Battle of Giant Robots

ds64

The Challenger:

The Response:

What do you guys think?

Even if it's just for publication/marketing, I still really looking forward to it.

It's reminded me of "Real Steel" though..

The Japanese robot looks awesome but what are those gatling guns gonna do against the gigantor cannon on the US robot? And what will they do if the giant ball goes through the windshield on the Japanese robot and kills the pilot? It bent a steel door in another video, imagine what it would do to a face.

The Japanese robot looks awesome but what are those gatling guns gonna do against the gigantor cannon on the US robot? And what will they do if the giant ball goes through the windshield on the Japanese robot and kills the pilot? It bent a steel door in another video, imagine what it would do to a face.

Well, I'm guessing if they went through with it, they'd make adjustments for pilot safety.

Would still be pretty awesome to watch a giant robot fight  :D

It's hard to say how they'll judge damage.  IIRC, the video said something about using paintball type ammo so that neither robot was truly damaged.  Understandable given what it probably cost to build both bots.

Real life gatling cannons are capable of tremendous damage though.  A 20mm gatling cannon can put a bullet in every square inch of a football field in no time at all.  Combine that with depleted uranium ammo, and you've got massive armor penetration potential.  U.S. (and doubtless other countries) ships use radar guided gatling guns with DU ammo to shoot down incoming missles.  They use DU because it's the only material they found that would penetrate the missile nose cones.  Other types of ammo couldn't overcome the steep angle of deflection to penetrate the nose of the missiles.

Real life gatling cannons are capable of tremendous damage though.  A 20mm gatling cannon can put a bullet in every square inch of a football field in no time at all.  Combine that with depleted uranium ammo, and you've got massive armor penetration potential.  U.S. (and doubtless other countries) ships use radar guided gatling guns with DU ammo to shoot down incoming missles.  They use DU because it's the only material they found that would penetrate the missile nose cones.  Other types of ammo couldn't overcome the steep angle of deflection to penetrate the nose of the missiles.

A 20mm gatling cannon can put a bullet in every square inch of a football field in no time at all.

No cannon has over 8 million rounds. :P

"They use DU because it's the only material they found that would penetrate the missile nose cones."

No :P

And what's a ciws got to do with robots with paintball guns? :P

A 20mm gatling cannon can put a bullet in every square inch of a football field in no time at all.

"They use DU because it's the only material they found that would penetrate the missile nose cones."

Let's try this again:  Taking it in reverse order, what it (a CIWS) has to do with the match is a direct response to your own post.  YOU brought gatling cannons into the conversation.  The Phalanx and some of the new CIWS systems are true gatling cannons.  IF the Japanese had gatling cannons and the judging was hypothetically based on some estimated real world damage equivilent, they could score big points fast depending on the composition and thickness of the US bot's armor and if the japanese were allowed to say they were using imaginary DU ammo.

Second; "No" isn't an answer backed by any evidentiary support.  Granted the official line from some of the bureaucrats is that systems like the Phalanx now use Tungsten rounds.  I've talked to lifetime members of the US Navy who tell me they're still using DU for exactly the reason I outlined.  Angle of deflection is a real issue in ballistics.  some 22 pistols can't even penetrate car rear window glass on some vehicles because of the angle the glass in installed.  OH, and US ships still carry nuclear depth charges and a few nuke tipped Tomahawk missles too, despite what we told Australia ages ago.

Lastly / firstly, I was being slightly metaphorical in my previous opening comment.  The fact is that gatling guns have cyclic rates (depending upon model) of 200 rounds per minute up to 75 rounds a second.  It's an almost literal wall of metal in the heavier, faster cyclic rate guns.

• 2 weeks later...

Lastly / firstly, I was being slightly metaphorical in my previous opening comment.  The fact is that gatling guns have cyclic rates (depending upon model) of 200 rounds per minute up to 75 rounds a second.  It's an almost literal wall of metal in the heavier, faster cyclic rate guns.

That must be expensive as hell omg....................

Those are neat to look at, but they'd need some pretty cool destructible parts, fast strafing, and obstacles to really make it worth watching. They look like they're really slow moving, so in my head I'd just imagine two turrets shooting at each other.. and with live pilots.. you'd only want to shoot ammo that's as harmless as ping pong balls.

On the surface, extremely cool. In practice.. we'll have to see.

Archived