Question about MO hide feature

Guest supersentai

Guest supersentai

Is there a beneficial on why to hide the conflicted files? I mean if we have mod B win over mod A, mod A gonna be overwritten right? This is assuming you want mod B to win all those conflicted files from mod A. Should I better off hiding those losing conflict files from mod A so they won't need to be loaded just to get overwritten by mod B? I know hide is useful when you want some file of Mod A not to be overwritten by B. But in the case where you do want them to be overwritten, I was just thinking, why not just hide those files. Will it allow the game to run a bit smoother since it doesn't need to load mod A losing conflict files.

There's no point in hiding files that will be overwritten. They will never be seen by Skyrim. MO loads the files into a virtual filesystem as if you copied them into a folder manually. (it actually creates symlinks to them, but has the same effect)

IMO it's just added complexity.

There's no point in hiding files that will be overwritten. 

Hmm......In theory MO only loads the latest files in priority. But I've first hand experience of issues with NPC overhauls - morphs from mods earlier in my priority list interfering with mods below them. When I've hidden those files, the problem has gone away. For example, I've had Ordinary Women loaded after Consistent Older People in both panes of MO yet still got head/body mismatches. Hiding the COP file has resolved the problem. 

Even if that's coincidence, it's hardly complicated is it, hiding a file? All it does is alter the file extension. In my view if you've got the tools to do good housekeeping and you know a file is redundant, why would you not make good use of them?

It is just another tool or feature that you have the option to use as you see fit.

Lets say you have a mod that has to be below another one however one file is conflicting in that mod from the one above. Without this feature you would have to go through the work to remove that one file and create a patch out of it and then create yet another entry in MO. Now you just have to hide that single file or group of files and all would be good. There will be no more conflict and all mods will work as intended.

You don't have to use it, and you might never need to use it however it can be very useful in very specific situations.

Archived