Metal Gear V : Peace Walker 2 Rant

Veta

I played 'Mgs4:guns of patriots' last year and I was left in awe and amazement at the quality of the game , the detailed level design, the movie like cutscenes ,the wonderful and  full of depth characters and it all came together masterfully to form my favorite and one of the best video games ever made !

After that I went on to play every title in the series including 'Peace Walker' and that why when the Phantom Pain came out I was unfortunately disappointed the game was more like PW  than it was like an actual Solid title .

By no means am I saying its a bad game  but certainly not was anticipated .

That's quite odd, as MGS4 is considered by most as a weak entry to the series, though Ac!d should hold the title weakest.

MGS will always be my favourite, but its followed by 3, PW and PP.

While solid, 2 and 4 make for a worse trilogy in comparison to the big boss ones.

but certainly not was anticipated

How did you not anticipate it?

Did you not play GZ?

Did the number at the end confuse you? :lol:

Don't tell me you think it actually plays out in order? :D

I am a massive Metal Gear fan, and I too loved Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. It was essentially the finest example of fan service done right,a true love letter to the fans of the series. The Japanese audience however, from what I understand, were never as big of fans of the MGS series as the Western audiences were. If you look at the games that are released in Japan, a lot of them are fairly quirky and the gameplay is very grind focused. Peace Walker is an enjoyable MGS game, but I have not managed to finish it yet simply because it is such a grind. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain follows the grind model of Peace Walker in how the missions are laid out, and also relies heavily on audio logs to tell the story and flesh out the world.

The part that bothers me the most about MGSV is the same that bothered me in Peace Walker. You can't simply play the game and enjoy the story. There always some menial side op that needs to be done, points that must grinded for. It's an arbitrary barrier put in place to extend gameplay time. Westerners generally dislike this sort of gameplay, but the Japanese adore it. Peace Walker was the most successful MGS title in Japan at the time, and I can imagine MGSV was the same.

Another thing that bothers me a great deal in MGSV, and slightly less so in Peace Walker, is the lack of story. Much like Peace Walker I have yet to finish MGSV, although for different reasons. I own Peace Walker, but I haven't gotten the motivation to grind through that game yet. I have only managed to rent MGSV as I'm waiting for the price to go down (I'm cheap). MGSV's cutscenes are lackluster, and the huge story exposition that the series is (in)famous for is largely gone. I loved the long cutscenes of the older games, and I always enjoyed the more long winded presentation of the story and the world it took place in. In MGSV I have to listen to audio logs in order to get all of this extra information, and it's not as enjoyable. The gameplay in MGSV is very well done, and is enjoyable. But the story does feel like an MGS game to me. The soul of the series is dead, and most of that is likely due to Konami rushing the game, and Kojima being burnt out with the series.

Plus, Kiefer Sutherland brings nothing to the table as Big Boss. Big Boss might as well be like Gordon Freeman and not talk at all. That probably would have been better, as I hate hearing Kiefer as Big Boss. I also hate Troy Baker as Revolver Ocelot, he has literally ruined the character for me (which is a shame, as he was one of my favorites in the original games), and his tone of voice too often sounds like he's trying to sound like Miller which makes things hard to follow sometimes.

All in all, what time I had with MGSV was half and half. I liked the gameplay, and as an MGS fan there are some things in there for me to enjoy. But there is also a lot of things lacking the game that hamper the experience for me, and it will likely be the worst MGS game I've played (when considering the whole package).

How did you not anticipate it?

Did you not play GZ?

Did the number at the end confuse you? :lol:

Don't tell me you think it actually plays out in order? :D

Like the previous Solid titles , this was more of a hub single-player game than it was open world .

GZ was more like proof of concept for me and tbh it had a more linear structure similar to the previous games

I understand the order of the games and most of the story , I even kind of like how the time jumps around .

Time wise however PP is right after  Peace Walker and the gameplay is much more like PW which also has base building rather than the usual mgs formula , for me its more like spinoff similar to Revengace .

Also in my opinion MGS4 blows every other game out of the water .

Archived