CTD in RaceMenu after certain changes

sen4mi

I am using bodyslide and racemenu (and I have never bothered to try bodyslide before).

Anyways, I think I had everything working, but then when in racemenu I started playing with the body weight slider. (The prisoner outfit looks horrible regardless of my character's body weight.)

For a few seconds everything seemed normal, and then things started vanishing and I wound up being a floating head.

So then I tried changing gender (and back again) I got my body back but my hands were still missing.

So then I tried changing race and I got a CTD.

Has anyone seen this kind of problem before? Where would I start debugging something like this?

I think I may have found something: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3238444-skyrim-enhanced-high-polygons-uunp-bodyslide/page-18 (if anyone else stumbles over this issue).

I am using the hdt variant of these outfits. And it looks like there's something wrong with them - so I am trying to understand that now...

Edit: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/74137/? looks helpful

Edit: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3238444-skyrim-enhanced-high-polygons-uunp-bodyslide/page-20&do=findComment&comment=34069445 and the following post looks like they should help, though I am not yet clear whether the bug is in bodyslide or the meshes.

• 1 year later...

It's nothing to do with the high polygons uunp bodyslide.  I've had this very same issue before having that mod, and only just recently installed that mod myself. Someone said to hide the nioverride.dll temporarily while tweaking the physical appearance of your character, then you can finish editing the makeup and stuff after unhiding the dll.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

sup. Same issue here

I'm coming from the internet now. I've meticulously searched every corner of everywhere I could find some whisper or mention of this problem. 

Without any success.

Things that I know know:

Simptoms:

- character body disapear while changing wheight in racemenu;

- if after that, you try to close racemenu or change sex/race, CTD;

- game CTD after tampering with weight slider in showracemenu:

- USUALLY WE JUST NOTICE THAT AFTER INSTALLING SOME BODY MOD* (attention here)

Cause:

Unknown for sure

Has nothing to do with:

- Bodyslide 2

- body mesh replacers

- save game

- Vanilla UUNP Armors and Clothing Bodyslide presets with HDT

- RAM or VRAM memory allocation

- Crash Fixes (all hail Sheson)

- HDT's xml

- HDT-SMP

Conclusions (so far):

It just leave us the CharGen, NiOveride or Racemenu 3.4.5 scripts as suspects. I'm not a coder myself and have no idea of how to debug a dll, it would be useful to know how this plugins  work.

What I recomend:

- Open Skyrim

- Call console (hit ' key) from the menu screen and go to riverwood or qasmoke ("coc riverwood" or "coc qasmoke")

- edit your char > save the head sculpt > save the preset > close (I've done it for 2h hours. Game crashes only if tampering too much with weight slider)

- close skyrim (or crash it)

- Open Skyrim > load your save > load the racemenu presets you just saved

and NEVER call racemenu again to change body weight/size sliders mid playthrough.

* = it's very rare to change to much of your char appearance mid-playthrough, and we almost always do that just after installing a body mod, which deceptively lead us to believe that the last mod was the culprit. But we can't know for sure if the problem was already there before. I discover that by crashing a new game without any above related mods

PS.: I will just leave this information here in hope someone else googling like a beast for this problem can stumble upon it. Just like I did.

On 2/11/2018 at 4:26 AM, rumpleforeskin said:

It is completely unrelated to memory. That much I know.

By spamming Racemenu sliders or browsing a huge selection of hairs that you may have installed in your game, Skyrim will crash when it tries to resize the initial memory heap size.

On 5/27/2018 at 3:27 AM, poisonedocean said:

Cause:

Unknown for sure

See above and what meh321 wrote on this subject:

"Looks like the menu itself has a problem. Every time you go over a hair in menu it reloads it. To see for yourself open task manager put it on second monitor, then go over all the hairs of your race, then go over the hairs again backwards etc. the memory usage will grow every time. When you close menu all the loaded hairs memory gets freed. So there is two way to fix:

- I must fix the problem with game code. OR

- Close the menu every now and again to free the memory. Precache killer has no effect on this."

On 5/27/2018 at 3:27 AM, poisonedocean said:

Crash Fixes (all hail Sheson)

You wanted to mention Crash fixes by meh321 instead? Read the mod description page.

The solution to enter and exit Racemenu without CTD is to switch UseOSAllocators=1 to UseOSAllocators=0 before loading your game and save/quit your game. Then switch back to UseOSAllocators=1 and load your savegame.

If after that you still have crashes, it may be due to armor or outfit mods whose .nif files have corrupted meshes, for example.

------------

Useful Links:

Mesh Tool N7 - NIF Healer

NifScan

Crash fixes by meh321

Skyrim classic Failed to allocate memory crash

meh321's Crash Fixes- Is there a way to automate UseOSAllocators?

21 hours ago, Fifoo said:

"Looks like the menu itself has a problem. Every time you go over a hair in menu it reloads it. To see for yourself open task manager put it on second monitor, then go over all the hairs of your race, then go over the hairs again backwards etc. the memory usage will grow every time. When you close menu all the loaded hairs memory gets freed. So there is two way to fix:

- I must fix the problem with game code. OR

- Close the menu every now and again to free the memory. Precache killer has no effect on this."

Oh. ty. That's one useful new info for me. It looks like we can kill the precache, but can't free the postcache... unless exiting racemenu, as stated.

21 hours ago, Fifoo said:

You wanted to mention Crash fixes by meh321 instead? Read the mod description page.

oh sry, was thinking one thing and typing another. I meant Memory Blocks Log , by sheson. Which is still a mistake, due to the reading of memory blocks log is altered/avoided by Crash Fixes. Now I know.

UseOSAllocators=0  showed itself very unpleasant, even with sheson's patch, due to extremely long loading screens. But it's still a workaround.

Again, I tested raceme changes for hours, scrolling up and downs the hairs, the eyes and some sliders all over again for more than an hour. But not even touching the weight slider.

No crash. Nothing happened. I saved sculpts and jslots and loaded them on other saves. Changed the weight one single time. No crash.

But, in any save, if I run left and right the weight slider, the body vanishes. Crash as soon as I leave Racemenu. 

Does NOT crashed with NiOveride hidden in MO or UseOSAllocators set to 0.

ty for the useful links, tho. I'm gonna check them now

Archived