CTD on save

Hey,

i have a very weird issue with my skyrim. After i get to Whiterun and get the bleakfalls barrow quest and i restart my game it starts crashing on save. If i don't restart the game after gettign the quest i can play as much as i want and save without any issues. Once i close the game i'm gettign those nasty CTDs on save. I've found a workaround but ... it;s annoying the hell out of me. I have a save in the cell right after i'm done with the mod configurations in MCM and before i choose a way out from the statue of Mara(? was it Mara?). I'm using this save a s a clean save, if animations fail to load and i get the error message, or a save is crashing on load. I've created a second save, right before i enter Dragonsreach and i;ve named this clean2. If i load clean and clean2 saves it;s all peachy, i can play, i can save, the game is stable as fuck. I can play all day long rape, being raped, kill shit ... until i close the game ... If i load just the first clean save and then the latest save, without loading clean2, i get ctd on save. The same goes if i manage to load a save without clean and clean2 prior to that.

I'll attach my load order for anyone interested.

Thanks in advance to whomever tries and figures this out :)

loadorder.txt

Papyrus.0.log

I had the same problem more than once in my play-throughs. From my research i conclude it to be a bug in skyrim itself, rather than being mod-related, since it happens even in unmodded games. 

One thread I read recommended this plugin: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635/?

It's originally for FO: New Vegas, but it works for Skyrim as well - at least it solved my issues just fine. You should give it a try.

I don't care for looking through your mods right now, it's very early for me. :P

Can you explain a bit more on what happens, you get the Bleak Falls quest from Balgruuf and then you will CTD after loading your save, or you are CTDing inside Bleak Falls Barrow? If the former I would say this is a problem with Alternate Start, that is the exact point where Alternate Start lets go of you and ends everything, apparently it's not doing so for you. I see in the load order that Alternate Start is where it should be, and it is not being overwritten any in MO either. Have you done anything with this, including but most importantly restrung it using the Restringer (which breaks it, badly)? Have you edited the file in any way at all, or swapped it's files out with something claiming to work better? Are you using the absolute latest version of Alternate Start?

Can you please do a relatively brief test and redownload Alternate Start, start a new game, patron of an inn - sleeping giant inn, open console type "tgm" then "player.setav speedmult 300" then run up to helgen pick up the journal, run back down to Riverwood, talk to first person you see and tell about the dragon, run up to dragonsreach, talk to Balgruuf, save, quit, reload the save you just did, and see if you crash then?

Hey Sacremas,

Before i get the Bleekfalls quest from the jarl in Whiterun i have no issues at all, i can restart MO, load the latest save and i can save my game. When i get the quest, if i restart the MO if i directly manage to load the last save, without it CTD or give me the FootIK (was that the animation crash) if i try to save -  the game crashes. In order to avoid the error in FootIk i'm loading my first clean save and that is a save in the starting cell, before i choose my path from the statue. After that i'm loading my second "clean" save and that is right in front of Dragonsreach. After loading the two clean saves i can load my latest save and start playing. This way can save my progress. My game is pretty stable and crashes really once in several days. I can spend the whole day raping and being raped without any issues.
As it goes with Alternative start i've noticed i;m not using the last version. I'm running with 3.1.3 and i can see there is a newer version. I'll download it and i'll follow the steps you;ve described :)

See ya in 10 minutes i guess :))

P.S. I'm not using re-stringer or anything like that, Captured Dreams developer mentioned that using this will make it really hard for him to help anyone debug issues with his mod and i really, really, really, REALLY like his mod, so i;m running a "vanilla" devious build :)))

It's still crashes even after i've updated Alternative start. I've did all the things you've described. And the old workaround still works. If i load the save from the cell and then the save infront of Dragons reach it's all peachy :)

That is really weird. I have not run into something that specific. I have a save file placed in the Alternate Start cell, a new character I just started a new game for, hit Name and named him "Janitor 1", (1 in case I decide to chagne my load order enough that I could have issues loading the first Janitor, then I make a new Janitor called Janitor 2, and so on, and delete the old ones) then went out, waited for the auto save as the MCM updates, and then I load the Janitor character if I have issues loading my primary save, and it works 100 %, I have never had to load a save specifically right before ending LAL quest.

The last thing that left for me to do is to try and start removing mods one by one and see when it's gonna stop crashing. The last mod i've updated with cursed loot and captured dreams was ddi from 3.0 beta to 3.1 so i'll see if reversing to an older version of ddi will remove the crash. And then if i manage to do it i'll have to figure out what;s the mod messing up with my game :)  I've had Maria Eden in my load prior to Captured Dreams v4 release and i've removed. I wonder if this mod could of done something to my game? I'll install it back and see if that's going to remove the crash. 

Did you remove any mods mid game? Skyrim due to it's papyrus scripting system and save system is different from past Bethesda games like Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas, if you put a mod in your game and play with it, it's going to stay in your save, even cleaning your save of specific scripts is not going to work, even if you clean out every bit of loose scripts other mods, seemingly totally unrelated will still be failing due to that mod's empty space now in your save file. If you remove a mod, you have to revert to before you even installed it (which often means starting a new game) if you want it actually gone, and removing a scripted mod mid game is regardless more likely to cause MORE crashes and less framerate than less. Even changing your load order without actually taking anything out of it, or updating mods claiming to be safe to update mid game will potentially injure or even break your save, and cause instabilites in a game that had none to start.

Regardless if you did not have Maria Eden active at all (that is you did not load that save before you talked to the statue, but rather started a genuine new save) in the test run with new downloaded Alternate Start, there is no way it can have any effect, unless it leaves DLL or INI files in your base Skyrim folder (some mods do, most often it's just a harmless log file though, even Sexlab does this) then there is no way that mod can be at fault, Mod Organizer doesn't do that in any way, unless you had that intergrated file-wise (Merged) with any of your other mods or something silly like that and files got left behind.

Hey, no, removing a mod is always resulting in a fresh start for me. Updating a mod mid play might or might not go as planed, but removing a mod usually screws all up, so i don't do that :) I've started like 10 times or so for the past week - week and a half, testing what could have caused this.

Here is the list of everything changed/added in the last month in the Skyrim folder

lastchanged.png?w=800

and this is the maria eden folder but it;s completely empty

lastchanged1.png?w=800

That is all i can think of for now :-(

Well, 

i've just managed to solve my CTD on save and found the mod doing it :)

It;s this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/77184/?

In my defense i can say that it's description is in russian. The guy is actually saying that there are russian and english version included and if you use both of them it will crash on save. I've tried leaving just the EN esp, but it still crashes on save with it. 

That's it guys! Moral of the story is take several minutes and really read the description and the first two pages in the posts section prior to installing the mod. I've skipped this rule here and there and it took me a month of starting new games, finding workarounds and debugging :))

Take care! :)

Well, 

i've just managed to solve my CTD on save and found the mod doing it :)

It;s this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/77184/?

In my defense i can say that it's description is in russian. The guy is actually saying that there are russian and english version included and if you use both of them it will crash on save. I've tried leaving just the EN esp, but it still crashes on save with it. 

That's it guys! Moral of the story is take several minutes and really read the description and the first two pages in the posts section prior to installing the mod. I've skipped this rule here and there and it took me a month of starting new games, finding workarounds and debugging :))

Take care! :)

Yeah I always open up mods in TES5Edit and look, if a mod like an armor mod has a world or cell edit, then I look into what it needs it for, then I delete those edits and if the armor was previously placed in the game by being stuffed in a barrel somewhere, I just add it with AddItemMenu instead, no difference really, easier to get a second set, and no compatibility issues.

Archived