The Elder Scrolls Online

Bethesda has a history of making buggy upon release games... That's bad news for sales and subscriptions in MMOs.

Good thing Bethesda isn't making this, then. Or bad thing, we'll see.

Zenimax Online is producing TESO, not Bethesda. We desperately need to quash this misinformation, in the hopes that some people can take off the fanboy goggles for a moment and see, at the very least, that Bethesda is not involved with this (beyond consulting more than likely), therefor it does not interfere with potential future single-player TES games.

Bethesda has a history of making buggy upon release games... That's bad news for sales and subscriptions in MMOs.

Good thing Bethesda isn't making this' date=' then. Or bad thing, we'll see.

Zenimax Online is producing TESO, not Bethesda. We desperately need to quash this misinformation, in the hopes that some people can take off the fanboy goggles for a moment and see, at the very least, that Bethesda is not involved with this (beyond consulting more than likely), therefor it does not interfere with potential future single-player TES games.

[/quote']

Correct me If I'm wrong, but I remember New Vegas being a pretty buggy game at launch. Many reviewers stressed upon this point.

[/quote']

Correct me If I'm wrong, but I remember New Vegas being a pretty buggy game at launch. Many reviewers stressed upon this point.

Zenimax had nothing to do with Fallout New Vegas either. That one was done by Obsidian, using code it got from Bethesda.

[/quote']

Zenimax had nothing to do with Fallout New Vegas either. That one was done by Obsidian, using code it got from Bethesda.

Really? I'm so confused now 0.o

Guest Donkey

Correct Obsidian did create new vegas but was still using Bethesda buggy engine. So in all most errors are still leftover from bethesda not Obsidian. Obsidian should have fixed what Bethesda broke over the years. But they did not do it either.

If Zenimax will also use Bethesda buggy engine, they could fall in the same trap as Obsidian.:sleepy:

I'll wait and see what the game mechanics play out as. If I get the wiff of another WoW clone i'm just going to go ahead and not bother.

It's one of the reasons that my love of The Old republic died - I hate how WoW handles it's combat and it's character development.

It's not going to be well liked' date=' Elder Scrolls = SinglePlayer highly modded fun, NOT MMO!

[/quote']

That's kind of how I feel about Elder Scrolls.

They've always felt like an MMO-type of game that only I play in, and that's what I love about them (and the modability).

I would actually hate to have others in my Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim worlds.

I don't see how the magic of Elder Scrolls games (for me, at least) can at all be captured in an MMO.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but unless this has a drastically different playing style than WoW and it's clones, it will be a moderate failure of an MMO.

How do you use the skill-based leveling up system in an MMO of today? The last ones I know of that were reasonably successful that did a system like this were Ultima Online and Asheron's Call (I never played AC 2 so I don't know if the skill system carried over).

Whatever it does, I hope it doesn't do what The Old Republic did, which was clone/copy the WoW system from a few years ago (that in many ways WoW was already moving away from, having had those systems reach their limit) and put them in a bad engine - the Hero Engine, which is the same one this Elder Scrolls MMO is planning to use.

Correct Obsidian did create new vegas but was still using Bethesda buggy engine. So in all most errors are still leftover from bethesda not Obsidian. Obsidian should have fixed what Bethesda broke over the years. But they did not do it either.

If Zenimax will also use Bethesda buggy engine' date=' they could fall in the same trap as Obsidian.:sleepy:

[/quote']

meh well yeah you'd think they would but obsidian is a pretty mediocre company as well.

they made KOTOR 2 and it was a buggy mess too, and they made NWN 2 and that was a weak mess.

obsidian has really never made a good solid game, only buggy sequels.

it is sad really because they can write good stories, but they just aren't that good at programming it seems.

i think i liked fo3 better than NV, i think fo3 had more quirky characters

Whatever it does' date=' I hope it doesn't do what The Old Republic did, which was clone/copy the WoW system from a few years ago (that in many ways WoW was already moving away from, having had those systems reach their limit) and put them in a bad engine - the Hero Engine, which is the same one this Elder Scrolls MMO is planning to use.

[/quote']

a question for folks, what is wrong with the hero engine other than that bioware used it?

a lot of the issues with ToR was what bioware did with the engine, not the engine itself.

i don't think you can look at the engine and say the game will be bad because it is using X engine.

i mean games like daoc and warhammer use the gamebryo engine, just like oblivion and skyrim, but is the game engine bad because warhammer was a crap game?

i would say not, if ESO is a crap game it is because zenimax decided that trying to get blizzard players to stop playing a blizzard game that is good to play a clone of a blizzard game that sucks, makes it a crap game.

if it is purely class based and nothing but a grind with a loot treadmill that holds your hand, i won't be playing it, since i could play wow, which is what wow is.

Whatever it does' date=' I hope it doesn't do what The Old Republic did, which was clone/copy the WoW system from a few years ago (that in many ways WoW was already moving away from, having had those systems reach their limit) and put them in a bad engine - the Hero Engine, which is the same one this Elder Scrolls MMO is planning to use.

[/quote']

a question for folks, what is wrong with the hero engine other than that bioware used it?

a lot of the issues with ToR was what bioware did with the engine, not the engine itself.

i don't think you can look at the engine and say the game will be bad because it is using X engine.

i mean games like daoc and warhammer use the gamebryo engine, just like oblivion and skyrim, but is the game engine bad because warhammer was a crap game?

I don't actually know if it was a problem with the Hero Engine, or what Bioware did with the Hero Engine, as only 2 games (that I know of) have been released that use it - TOR and a game called Faxion Online - which I'd never heard of until after having terrible problems on what otherwise seems a fine PC playing TOR.

All I know about Faxion Online is that it launched on May 26th 2011 and shut down on Aug 24th, per it's Wikipedia entry.

It's probably something Bioware did, but my PC plays Skyrim just fine on max settings (have some issues with shadows, so I do have those disabled via some .ini edits as when you lower them they're pretty ugly), played Rift perfectly at max settings in everything (game also came out in 2011), yet struggled with TOR dramatically with settings as low as I could make them.

FPS would drop to between 5 and 10 whenever I entered a warzone (8v8 pvp instances), but would hover around 20-25 on the Fleet (basically the main city, where you could have 50+ people close to you. That says that something about the PvP was badly coded, but even in the Fleet, based on how things looked, performance was bad. The game, for me, looked worse AND performed worse than Rift, with a lot less other people on the screen.

Generally had no FPS issues in the 4 man instances, though, or in the 8 man raids (my guild didn't do any 16 man raides), so not sure what exactly caused the problem, but the visual quality and performance were both bad, and in PvP there was amazing lag on your abilities actually firing (worse than anything I ever saw in Wintergrasp in WoW when the zone was uncapped so could be 80v80 or even more - on my older computer).