The Elder Scrolls Online

elderonline530pxheaderimg.jpg

Long rumored and much anticipated, The Elder Scrolls Online is finally being unveiled in the June issue of Game Informer. In this month's cover story we journey across the entire land of Tamriel, from Elsweyr to Skyrim and everywhere in between.

Developed by the team at Zenimax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online merges the unmatched exploration of rich worlds that the franchise is known for with the scale and social aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.

"It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years," said game director and MMO veteran Matt Firor, whose previous work includes Mythic's well-received Dark Age of Camelot. "The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

An in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons awaits in our enormous June cover story – as well as a peek at the player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself.

Come back tomorrow morning for a brief teaser trailer from Zenimax Online and Bethesda Softworks, and later on in the afternoon for the first screenshot of the game. Over the course of the month, be sure to visit our Elder Scrolls Online hub, which will feature new exclusive content multiple times each week. You'll meet the three player factions, see video interviews with the creative leads, and much more.

The Elder Scrolls Online is scheduled to come out in 2013 for both PC and Macintosh.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/03/june-cover-revealed-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx

===

Oh... dear. This bodes ill for my life outside gaming. Has anyone invented a robot that can take care of all human needs yet? :-/

There is a lot of rage on the forums, but i'm personally pretty excited, and happy that the main team is still going to be focused on Skyrim DLC and FO4.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/190-elder-scrolls-online-general-discussion/

Meh, like I say, i'm willing to give it a chance. I love TES for its lore besides the modding, and we will still have the single player games. Its been developed bya different team. DAoC was immensly popular and a good game, and still has a decent playerbase if I recall right.

Seriously, i'm prettyu optimistic. Worst it can do is fail. Its being made by a different team, one with MMO experiance, so its not going to get in the way of FO4 or Skyrim DLC. Hell, several years in development could very well mean its almost due for release.

Guest Donkey

Not to mention bug fests.. It would suck.. If you played for some time them the game ctd back to desktop. If only they focused on getting just 1 stable enough game on release.

Well at least lovers with pk on-line would be out of the question. Since this game would not be moddable to prevent cheats etc..

this makes me sad, turning the game into an mmo will kill any chance of more single player games.

WoW killed any chance of more warcraft rts's, how would blizzard make a game that would work in the same world as an rts when they evolve the world in the mmo?

the same will happen with the ES mmo, they wouldn't be able to produce a single player game when the mmo will evolve the world.

i was glad the fallout mmo died, it would have made it nearly impossible to get fallout 4.

A-are you kidding me?! This is a joke right? RIGHT!?

Has Bethesda lost it? Why would they do this? I can't fucking believe it!!!

Demongoat's right, this will kill any chance for any other titles. Skyrim is the last elder scrolls game in the series folks. There won't be an Elder scrolls 6 (although it's not like a want another one) or a Fallout 4, or anything else.

Wow, I just lost the rest of my faith in Beth. How they're going to translate elder scrolls into an MMO is beyond me. What, make it yet another WoW clone? NO. GOD NO.

Maybe it's too early to bash it, maybe there's some hidden secret or some hidden features that will make the game fun. But I can already see that it will have NONE of that. It will be a lazy half-assed game because they know that their fanbase consists of MILLIONS of young gamers who love SKYRIM SKYRIM SKYRIM! SO much that they'll die for it (I am not accusing any of you guys to be one of them, because none of you are). They don't need to do anything special because they know that the little blind fanboys will play it regardless. Haha, I can see all the Runescape players migrate to Elder Scrolls Online. It would be hilarious.

At any rate, screw this game, cause I'll be playing Guild Wars 2 when it comes out. Sorry for the ranting, but I had to.

It takes place 1000 years before Skyrim. Sometime in the second era. Its also not being produced by Bethesda, but by the people who made Dark Ages of Camalot.

There will be a TES VI.

They have gone backwards in time exactly to avoid the problem of the MMO evolving the world. We are being plunged back into a time with Vivec, Almalexia, Sotha Sil and such att he height of their power. Where Paarthurnax is still sat on High Hrothgar awaiting the last Dragonborn and Alduins return. The King of Worms is still around in his lich form. A few centuries before Talos. In this timeframe much of the most interesting stuff of the past happens.

http://imgur.com/a/fO9Ty#5 <-- Scanned pages going indepth.

Well it looks promising on paper, but so do many other MMO's that have been developed. I honestly still have little faith in this. I'll have to see gameplay before I can make a final decision.

I already knew it was going to take place in the past for the reasons mentioned (it was obvious).

At any rate, we'll see. I'm still EXTREMELY skeptical.

Doesn't look too bad. Definitely a little generic, but at the same time, some of the more iconic TES things you can see definitely stick out.

I'd like to see more of the character designs. I think I saw a Bosmer, or perhaps she's Altmer. In either case, I'm somewhat displeased as the difference in style between her and either of her potential Skyrim counterparts. I love what they did with the elves and would love even more to see them represented consistently.

If it's free, odds are I'll give it a serious look.

How disappointing. For anyone like me that wanted an elder scrolls game online it looks like we will have to wait a long time for one with elder scrolls setting with elder scroll game mechanics(as in skyrim combat leveling vs dragon age). If you ever played dark ages of Camelot this game looks really familiar which I guess makes sense because it has some of the same people working on it.

I hope that eventually auto attack hotbar games fade and die because they suck compared to skyrim or mount and blade combat or fps games. Even games like final fantasy tactical combat or strategy games can have fun combat but games like dragon age have such boring combat its sad.

This is probably the worst thing that could happen with the series.

I'm aware of the fact that Bethesda itself isn't developping the game, but still, an Elder Scrolls game which can't be modded, fixed by the community is absolutely worthless to me (nobody would play Morrowind or Oblivion today without the mods and I'm still keeping distance towards Skryim, since Skyrim is the biggest piece of shit i've ever seen created by Bethesda).

I read the article about it and while it does look good, it doesn't look good enough. Not with Guild Wars 2 coming out soon. Sure, ESO would appear to be improvement on games like WoW and AoC, but what I have heard from friend of mine who has played GW2 in beta, that game is going to be so much more advanced that ESO won't be able to compete on me. Only thing that ESO has it over GW2 seems to be that it has faction vs faction PvP integrated with the world, and that in itself is sometimes liability to me. Sometimes I just want to explore and do PvE and RP.... sometimes I want to do PvP. So... yeah. But I do wish them good luck and success, and I hope that they do suck lot of players from WoW.

Oh, it certainly won't replace the single player TES entries, with modding and the single-player-sandboxes. But thats not what its about for me.

I'll be there to roleplay with other people in an Elder Scrolls setting, explore Tamriel, and (re)get to know old favorite NPCs. I'm not looking at as I do the single player games. I want something different out of it personally.

I would have prefered a first-person and tradional TES playstyle, but it is what it is. I suppose i'm lucky that no other MMO out or on the horizen appeals to me. I don't paticularly care how 'fun' to play other MMOs are, most of them have terribly shallow or generic backdrops. I just love the Elder Scrolls series and story. Thats what i'll be going for. I actually like the art style from those pictures, and being able to see old and new areas? Awesome.

this makes me sad' date=' turning the game into an mmo will kill any chance of more single player games.

[/quote']

Demongoat's right' date=' this will kill any chance for any other titles. Skyrim is the last elder scrolls game in the series folks. There won't be an Elder scrolls 6 (although it's not like a want another one) or a Fallout 4, or anything else.[/quote']

Are you two retarded? TESO can't possibly have any effect on additional single player titles because they're done by two different companies. If Bethesda were doing both, you might have a point, but it's Zenimax Online doing TESO. Bethesda Softworks is sticking to single player.

Seriously, name as many franchises as you can think of that were killed by MMOs. Here, I'll help:

1. Warcraft.

2. ........

Yup. One.

Funnily enough, Final Fantasy has survived not one, but two MMO's, and still comes out with single-player games.

Your fears are baseless speculation at best, there's absolutely no evidence TES will die with TESO, get the fuck over yourselves.

I'm aware of the fact that Bethesda itself isn't developping the game' date=' but still, an Elder Scrolls game which can't be modded, fixed by the community is absolutely worthless to me (nobody would play Morrowind or Oblivion today without the mods and I'm still keeping distance towards Skryim, since Skyrim is the biggest piece of shit i've ever seen created by Bethesda).

[/quote']

You're retarded for a totally different reason. Skyrim is no Morrowind, to be sure, but to even begin to insinuate it sucks worse than Oblivion is laughable at best. Oblivion is the steaming shitpile of the TES series and was only salvageable because the community is awesome. There are just so many things that Skyrim does better than Oblivion ever did that I have to think you have no idea what you're even talking about.

Opinions, right? ;)

Nevertheless, I played every Elder Scrolls game, from Arena to Skyrim (even Redguard) and I still think that Bethesda just completely lost it with Skyrim.

Skyrim is more dynamic and looks better, yeah, but that's it, there was absolutely nothing which kept me playing after my 30 hours (Vanilla Oblivion made me at least play 60 hours before getting bored of it) of gameplay and Skyrim personally is my biggest buyers remorse ever.

- The story, although stories are not really that important in Elder Scrolls games, was boring as fuck since it involved such a generic common threat which you see in every other rpg these days. Dragons.

- The quests were, in comparisson to Oblivion, completely underwhelming (Skyrim Mage Guild or Thiefs Guilde anyone?).

- The dungeon exploration was non-existent (one big red line). Yeah, they looked great, but the feeling of actually exploring something, going other ways, enterting sub dungeons was not there.

- The customization is a joke for an Elder Scrolls game.

- The difficulty slider is missing and the difficulty system in general was cheap as fuck.

- 360 port.

So, yeah, there are probably more things which pissed me off, but those are / were my main gripes. I'm probably going to have a look at the Skyrim modding community in 4-5 months and check out the progress of the current mods, but if I find nothing else of interest there, I'll stick with Morrowind and Fallout New Vegas and just pretend that Skyrim never existed in first place.

edit: BESIDES THAT, I never said that Oblivion was a great game!

this makes me sad' date=' turning the game into an mmo will kill any chance of more single player games.

[/quote']

Demongoat's right' date=' this will kill any chance for any other titles. Skyrim is the last elder scrolls game in the series folks. There won't be an Elder scrolls 6 (although it's not like a want another one) or a Fallout 4, or anything else.[/quote']

Are you two retarded? TESO can't possibly have any effect on additional single player titles because they're done by two different companies. If Bethesda were doing both, you might have a point, but it's Zenimax Online doing TESO. Bethesda Softworks is sticking to single player.

Seriously, name as many franchises as you can think of that were killed by MMOs. Here, I'll help:

1. Warcraft.

2. ........

Yup. One.

Funnily enough, Final Fantasy has survived not one, but two MMO's, and still comes out with single-player games.

Your fears are baseless speculation at best, there's absolutely no evidence TES will die with TESO, get the fuck over yourselves.

I'm aware of the fact that Bethesda itself isn't developping the game' date=' but still, an Elder Scrolls game which can't be modded, fixed by the community is absolutely worthless to me (nobody would play Morrowind or Oblivion today without the mods and I'm still keeping distance towards Skryim, since Skyrim is the biggest piece of shit i've ever seen created by Bethesda).

[/quote']

You're retarded for a totally different reason. Skyrim is no Morrowind, to be sure, but to even begin to insinuate it sucks worse than Oblivion is laughable at best. Oblivion is the steaming shitpile of the TES series and was only salvageable because the community is awesome. There are just so many things that Skyrim does better than Oblivion ever did that I have to think you have no idea what you're even talking about.

First off, making the generic insult of calling us "retarded" is not only extremely offensive, but is completely wrong. Last I checked none of us here have a medical syndrome or defect in one of our chromosomes that impairs or ability to function normally as human beings. Otherwise none of us would be posting on this site.

Secondly, chill dude. Whoop-de-doo, we've made a speculation. Realize that at the moment of posting I wasn't aware that Zenimax was creating the damn game. Holy shit, I made mistake, a simple correction would've sufficed instead of the immediate insulting. Just cause you aren't talking to me or anyone directly, doesn't mean you can say "to hell with common courtesy" and go right towards the "tough-guy" act.

Opinions' date=' right? ;)

[/quote']

True enough. On that point, I resolve to leave that line of discussion where it lays.

First off' date=' making the generic insult of calling us "retarded" is not only extremely offensive, but is completely wrong. Last I checked none of us here have a medical syndrome or defect in one of our chromosomes that impairs or ability to function normally as human beings. Otherwise none of us would be posting on this site.

Secondly, chill dude. Whoop-de-doo, we've made a speculation. Realize that at the moment of posting I wasn't aware that Zenimax was creating the damn game. Holy shit, I made mistake, a simple correction would've sufficed instead of the immediate insulting. Just cause you aren't talking to me or anyone directly, doesn't mean you can say "to hell with common courtesy" and go right towards the "tough-guy" act.

[/quote']

*takes a deep breath*

You're right, I kinda went overboard. I just get so tired of seeing those kinds of things because they are so farfetched and hairbrained. I guess I just kinda lost it.

I apologize, to you and anyone else I may have offended.

I accept your apology.

We all have those moments where someone doesn't get something that seems so blatantly obvious to us that we just want to rage at their ignorance; I know that I've done it. We just gotta realize that it isn't okay to rage on it, unless that person really is a moron...

No hard feelings eh? :)