GTX 970 (SLI) Owners

Guest syrevo

Hi

first I apologize for my crappy English.

I'm planing to finally replace my old rusty GTX 580 with GTX 970 (SLI), mainly for Skyrim with ENB since I pretty much only play grand strategy games with the exception of KSP and Skyrim, so I'm curious how does the GTX 970 (SLI) fair with Skyrim heavy ENB presets + 4K textures?

With my current setup I get around ~15-20 FPS with heavy ENB and 4k textures, my aim is constant 60 FPS 

There shortly ago was a huge shitstorm, because Nvidia faked some of the data of the 970.

Eg only 3.5 of 4GB of its memory is bound in with the fast method, so if you have some high quality textures the game could start stuttering. There also were some other points.

TL;DR: Nvidia lied about the quality of the 970. It's still not a bad card, but just not as worthy as thought.

Wow, i had no idea about nvidias shiftiness there.  Didn't consumers have rights once upon a time?

More to the point, I'm running Skyrim with enb + 4k textures on a single gtx 970, and its pretty darned smooth.  I didn't keep the fps counter running long because everything seemed peachy, but i think my low was about 40-45 fps.  Two of them might be overkill, but then you could always run it downsampled from a ludicrous resolution too.

Yeah, like I said, it's still a great card, but simply not as brilliant as told first by Nvidia.

I've seen a new benchmark test after my first post here, where they compared the GTX 970 and 980, playing the games Battlefield 4, Dying Light, Far Cry 4 and Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor.

So, the conclusion basically was the following: on Full HD there was no real difference between 970 and 980, on 4k the only difference were more stable frametimes by the 980, meaning less microstuttering, though both cards HAD some microstuttering (on 4k)!

So, if you think about playing with this card for a few years from now, then maybe you should think about the GTX 980. At the latest when the games need all 4GB of VRAM (which will happen in 2 years latest, i think), then the 970 will have a big drop compared to the 980.

There shortly ago was a huge shitstorm, because Nvidia faked some of the data of the 970.

Eg only 3.5 of 4GB of its memory is bound in with the fast method, so if you have some high quality textures the game could start stuttering. There also were some other points.

TL;DR: Nvidia lied about the quality of the 970. It's still not a bad card, but just not as worthy as thought.

I'm aware of GTX 970 VRAM issues (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spZJrsssPA0), but since I'm only running  @1080p I doubt this problem will factor in Skyrim even with 4k textures

Wow, i had no idea about nvidias shiftiness there.  Didn't consumers have rights once upon a time?

More to the point, I'm running Skyrim with enb + 4k textures on a single gtx 970, and its pretty darned smooth.  I didn't keep the fps counter running long because everything seemed peachy, but i think my low was about 40-45 fps.  Two of them might be overkill, but then you could always run it downsampled from a ludicrous resolution too.

low 40-45 FPS with single card is nice, think I'll settle with single card then and leave the GTX 580 for PhysX, thank you for your reply

Archived