Is there a large "must have" list for mods?

Guest Vendayn

For complications I like Skyrim the Journey the most. It does take a much more hardcore approach though. But it performs really well and has amazing mods.

Another one is Skyrim Perfectly Modded, which is a lot more casual and laid back than the Journey, and it includes HDT and all the basics needed for Loverslab. Personally find it not to perform as good as The Journey, but the mods are a lot more fun and it takes a more "fun/casual" approach than Journey.

I tried STEP and the mods for it are boring, lame and dumb. Plenty of people like STEP though, but almost all the mods on STEP are mods I did not or would ever want to use lol. It was the complete opposite of how I enjoy Skyrim and Skyrim mods.

Other than that, those are the only three as far as I know, and STEP is only one that gives step by step guides to setting things up. But Journey and Perfectly modded is all setup and ready to go, with a few things to do on the user end (PM you need to make a drive X on your computer, so that is an initial step). Journey is a lot faster to get going. But for both you'd need to spend a lot of hours and bandwidth downloading them.

For complications I like Skyrim the Journey the most. It does take a much more hardcore approach though. But it performs really well and has amazing mods.

Another one is Skyrim Perfectly Modded, which is a lot more casual and laid back than the Journey, and it includes HDT and all the basics needed for Loverslab. Personally find it not to perform as good as The Journey, but the mods are a lot more fun and it takes a more "fun/casual" approach than Journey.

I tried STEP and the mods for it are boring, lame and dumb. Plenty of people like STEP though, but almost all the mods on STEP are mods I did not or would ever want to use lol. It was the complete opposite of how I enjoy Skyrim and Skyrim mods.

Other than that, those are the only three as far as I know, and STEP is only one that gives step by step guides to setting things up. But Journey and Perfectly modded is all setup and ready to go, with a few things to do on the user end (PM you need to make a drive X on your computer, so that is an initial step). Journey is a lot faster to get going. But for both you'd need to spend a lot of hours and bandwidth downloading them.

Seems you maybe missed the STEP mission statement, hence why you found it "boring, lame and dumb". They say:

STEP:Core is NOT about

... content that conflicts with TES lore or vanilla Skyrim lore.
... mods that subjectively alter or contrast with the style of vanilla Skyrim.
... new content that is out-of-scope with vanilla Skyrim.
... mods that subjectively alter gameplay mechanics.
... mods that have a high likelihood of having "data conflicts" with other mods.
... mods that have a high performance penalty.

One big advantage of STEP and similar guides is that you learn something along the way. The other is that because it's only an enhancement of the core fundamentals of the game, we're free to do whatever the fuck we want  once it's up and running. My Skyrim would give the STEP team lots of facepalm opportunities.

These packs are all fine and dandy until their selection of some pretty hefty performance hog mods blow up in a few faces. If you're green enough at modding to want to hand the whole process off to some Russian curators of "all the cool things", then good luck when it goes *bleh*'cos you're going to need it.  These guys make some pretty extravagant claims about how their packs perform. But hey, maybe they did test their setup on all sorts of jerry-rigged monstrosities in all sorts of real world situations and managed to do the Creation/Gamebryo equivalent of turning water into wine.
Guest Vendayn

I know how to mod fine, and even made a few really good compilations that I uploaded for people. I put one up here, but loverslab cracked down on it after a couple months of it being up (same with whoever put up The Journey and the guy who put up Perfectly Modded. Probably got too many complaints). My final one even included a lot of mod organizer stuff.

But STEP isn't something I'd ever want to use. Its great for a lot of modders, but not great for some modders. :) Heck, even my own compilations I wouldn't expect everyone to like lol. And heck I even recommend to people to, in fact, mod their own game to how they want it, not how someone else made it or how someone else tells you to do it. I'd much rather see someone not use any guide or compilation (except mod lists of course are different), since they can make a game that fits their particular needs.

With that said, compilations and STEP is nice cause they give a nice guide or startup to getting a fun (and hopefully) working Skyrim without needing to do thousands of hours of work trying to figure things out. Which is one reason STEP is really nice, and better than compilations like the russian one, is cause it gives a detail of each mod and how to set it up properly. Compilations are fine for instantly starting Skyrim, and while I am "trying" the russian one, I still much prefer a custom fit Skyrim. Which is one downside of perfectly modded and The Journey, only a mod list, not really a detail of each mod or anything to help the user.

In any case, what Skyrim could benefit from is something Oblivion has...multiple HUGE lists of different mods for people to use. Skyrim has STEP, and not much else as far as I've found. Maybe I've missed things, but Oblivion modders have actually made far better "must have" mod lists than Skyrim does. Granted Oblivion is older, but Skyrim is 5 years old now and Oblivion had much better "must have" mod lists by Skyrim's age. I can easily find tons of awesome mod lists for Oblivion (even after 2 or 3 years there was awesome lists), but much harder for Skyrim. Besides STEP, there isn't much else.

That isn't the game's fault though of course. But any time someone mentions a mod list, they just talk about STEP or sometimes compilations, not actual mod lists. Or sometimes they troll the user and tell them to search each category of nexus lol. That isn't a "must have" mod list :P

Guest supersentai

Pretty much I make a categories and check out the mod for those. So animation, texture, character/model, quest. Check out the mods and see where they are categorized as and then after having them all together narrow down some mods that might be similar to each other then check each mod to see if they have any compatibility issues. STEP was nice for me when I started to learn modding. The ini sections and tutorials on tes5edits was useful. As for their STEP mods recommendation I sometime take some of it and some I do not like. I usually take the core and just build my own selections of mods. A must have mod list for me though that is always be the same for every profile is all the bugfixes that are made by mod developers.

I know how to mod fine, and even made a few really good compilations that I uploaded for people. 

I'm not suggesting you're a rookie, just that your expectations of what STEP was and what it intends to be might have been misaligned. 

STEP is very conservative for sure, but it's guides are pretty much peerless and they can be that forensic because of how rigidly they stick to the line. Put it this way, anybody looking to learn how to mod can do no better than starting there imo, they'll come out of the process a lot more clued up than when they went in.

And then, if they're anything like I was, they'll go their own way anyway. 

Guest Vendayn

I know how to mod fine, and even made a few really good compilations that I uploaded for people. 

I'm not suggesting you're a rookie, just that your expectations of what STEP was and what it intends to be might have been misaligned. 

STEP is very conservative for sure, but it's guides are pretty much peerless and they can be that forensic because of how rigidly they stick to the line. Put it this way, anybody looking to learn how to mod can do no better than starting there imo, they'll come out of the process a lot more clued up than when they went in.

And then, if they're anything like I was, they'll go their own way anyway. 

yeah, I'll agree with that. And actually, now that I remember, STEP was the reason I figured out mod organizer properly to begin with. So they are definitely really useful in learning how things work.

Archived