Dragon's Dogma

(Please forgive me if there already is a thread about this game)

Dragon's Dogma is a fantasy RPG created by CapCom. Before you start bashing the game for not being Skyrim let me tell you that there are some really amazing parts to the game.

It's hard to describe the game mainly since it isn't out and it does some really cool things, so here's a little bit of math for you:

Cyrodiil-like world + Dark Souls feel/graphics + Dark Souls/Skyrim combat + Shadow of the Colossus boss fights = Dragon's Dogma in a nut shell. Sounds fun? I thought so.

Go check it out on youtube. From what has been scene the general over-world is very similar to Cyrodill from Oblivion, but the graphics are like Dark Souls in its gritty-ness. The combat is a bit like a hybrid but in all honesty I think that in many ways it's even superior to Dark Souls (in it's action and fluency but Dark Souls at least for now is the more complicated and intricate system). And when I said Shadow of the Colossus boss fights I wasn't really kidding. No, the bosses aren't all giant titans that you HAVE to climb up to to kill, but you can very well do that. AND IT LOOKS FUCKING AWESOME. You can grab hold of enemies and attack them as they flail around and do their thing. You'll be wailing away at a dragon and then suddenly it will start to fly in the air as you are clinging on for dear life.

But their are PLENTY more cool bosses then dragons. Skyrim had dragons, but Dragon's Dogma has dragon bosses, Hydras, griffins, giant eagle dudes, giant stone golems, cyclopses, beholders, even Chimera's! They look fucking sick and the battles are chaotic and epic.

But before you go searching around on Steam or amazon for your copy, you'll be sad to hear that it isn't out yet. Sadly, we'll have to wait until the end of May. It comes out on Xbox 360 and the PS3. There's no PC version as far as I can see which is a damn shame though since RPGs do best on PC. AND TEH MODZZZZ!1! :(

At any rate, I haven't even scratched the surface on the skill system and such. You create a side kick and there's this "pawn system". Go search it online or on youtube because I can't really explain it. The night is also supposed to be extremely dangerous and REALLY dark making sleeping at inns and leaving on journeys early a must. I love that.

Anyways, here's a vid on youtube that shows some epic footage:

Hope you enjoy :)

Anyways, what are your thoughts? Do you want the game? Discuss.

I don't know if it's worth it. Capcom has been known to completely ignore their fanbase at times. They're pretty low.

I'm not sure what you mean by "GFWL", is that an abbreviation for "games for windows live"?

If so, you'll be sad to hear that capcom has no plans of adding coop in any form to the game, making it strictly single player save for the option to take other player's pawns and add them to your party. But who knows, maybe the pc port (if it evers sees the light) will add coop. Or maybe someone will make a mod like with skyrim. We can't be sure.

Games for Windows (Live), yeah.

Didn't know that they are not planning to add a COOP mode for this game, since last time I heard something from this game was something about an online mode. Anyway, if you're interested in such a type of game, I HARDLY would suggest you to get Dark Souls for PC on 24th AUgust. Hardcore Action RPG (with PVP and COOP) and one of my favorite RPG's of the last five years.

Games for Windows (Live)' date=' yeah.

Didn't know that they are not planning to add a COOP mode for this game, since last time I heard something from this game was something about an online mode. Anyway, if you're interested in such a type of game, I HARDLY would suggest you to get Dark Souls for PC on 24th AUgust. Hardcore Action RPG (with PVP and COOP) and one of my favorite RPG's of the last five years.

[/quote']

I already own Dark Souls for xbox and I'm loving it as well. I might get it for pc because of the new content but it will depend on how they translate the controls. It was honestly my favorite game of the year, I liked it better than Skyrim.

Guest flingingfeces

Played the demo on PS3 the other day. I loved everything about it besides the annoying voices jumbling together over each other. Griffin riding ftw!

Played the demo on PS3 the other day. I loved everything about it besides the annoying voices jumbling together over each other. Griffin riding ftw!

Yeah, the voices are a bit out of control. That's arguably the only flaw so far. But in that mess there can be valuable info. Hopefully it will be ironed out by the release.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the game is being released tomorrow and the reviews are out. It's been getting 7-9's.

They love the combat and pawn system, but they find the game to be "uninspired" in the world, quests, and cities (which is funny because skyrim was pretty much like that but they found it just fine).

At any rate, I'm still set on buying the game when it comes out.

This seems like a very interesting game, I have the xbox demo, and am looking forward to picking it up when I have a bit more time to play. I've checked out a few live streams of it over on twitch tv, pretty fun stuff.

I've played the demo and was pretty dissapointed to be honest. The combat didn't feel right and there were so much information on the screen, and everyone talking over another.. it was pretty frustrating.

I then saw the mixed reviews, which for me is a better sign than only totally positive ones, and decided to still gave the game a chance and bought it.

And what should i say, it's pretty fantastic till now.

Since i didn't really liked the combat in the demo i choose to go with a magician this time, and that was (for me) a great decision. But i also must say that i would now feel pretty confident about the other classes (knight and thief classes) now that i know the basics.

The combat is not as great as Demons/Dark Souls (the best in any real time combat) but its really good.

The rest of the game also feels pretty good, and even a bit more role play like than i imagined (which is a good thing.)

The art design is great, but the character look a bit weird.

Ovetrall i'm glad that i didn't change my mind after the demo and bought it. Having a real good time.

I've been loving the game so far. It actually exceeds my expectations.

I've been asked to compare it against Skyrim and I don't think that's a fair comparison, but here's been my reply:

Dragon's Dogma's big strengths:

1. Combat system

2. Monsters that you can climb on if they're huge, or that you can grapple with - to include picking up and throwing if they're man size or smaller.

3. Pawns - I've really enjoyed the concept - especially how they have learning levels on how to combat a specific kind of monster, quests, and areas on the map.

4. Affection system - similar to what you see in the BioWare games with gift giving, not really refined, but something that they can definitely improve upon

5. Monster AI - it's simply better, from some panicking when on fire to others doing the stop, drop, and roll move, while one Ogre let me climb all over him while stabbing and another slammed his body into a mountain side to knock me off.

Skyrim's hands down edge:

1. Story - Dragon's Dogma has one, but it isn't as strong, and their world lore seems a little convoluted presently

2. NPC interaction - Dragon's Dogma strikes me as more World of Warcraft like in their quest and NPC interactions.

3. Availability of your skills/spells - Dragon's Dogma locks you in at only 6 spells/special moves unless you go to an inn and change them up - which has led to more than one moment when I realized I was fighting a Griffon without any means of either hitting it with fire or enchanting my weapons with flame (why - because if the Griffon's wings are on fire it can't fly away)

4. Available on the PC and has mod support

Dragon's Dogma is my choice of RPG on the console hands down.

If they were both available on the PC, I'd find a way to live with both of them. :)

I've played the demo and was pretty dissapointed to be honest. The combat didn't feel right and there were so much information on the screen' date=' and everyone talking over another.. it was pretty frustrating.

The art design is great, but the character look a bit weird.

[/quote']

There is a way to turn off the Pawn chatter in your options if you haven't turned it off yet. I've a huge TV, so luckily it doesn't get in my way.

I also agree on the character. Even if I get one that looks decent using the different sliders, the cut scenes often showing him with his mouth agape while he's in awe of the life he's been thrust into has my son calling him the "Short Bus Window Licker Hero."

If anyone is on the fence then they should watch Angry Joe's video review of the game. I think that he nails it perfectly and he makes excellent reviews.

[video=youtube]

It's a shame that the game has its flaws, no fast travel and predictable spawns worsen the game. The story isn't that interesting as well. But the combat is top notch. Watch the vid for yourself.

Angry Joe got me interested in Skyrim. I'd just watched his review of this game before coming here. Funny, tho, I wouldn't say "if you're on the fence watch this" because he's the one that put me on the fence for Dragon's Dogma. No matter tho since I don't own a console and can't play it. He forgot to mention no PC version.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it new for 60, all I got was a little sticker telling me I get early access to RE6 demo (how? I have no idea, there's nothing in the box to indicate this) and a big annoying pop-up screen telling me to buy day 1, day 2, day 3 DLCs (yes, they released like a crapload of DLCs IN THE FIRST WEEK, such bullshit). Saving games is pretty tedious, and you should save often because when you die you will go back like 2 hours and be like, where the hell am I?

Other than that, I enjoy the game. Its really different than Skyrim so I wouldn't compare the two...Skyrim focuses on immersion and story while DD's story is meh and immersion is, not on par with skyrim. It focuses more on gameplay.

Save often, and DONT GET ARRESTED...I learned a new move and swung my sword around a bit and got arrested, only way out is to use a rare item (ore+shackle) or pay like 5k to the dick guard. For once I want to PAY WITH MY BLOOD (well, since its loverslab I should say BODY)

Enjoy guys, wait for it to drop a bit in price

The weapon shop upgrade is also lame......I finished it too soon and now they don't provide better weapons for me to buy. And it autosave immediately after you finish the quest, so no turning back.

An RPG with only one save slot and now you created this kind of quests?

What the *beep* Capcom. :dodgy:

I guess it's because of the pawn system. Things would get wonky with going back a save and you might have had a different pawn etc. In all honesty I would've been MUCH more happy if they removed the online pawn system, gave us more save files, and gave us co-op. THAT would've been awesome.

Not the pawn system, it is the auto online update system matters. If it won't auto update pawn data constantly, and only do that when you quit game, then we can have more save files for sure.

Yeah, replace the online pawns with co-op players is much more awesome. But that will give some players a lot of unique items by completing the same quest over and over. Is this the original plan for the game?

Archived