 

You can install it on a second SSD without any problem.

My config is exactly like that (main SSD with the OS and a few programs, secondary SSD with games (all Steam installation))

If you want an extra boost, then unzip all bsa files (at least textures and meshes.) this also speeds up a lot with a SSD.

My config is exactly like that (main SSD with the OS and a few programs, secondary SSD with games (all Steam installation))

If you want an extra boost, then unzip all bsa files (at least textures and meshes.) this also speeds up a lot with a SSD.

huh i didn't know that so do you delete the old BSA file after you extract everything?

Unzip the BSA! My Skyrim folder is at 170GB already! :(

do you have ever mod on the nexus installed damn D:

huh i didn't know that so do you delete the old BSA file after you extract everything?

No, because every time I need to reinstall I need to re-download.

Skyrim is easy. If a lose file exists it has priority.

FO4 is way worst in this regard.

170 Gigs of Textures?

So stutters can be reduced not just by SSD, which I have, but also a decent video card which I kinda have...Not the best, but its certainly good one.

Then the next realization is that.....Pushing much past 2K textures is still going to induce stutter.

So I use 2K with 1K mixed, Stutter still happens but its rare now. (using Dyndolod as well, that's important to mention)

Of course I also stopped using Weather mods too, cause I realized if I cant see the textures why have them that high anyway...Also got real picky about the ENB preset as well for the same darn reason.

My experience has been weather mod, lighting mod, plus ENB = why the heck bother with decent textures.

I wonder at, once you get your gear and gameall situated if you will end up running into the same sort of thing.

How much larger is Skyrim with the BSAs unpacked?

Just the meshes.bsa and textures.base, unpacked, are 8.64Gb. (from an original 1.64Gb + 1.34Gb)

Usually only this one and textures worth be unpacked. So not huge disk consumed, but really sensible performance increase (at least when loading.)

Its not just textures, but meshes from old mods, my own WIP, armors, conversions, music files, SL files, the addons, they all add up. I am using a 980ti and predominately 2k-1k textures. 

I CBF cleaning it, and I am hesitant to delete all old versions of mods, i have over 1000 mods in MO at the moment while I am just a little over 200 esps? I could do some more merging to lower that to under 200 but I thoroughly play test all mods before I embed them in my permanent load order. 

Some mods you just can't cause of continuous updates and such and I tend to go a little crazy with backups and so I have a alot of double ups of files. 

But its well worth it when shit hits the fan. 

I must confess, the next upgrade if not an SSD would be a better monitor. 

I play on a 1080 TV, I may consider upgrading that next but that is not something that I deem urgent or necessary in terms of performance and gameplay. 

The game with my chosen ENB and variety of textures look beautiful as it is, and I doubt upgrading to a higher resolution will make a difference as I will have to retweak my settings to re-balance gameplay and eye candy. 

So I am looking to move my Skyrim to an SSD, it is the last step in my efforts to reduce load times and stutters after upgrading my GPU.

Question is, most threads I have read were regarding moving Skyrim to an SSD that had the OS on it. 

Problem is, I already have an SSD with Win7 on it. Its just not big enough to fit Skyrim. 

Is the reduced load times worth it by installing a new SSD and moving Skyrim onto it, without moving the OS as well? Both would be on separate SSDs.

You can probably just move your Skyrim directory to the SSD with little to know issues. I just downgraded to Windows 10 did something like this with no problems:

1. Backup data

2. Clean install of OS

3. Install Steam and Skyrim

4. Restore Skyrim directory

Far as I understand it, because I only want to have Skyrim in the SSD seeing as its already at 170GB and what with Remastered coming out. 

1. I will need to add a new steam library directing it to my H:\Drive or whatever I want to call the new SSD;

2. Backup entire Skyrim folder in Steam/SteamApps/Common/Skyrim 

3. Uninstall Skyrim on Steam;

4. Reinstall Skyrim on Steam and direct the install to H:\Drive;

5. Replace folder with backup from 2. 

In hindsight, I should've made a backup via Steam of vanilla Skyrim so it wouldn't need to download again. I might have a copy of the files lying around, verify files then do step 5. 

I do not need to clean install the OS nor install Steam, as what you are referring to is replacing your HDD with a SSD not installation another SSD.

Archived