Using mods assets and copyright infringement

Rico87

Hey folks,

So, let's imagine that I am scrapping free stuff in order to prototype a game on Unity.

Let's imagine that for example, a body type (with a face hands and feet), some clothes for that body type, are sufficient for my prototype.

How okay would it be to "borrow" these and use them in the prototype?

Is it a case of "just dont do it, dont", or "ask the owners first", or "if it's just for a prototype, why do you even bother asking?" ?

Any input appreciated,

cya!

Asking permission first regardless of the purpose of use i normally just consider good form, it just better to have your bases covered just in case something gets left over or forgotten about further down the line and it can in some cases lead to some new alliances, say you wanna "borrow" something from an animator and you present your case etc and who knows they might take interest in the project and be willing to help make some original assets for a potential release.

When you do get permissions etc keep a copy of the email etc for future reference in case someone comes a long and later states that it is theirs. Some mod authors have given up their works to others and these individuals might chase down those that are using the assets and tell them to remove them. With the original permissions from the creator you should be safe for the most part.

Does anybody actually get sued for stealing mods? I mean, lawyers and black ties and all that?

Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems kinda...small time.

On a small time scale like mods? most likely not, because chances are the value of the assets won't be determined by the court to even cover the costs of the lawyer. 

However, on the scale of an actual game that is being developed with Unity or Unreal Engine? I'm sure the answer would be yes. Chances are if the assets are being used in a game, then the creator is planning selling the game. In which case, the value of the assets would greatly increase.

Does anybody actually get sued for stealing mods? I mean, lawyers and black ties and all that?

Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems kinda...small time.

On a small time scale like mods? most likely not, because chances are the value of the assets won't be determined by the court to even cover the costs of the lawyer. 

However, on the scale of an actual game that is being developed with Unity or Unreal Engine? I'm sure the answer would be yes. Chances are if the assets are being used in a game, then the creator is planning selling the game. In which case, the value of the assets would greatly increase.

Also if it is a business model (company for profit) they likely have a lawyer on retainer for these sorts of things.

Hey folks,

So, let's imagine that I am scrapping free stuff in order to prototype a game on Unity.

Let's imagine that for example, a body type (with a face hands and feet), some clothes for that body type, are sufficient for my prototype.

How okay would it be to "borrow" these and use them in the prototype?

Is it a case of "just dont do it, dont", or "ask the owners first", or "if it's just for a prototype, why do you even bother asking?" ?

Any input appreciated,

cya!

Don't try to get away if anything if your game is going to be legitimate.  Use nothing but licensed resources you have the legal right to distribute as a 3rd party user.  That goes from meshes and textures to the fonts you use to advertise it.  And avoid doing your own licensing at all costs.  Rely on existing licenses so you can avoid any legal tangles.  Let problems that might arise fall on someone else's shoulders.

Best to assume nothing is license-free.  Someone somewhere has a license for it; a license to use the content for profit or one that disallows profit.  Why work on something heart and soul and take a stupid risk?  Buy the products you want to use and adhere to the licensing.  If that's too hard to do or if you just can't be bothered, then don't make the game.  Do it right or not at all.

What's the scope of the game? Does it particularly need the whole underlying body + clothes on top? eg. are you showing some specific functionality or just using these as a characer? There are some free character assets in the Unity store and other places.

Considering body mods were likely built around existing Skyrim resources for the purpose of fitting and replacing them, I wouldn't use them myself. I like keeping a Kevin Bacon's distance away.

Archived