Fresh Install, advice on mods please?

Photonix

As the title states, after getting a new PC I am about to start a fresh install of Skyrim, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on a few mods, and maybe this will be useful to other people in a similar situation.

1st: What is the most popular body type these days? I used to use UNP / UNPP but recently all I see is talk about CBBE and 7B? I'm looking for a body with the most compatible mods / cloths whats your thoughts? 

2nd: is Death Alternative needed anymore? I used to use a lot of mods like Simple Slavery, SD+ defeat and so on! DA used to be a needed requirement, but I see a lot of these mods I used to use, no longer require it, it's not been updated in ages and always has a ton of issues, thoughts?

3rd: I used to use NMM to install and manager my mods along with LOOT Tes5edit ect, but from what I've been reading recently, MO seems to be much better and more compatible with every mod, thoughts?

TBC.

As the title states, after getting a new PC I am about to start a fresh install of Skyrim, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on a few mods, and maybe this will be useful to other people in a similar situation.

1st: What is the most popular body type these days? I used to use UNP / UNPP but recently all I see is talk about CBBE and 7B? I'm looking for a body with the most compatible mods / cloths whats your thoughts? 

2nd: is Death Alternative needed anymore? I used to use a lot of mods like Simple Slavery, SD+ defeat and so on! DA used to be a needed requirement, but I see a lot of these mods I used to use, no longer require it, it's not been updated in ages and always has a ton of issues, thoughts?

3rd: I used to use NMM to install and manager my mods along with LOOT Tes5edit ect, but from what I've been reading recently, MO seems to be much better and more compatible with every mod, thoughts?

TBC.

1st: 7B is probably the most popular mod - most (new) mods are using 7b bombshell as far as I can tell. But you should be using bodyslide and use any preset you like most. CBBE or UUNP is more or less a religious question. There are some discussion threads here on LL on the matter, just look for them and make your own mind up about it. I for one think that UUNP has better textures, which is enough for me to use it (although there are some weaknesses compared to CBBE as I've read (but vice versa also)). Essentially it comes down to animation quality, bodyslide conversions and textures...

Based on your post, you're probably using sexlab, so I for one think that UUNP would be the better choice because it ships with an built in vagina and there is a very resourceful thread here to get all the related HDT stuff working properly.

2nd: Can't really say much about that. I've used it myself, but now I don't (but I don't have any sexlab related mods installed too). But if it isn't a requirement, why would you want to use it if you use another mod that does essentially the same?

3rd: Not sure about NMM - they now have virtual directories too, right? Anyway, I've been using MO since like it came out and never felt like I was missing any crucial features. You can't do anything wrong when using MO. 

TBC.

1st: 7B is probably the most popular mod - most (new) mods are using 7b bombshell as far as I can tell. But you should be using bodyslide and use any preset you like most. CBBE or UUNP is more or less a religious question. There are some discussion threads here on LL on the matter, just look for them and make your own mind up about it. I for one think that UUNP has better textures, which is enough for me to use it (although there are some weaknesses compared to CBBE as I've read (but vice versa also)). Essentially it comes down to animation quality, bodyslide conversions and textures...

Based on your post, you're probably using sexlab, so I for one think that UUNP would be the better choice because it ships with an built in vagina and there is a very resourceful thread here to get all the related HDT stuff working properly.

2nd: Can't really say much about that. I've used it myself, but now I don't (but I don't have any sexlab related mods installed too). But if it isn't a requirement, why would you want to use it if you use another mod that does essentially the same?

3rd: Not sure about NMM - they now have virtual directories too, right? Anyway, I've been using MO since like it came out and never felt like I was missing any crucial features. You can't do anything wrong when using MO. 

Very informative thank you.

Regarding the Bodyslide program, I did use that in the past, watched many videos and tutorials but I am not sure I used / understood it correctly apart from the very basics, if used correctly are you saying that you can use any cloths for the body you prefer? Because when I tried to convert a CBBE cloths for my UNPP it didn't work so well. :P

Regarding the Bodyslide program, I did use that in the past, watched many videos and tutorials but I am not sure I used / understood it correctly apart from the very basics, if used correctly are you saying that you can use any cloths for the body you prefer? Because when I tried to convert a CBBE cloths for my UNPP it didn't work so well. tongue.png

Admitted, it can be a bit daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it you won't stop using it^^

I'm not sure what you mean by "convert" in this case. Basically, there are 2 types of bodyslide conversions, one's are for CBBE, the other's are for UUNP. The difference, this is simplified though, is that the body meshes themselves have different layouts, hence the UV and consequently the textures differ from each other. That is why the textures will look screwed up if you use UNP  textures on a CBBE body and vice versa. 

So if you create an outfit from a CBBE conversion for your UUNP body, everything will look just fine but you will have "broken" body textures. If you have an armor that's hiding all of the skin anyway, it wouldn't even matter though.

So all you got to do is to look out for the types of conversion you want, be it CBBE or UUNP. 

For more advanced usage, just check the many tutorials out there (although I find them to be lacking in detail... it's like reading a book about how to ride a bicycle - I for one would've enjoyed a thorough video on it's usage much more...)

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/25180-unofficial-bodyslide-2outfit-studio-tutorials/

Regarding the Bodyslide program, I did use that in the past, watched many videos and tutorials but I am not sure I used / understood it correctly apart from the very basics, if used correctly are you saying that you can use any cloths for the body you prefer? Because when I tried to convert a CBBE cloths for my UNPP it didn't work so well. tongue.png

Admitted, it can be a bit daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it you won't stop using it^^

I'm not sure what you mean by "convert" in this case. Basically, there are 2 types of bodyslide conversions, one's are for CBBE, the other's are for UUNP. The difference, this is simplified though, is that the body meshes themselves have different layouts, hence the UV and consequently the textures differ from each other. That is why the textures will look screwed up if you use UNP  textures on a CBBE body and vice versa. 

So if you create an outfit from a CBBE conversion for your UUNP body, everything will look just fine but you will have "broken" body textures. If you have an armor that's hiding all of the skin anyway, it wouldn't even matter though.

So all you got to do is to look out for the types of conversion you want, be it CBBE or UUNP. 

For more advanced usage, just check the many tutorials out there (although I find them to be lacking in detail... it's like reading a book about how to ride a bicycle - I for one would've enjoyed a thorough video on it's usage much more...)

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/25180-unofficial-bodyslide-2outfit-studio-tutorials/

Thanks once again, will bookmark the page and give it some more practice!

• 1 month later...

Necro'd! So I finally got around to a nice and clean fresh install, so far so good, I was wondering if anyone could answer a simple question for me please, when adding new animations using things like NSAP and the new Animation loader, I understand you should do one at a time ect run FNIS load game, but then is it best to Register Zaz animations then NSAP then reset animation registery in Sexlabs then save exit and install a pack from the SLAL, install it in game and then do you have to reset animation registery each time like that via sexlabs? 

Last time I added new animations pre SLAL I really wasn't sure what was the correct order to do things in game via Zaz, Sexlabs and any other mods that add animations, any advice would be great thanks!

Necro'd! So I finally got around to a nice and clean fresh install, so far so good, I was wondering if anyone could answer a simple question for me please, when adding new animations using things like NSAP and the new Animation loader, I understand you should do one at a time ect run FNIS load game, but then is it best to Register Zaz animations then NSAP then reset animation registery in Sexlabs then save exit and install a pack from the SLAL, install it in game and then do you have to reset animation registery each time like that via sexlabs? 

Last time I added new animations pre SLAL I really wasn't sure what was the correct order to do things in game via Zaz, Sexlabs and any other mods that add animations, any advice would be great thanks!

Not sure if I understand you correctly...

As soon as you change your animations, be it because of installing or uninstalling animations, you have to run FNIS.

So if you want new SL animations, you install the pack, run FNIS, and then register them ingame (at least that's what I did and that always worked).

I'm not sure though if you need to run FNIS in order for SL to pick up the new animations, but if you don't you won't have any animations, though.

Not sure if I understand you correctly...

As soon as you change your animations, be it because of installing or uninstalling animations, you have to run FNIS.

So if you want new SL animations, you install the pack, run FNIS, and then register them ingame (at least that's what I did and that always worked).

I'm not sure though if you need to run FNIS in order for SL to pick up the new animations, but if you don't you won't have any animations, though.

Yeah sorry, I wasn't really sure how to word it. I'm fine with the Installing part and FNIS, but what I am unsure of is the order in game, when you start a brand new game, you have to: 1 Go to MCM menu > 2 Install SL > 3 Register Zaz animations > 4 install other animations through NSAP or SLAL(?) >  5 Then reset animation registry in SL(?) > then repeat 4+5 each time you install new animations via the new SLAL? I think step 5 is only if you want to clear animations right? I remember reading a long time ago about needing to reset animations registry for some reason when adding animations but I can't remember.

I've not done a fresh install / added animations is a long time, so I've kind of forgot the process. >:o

1: I personally like CBBE and there is a whole bodyslide thread with a lot of clothes. Although UNPB does indeed looks better it has very little support (I think). I would recommend CBBE.

2: I'm pretty sure DA is still a requirement for SD+. 

3: I spent 3 hours migrating from NMM to MO and it was completely worth the effort. I used to play Skyrim on a laptop with 4GB RAM and MO performed much faster in comparison to NMM when it comes to installing and uninstalling mods. Also NMM install directly into your Skyrim folder whereas MO does not do so. It might take a while to get used to MO but I would definitely recommend it.

and your process above looks right.

Archived