Steam Activation Fears...

At least it's not as bad as those games that require a constant internet connection to play even when they're single player games!

All this online activation nonsense makes me amused in the sense that 50 years from now people will still be able to play some Atari game from 1982, but the state of the art games from the early 21st century will be so many useless coasters. Because these companies ain't going to keep their authentication servers up forever even if they don't eventually go under.

With Rage being confirmed as using Steamworks it seems more and more likely that Skyrim will as well. I understand why some people don't like Steam activation but personally I don't mind it so long as it doesn't interfere with the Skyrim Script Extender :P

Indeed. Though still, I hate being forced to use something, even if it's something I like. And I like Steam, a lot. But I'd much rather choose to use it, instead of be forced to use it.

I also hate seeing it forced on people who want nothing to do with it, and just want to play the game.

Customers should have a choice to use it or not, and should be able to choose how they want to play the game. Especially when they're paying $60+ for it.

Indeed. Though still' date=' I hate being forced to use something, even if it's something I like. And I like Steam, a lot. But I'd much rather choose to use it, instead of be forced to use it.

I also hate seeing it forced on people who want nothing to do with it, and just want to play the game.

Customers should have a choice to use it or not, and should be able to choose how they want to play the game. Especially when they're paying $60+ for it.

[/quote']

This.

I for one like steam, but not with my single-player games. I prefer to just, well, keep 'em off-line and all. :-/

Well, look at it this way. You get the patches delivered on the day of release and it's easy to get DLCs. I know I'm one of the minority that actually likes having Steam but I feel you're getting a good service (for free and able to go offline whenever!) for absolutely nothing.

At least this is better than GFWL or EA Origin for that matter... >>

The issue people have I think is one of choice. Steam is very nice, but it should be a service people choose to use. Not one forced on them.

Besides after the stunt they pulled with EA, Valve are fast becoming evil monopolists.

Yeah I know EA aren't saints or anything, but still.

hell i think i'm just gonna wonk the .exe. i'm not in the mood to be advertized to. video game protection isn't bad. it's the fact its a buissiness. it's bad enough that i have to put in my 80 digit serial code, i have to register it through the net with STEAM?! if you didn't think the serial was enough. then you have all this advertising too, and (of course) steam prolly gets a good deal on some of the stuff. meh.

(yes, i despise STEAM. just in case you were slow.)

• 3 weeks later...

I have never had any problem with using steam, pretty much buy 90% of my games on there now, my current count is 439 steam games (damn there sales!!!).

Unless a physical edition of a game gives me something much better than steam version I will always purchase the steam edition, hell after this week I just pre-ordered 6 copies of skyrim and steam makes it so easy to gift people copies (will talk about why in another thread) 2 for self (yes I have setup a completely seperate steam account/pc box for modding ect) and one to be kept vanilla, one for wife and three good friends!.

woooti!!! *crosses fingers that I can get wife to start modding again she always made me the most kinky fun mods for sims 2/3 and morrowind.

• 1 month later...

I had a quick question. With Oblivion on Steam the modding is restricted by how modded content can be put in, or so I hear. So it's an extra hassle to install mods. So do you think this will also restrict how mods are allowed to be installed?

That is what I'm worried about, I don't care about advertisements, I like the concept of someone else having the data that I can DL any time I want, but I don't want it to interfere with mods.

I had a quick question. With Oblivion on Steam the modding is restricted by how modded content can be put in' date=' or so I hear. So it's an extra hassle to install mods. So do you think this will also restrict how mods are allowed to be installed?

That is what I'm worried about, I don't care about advertisements, I like the concept of someone else having the data that I can DL any time I want, but I don't want it to interfere with mods.

[/quote']

There are no restrictions as far as modding with steam at all as they have confirmed that the exe will NOT be encrypted so it will be the same as a retail version. So NO WORRIES mate!! :)

There are ways to legally mod steam if you search about.

I had a quick question. With Oblivion on Steam the modding is restricted by how modded content can be put in' date=' or so I hear. So it's an extra hassle to install mods. So do you think this will also restrict how mods are allowed to be installed?

[/quote']

There are no restrictions as far as modding with steam at all as they have confirmed that the exe will NOT be encrypted so it will be the same as a retail version. So NO WORRIES mate!! :)

If you're at all familiar with Steam, a lot of Valve games specially support modding, and it's in fact encouraged, like HL1 and 2 and all games built on that engine. Steam even sports a specialized directory specifically for Source engine mods, and with Bethesda's latest track record regarding modding goes, I don't think they'd release it over Steam if they DIDN'T allow modding.

I can verify that in fact I created a seperate account on my modding pc when steam had oblivion GOTY edition for about $5 on one sale, this allows me to easily mod and if something goes wrong a one button reinstall with backups of each stage in developement.

hehe the amount of times I have violated steam games with wierd perversions, steam is an excellent way to get a game and mod it.

I know their are legal ways to mod oblivion on stream but I thought it was annoying workaround like every thing you did had to be via omod. That might just be ignorance, I admit.

At least that's good news for me, I probably will get it off steam as I'm not worried about the adds after leaving a game, and I don't see steam disappearing anytime soon.

..with Bethesda's latest track record regarding modding goes' date=' I don't think they'd release it over Steam if they DIDN'T allow modding.

[/quote']

Sorry, we know this isn't true! Microsoft don't allow, and work hard to prevent, modding of Xbox games. Beth are happy to release for this platform.

Indeed, they've said they develop for XBox360 and port to other platforms these days!

..with Bethesda's latest track record regarding modding goes' date=' I don't think they'd release it over Steam if they DIDN'T allow modding.

[/quote']

Sorry, we know this isn't true! Microsoft don't allow, and work hard to prevent, modding of Xbox games. Beth are happy to release for this platform.

Indeed, they've said they develop for XBox360 and port to other platforms these days!

I wasn't talking about X-box. The expectations of end users are different for consoles, and more and more developers are releasing accordingly.

I really don't think Bethesda would put it on steam if it didn't support modding, as it takes a good amount of time to make a program to let people make mods. I Also have Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas and they all work perfectly with mods on Steam. They work with all the programs and tools as far as I tried and ive never had a problem with the offline mode except with dead island.

To also be fully honest and fair if you cant get the game because of steam and your operating system, then the game probably didn't support your OS anyway.

Steam rarely encrypts their exe's so there should be no worries. There simply is no track record for steam doing so recently as New Vegas shows.

I don't think we need to worry about this but rather worry instead at how long it will take to convert nifskope and other tools to be able to modify/create meshes.