normal map file with Gimp 2.8

Bloodfang

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to get a fitting normal map for a texture. I edited the normal map with Gimp 2.8, seems everything went fine so far.

Problem is, once I get in-game, it just CTD. Not sure what I should do now, the normal map is from the game files and is supposed to fit on the meshes.

I tried to do something with Photoshop CS2 and a pluggin I downloaded (from Nvidia) but Photoshop doesn't even recognize the normal map files.

I'm kinda lost, if anyone has a good program that could allow me to edit the normal map a bit, please let me know ^^

Thanks !

Guest MonsterFish

I don't get what you're trying to do. Open up the DDS Files in a file editing program? Or create a Normal Map using a file editing program? You can open up DDS files in GIMP, Photoshop or Paint.net and probably some others too. As far as I know the only program for creating normal maps is Photoshop, but there are some free ones online that I don't know the reliability of.

Also you seem to know what you're doing but just in case and from my own experience, Normal Maps need to be sized in exponents of 2 (2, 4, 8... 128, 256, 512, 1024 etc.) though I might be wrong from my inexperience with texturing.

Archived