[Win Tweak] Add new custom context menu options via Registry (Open with Photoshop, etc)

Akzyra

Just found abouth this and wanted to share it.
Sorry that my OS is in german, but as this is for advanced users it should not be a problem.

Custom context options to open files in applications

2# Post: Add an Icon to an option

Example of my PNG context menu.
I wanted a fast way to edit PNG in Photoshop:
df8kWVji.png

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. I cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk. If you follow this correctly the chance of this is very low.

Now to the guide:

1. Open the Registry Editor:
Windows key + R: Type "regedit.exe". A windows will pop up asking if you want to open this app. Click yes.
Use google to get more info, but if you have problems even with this I assume this is too advanced.

As said, be very careful!

Once open, you will see this:

cRZWISna.png

2. Find the Path to the PNG settings:

At the bottom you can see if your selected path is right.
Browse to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pngfile
Should lool something like this: Note that I added the photoshop key.
85rcVOnK.png

3. Add a new entry: Rightclick on "shell" -> New -> Key
Give it a simple name that holds meaning. I added "test" for the tutorial.

It should hold some meaning but still be short.
sXexAgXq.png

4. The next step is to give the context options a nice text, like "Edit in Photoshop CS6"

For an Icon as well see the second post.
For that click on the newly created key and look on the right side.

K3P4zcvT.png :: ZbaOQyUQ.png

It is german. sorry. It says that no value has been set. We want to change that:
Double click on the name and enter what you want to see later:

TFWr48vM.png

5. Now we need to setup what programm it will open:
We need a new key inside our entry. "test" is my tutorial one.
Rightclick and add a new key and name it "command".

7qXd7Opg.png

Now it should look like this:

Fo2lMnLU.png

6. Inside the command key on the right side is another not set value.
This is where you enter the program to open.

The value to insert here has to be setup in a special way:

"C:\Path\toThe\Application\app.exe" "%1"

In our example we use Photoshop CS6: On my System in Installation Path is not the normal one, but that doesn't matter at all.
Get where it is on your drive and see that it matches that setup.
I have to enter this value:

"I:\Programme\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

7. You are done!

Righclick any PNG file and if you select that new option it will open the file in Ps CS6, or whatever you added.
Our new entry in the context menu:
THh9bfgH.png

The complete setup in the Registy Editor:
UIPkgfUX.png

Lasty some more usefull Paths in the Registry for other file types:

• JPG files: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pngfile\shell
  • TXT files: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell
    Not really needed: You can setup the default normally and the "Edit" option always opens notepad
  • 3dsmax: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\3dsmax\shell
    I added one for 3dsMax 2014 as I have multiple versions
  • DDS File: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ddsfile\shell
    if you have Irfan View it might have added a new key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IrfanView.dds\shell

Irfan View creates its own entries for many filetypes if you let it do that during the installation or later in the settings.

If the normal "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pngfile\shell" for example doesn't work, try "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IrfanView.png\shell".

Other applications may to the same.

Many things are possible to to with this, but please inform yourself about what you edit and how to setup applications to open files.

Some require specials parameters as the command.

And because I don't want to be responsible if you fuck your System:

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. I cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.

Added as a new post as the OP is quite long

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. I cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.

And how to add an Icon to an option:

Image:

ZBOPVMbA.png

How to do:

Add a new value next to the description inside "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pngfile\shell\photoshop"

Yes, it is german.. Sorry! it should say "New" -> "String". Make sure it is the same type as the first value.

eexTLkMd.png

The Name has to be "Icon".

The value has to be setup in a special way:

1. You have an ICO file:

Just put the filepath as value.

Some programs like 3dsMax have a folder full of icons: ....\3ds Max 2016\Icons

2. You have and EXE or DLL where the icons reside (For example to get the application icon)

You can just put a path, for exampe I have a DLL with many Icons: "I:\My Icons\Icons.dll"

If you don't specifiy a number it will select the first icon inside the EXE or DLL. (Index 0)

To get to the others, add a number after a "," like this:

"I:\My Icons\Icons.dll",3

To see what Icons are inside a DLL there are good tools on the internet, but a slighly clunky way comes with windows:

Open the setting of any Shortcut on your Desktop. There will be the option to change the icon.

This is my DLL. I added how the index works if you want to get a specific icon.

bPJprO3E.png

Photoshop.exe as example:

8u2r3lrk.png

Archived