solitairetheme8 vs rar

sen4mi

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/64734-solitaire-theme/ is locked (and I do not know why) but http://www.loverslab.com/topic/687-support-rules/ says "It's much appreciated if you post what you eventually did to resolve your issue.  You can also mark a reply as the solution by clicking "Mark Solved" and it will highlight that post for others. Your solution may very well serve to help somebody else who has the same problem."

So...

To allow IE to download .rar files with a .rar extension, you can use regedit to fix the problem:

Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content type\application/x-compressed

Open it up and change the Extension from .solitairetheme8 to .rar

Note that there still are other problems with IE so you might want to consider using another browser.

(On the other hand, some people paid a lot of money to get these "nifty new features" into IE so you might want to consider trying to use IE out of respect for ... something ...  Plus, other browsers sometimes also have problems.).

Why search for oh so good solutions if the solution lies before your eyes? O.o

If you download through IE just choose 'save as', choose the folder to put it in and before hitting ok check the file's name, if it says .solitairtheme8 or whatever, simply rename it to .rar or .zip, depending on the extraction tool you're using or the name given in the download section, it doesn't matter much - and hit okay.

Your file will then be downloaded as a valid archive that can be read by either 7zip or Winrar. No need for crazy workarounds.

The easiest solution however, is to get Chrome. I love using IE, but I switched to chrome for LL too, as the site has many more problems and restrictions in IE than the download issue only. 

Why search for oh so good solutions if the solution lies before your eyes? O.o

If you download through IE just choose 'save as', choose the folder to put it in and before hitting ok check the file's name, if it says .solitairtheme8 or whatever, simply rename it to .rar or .zip, depending on the extraction tool you're using or the name given in the download section, it doesn't matter much - and hit okay.

Your file will then be downloaded as a valid archive that can be read by either 7zip or Winrar. No need for crazy workarounds.

The easiest solution however, is to get Chrome. I love using IE, but I switched to chrome for LL too, as the site has many more problems and restrictions in IE than the download issue only. 

If you are interested in an answer to your question: that does not always work. (If you meant that rhetorically, well... I guess I do not know how to respond in that case.)

You would probably know why this is if you had been using IE to download a good number of rar files from the various sites used for game mods.

And, while chrome can be nice, it sometimes has problems, so you should have backup. (And IE does not always work - but when it works, it is better if it does not change the downloaded file's name.)

I've been using IE for more than a decade now, and I still am, and all my mods I got from here or elsewhere were downloaded using IE.

All the solitairetheme issues were solved by manually correcting the file extension before saving the file to my HDD.

I only used Chrome for the web based Skype, and because of the 'invert color' features it has using the right plugins, but a few days ago I switched to Chrome for LL too, as IE wouldn't allow me to post links, pictures, and stuff like that, and sometimes IE wouldn't even let me open a thread without crashing. :P 

And as not everybody is familiar with fiddling around in their registry, or some people just don't want to for several reasons, my suggestions is just another solution to the whole problem, if people insist on using IE for LL's site. 

I've been using IE for more than a decade now, and I still am, and all my mods I got from here or elsewhere were downloaded using IE.

All the solitairetheme issues were solved by manually correcting the file extension before saving the file to my HDD.

I only used Chrome for the web based Skype, and because of the 'invert color' features it has using the right plugins, but a few days ago I switched to Chrome for LL too, as IE wouldn't allow me to post links, pictures, and stuff like that, and sometimes IE wouldn't even let me open a thread without crashing. :P 

And as not everybody is familiar with fiddling around in their registry, or some people just don't want to for several reasons, my suggestions is just another solution to the whole problem, if people insist on using IE for LL's site. 

I smell a slight hint of bullshit here. Or, at least, a lack of awareness of the scope and nature of the potential problems:

Specifically, if you have been using IE for "more than a decade now" you are no longer talking about the "solitairetheme8" issues, because they did not exist for anything like "more than a decade now". (It would have been multiple different things named "IE", and I do not remember most of them suffering from this issue - it seems quite new. But, ok, if you have experience with this issue from a decade ago - or even before 2014 - I would love to see a writeup of those experiences.)

Also, for example, if you had been using mega, you would know that sometimes you do not have the option of "manually correcting the file extension before saving the file to [your] HDD".

That said, I do not think anyone minds "just another solution" - but you had specifically asked "Why search for oh so good solutions if the solution lies before your eyes? O.o" and I do believe that I had managed to answer that question?

But, ok, yes, also: not using IE at all is another solution.

No solution can be perfect though.

Am I talking Chinese or are you even reading what I write? 

The only site I ever had the solitairewhatever issue is LL, look at when I joined LL, and read my previous post again.

I have with no word ever said that I had this issue in all my time using IE. 

Anyway, I've never seen anyone defending IE more than I usually do. Creepy...

Am I talking Chinese or are you even reading what I write? 

The only site I ever had the solitairewhatever issue is LL, look at when I joined LL, and read my previous post again.

I have with no word ever said that I had this issue in all my time using IE. 

Anyway, I've never seen anyone defending IE more than I usually do. Creepy...

You seem to be writing in english, and I believe I am reading what you write.

So hopefully that clears that up.

And, from the intensity and slant of what you have been saying, I should probably ask something similar, about whether you have really been reading the things I have been writing. But, I do not feel like doing that, so ... um ... something.

And I guess it is good that you have confirmed that you have not downloaded .rar files in IE 11 from any site other than loverslabs.

I am not so sure that it is good that you think my occasional use of IE is creepy, but that is not anything I can do anything about. (But, on the off chance that that was an expression of curiosity: I do think that chrome (and firefox) need some competition, so I try to arrange so that I do not always use them. I cannot solve problems which I do not have...)

Guys, this is pretty much all pointless.  Windows 10 doesn't recognize 7zip files until you tell it how to.  It also seems to struggle with some zip files and rar files.  Just install 7zip and make it the default and stop using IE for LL downloading.  Can't really say it any more clearly.

Guys, this is pretty much all pointless.  Windows 10 doesn't recognize 7zip files until you tell it how to.  It also seems to struggle with some zip files and rar files.  Just install 7zip and make it the default and stop using IE for LL downloading.  Can't really say it any more clearly.

7zip is good advice.

Winrar only seems to be popular over here, huh? 

It's one of my essentials when setting up a new system so I didn't even know that Win10 doesn't like zip files. :o (Although 7zip definitely offers the better compression unless you buy Winrar.)

7zip with the max compression turned on (it isn't on by default) is pretty damn good.  I've not compared it side by side to WinRaR, simply because I'm not about to stoop to paying for a compression program.......so I stick with the free 7zip.   :P

I'm not paying for WInrar either, so I'm stuck with a low compression. But I'm just too used to Winrar's system integration. Or does 7zip let you pack stuff up via a simple rightclick from everywhere too? I might consider using it. :D 

7zip with the max compression turned on (it isn't on by default) is pretty damn good.  I've not compared it side by side to WinRaR, simply because I'm not about to stoop to paying for a compression program.......so I stick with the free 7zip.   :P

Many years ago I bought a lifetime WinRar.

Right now I am not using it anymore, but I did some comparison between the two (WinRar and 7Zip, including the compression algorithms.)

7Zip is free. And has a really good compression rate on about everything.

The right-click menu integration is a little bit rudimentary, but works.

It looks like a tool for an old version of Windows for the user interface, but works.

Little configuration on the UI.

No support for damaged files.

Slightly slower.

WinRar can be used for free to unzip and zip, but with the ad message.

The compression is about 5% worst of 7Zip in all cases (except compressed videos.)

Better integration and configuration of the UI.

Support for recovery of damaged files in Rar format.

Slightly faster.

Right now I am using only 7Zip, at home and at work.

Except when I get a big Rar archive that is damaged, then I try the WinRar recovery, that (if the Rar file supports recovery) goes well 99% of times.

*snip*

Right now I am using only 7Zip, at home and at work.

Except when I get a big Rar archive that is damaged, then I try the WinRar recovery, that (if the Rar file supports recovery) goes well 99% of times.

Wow, seems that I hit the 1% where it won't work when I once lost my whole Oblivion archive. (Which I packed myself, off course. Tried to repair it thrice but meh... it was gone.) I don't even know what broke it in the first place but well, shit happens. ^^ 

Other than that I always liked its compatibility with all and everything, plus it's easy to use. 

• 3 weeks later...

I know there is problem with windows 10 changing the file names and it does not have the save as option.

Windows 10 does not use IE it uses edge.

It is a problem of windows 10 changing the file extension name. The easy fix is to change the file type back, once you do that they can be opened nomrally.

It tends to happens more often with older files than newer ones.

Archived