Skyrim Modding Guide

For iNumThreads=XX, if I have 4 cores, do I enter that as iNumThreads=4 or iNumThreads=04 ?

Reasonably certain it's 4. It's stated that if you have 4 or more you actually enter 5 but I entered 4 to be sure, it might be a typo and it should be "more than 4".

I tried out the program you linked, some nice stuff, but I was unable to use it. It doesn't like the extra help text and changes in Ewi's inis, neither does Mod Organizer's configure inis help tool. I might reinstall New Vegas soon however so I'll use it for that.

The mod "Stable uGrids to load" corrupts memomy, leading to random CTD. This issue was recently rediscovered - it was originally found out in 2013 and the author promised a fix but never delivered it to the public. Source is on its nexus page. Crossreference can be found on the STEP guide and the dangerous mods list on reddit/r/skyrimmods.

Thank you Snares for the heads up, I have read the discussions where you pointed them out and I'll remove the recommendation for the mod from the front page. That also means I'll completely remove the recommendation to use any ugrids you want, as far as I know without this mod that's completely impossible if you want a sustainable game.

hmm ran into a new problem that I have not seen before.   Before I go too crazy into debugging this thought I would ask here.   New install of Skyrim on windows 10 machine with APU setup.   MSI r9 280 3g video card with 16 gig system memory.   

Install went great for 2 weeks without any sexlab stuff.   Never had a crash or anything funny ever.

Installed Sexlab, all the latest files all fresh downloads the usual stuff, zaz, MNC, NSAP, Amorous, SOS, MiasLair, and had to install Aroused because MiasLair has it as a requirment :(.   It was actually running great until I put Mias and aroused in (maybe dump both to have a clean running game).   Here is the issue, the Game halts (not a CTD) with a virtual call error at the end of a sex act along the Amorous Adventures line.   I noticed it most recently in the Annette and Sylga lines of the mod.   I Really wanted to run the game without any form of Aroused as was suggested last week as the game ran very stable without it.   Any suggestions?  Or just remove every mod that has it as a requirement and stay stable.

current mod list included.modlist.txt

dont have papyrus log, but can run one if needed.

sorry mispelled the names, Annekke and Sylgja lines of the quests.   Yanked Mia, Aroused and all the DD mods out (only ones I had that required Aroused to be in there) and tested all the scenes that were crashing and all went fine.   As much as I like MiasLair, guess its out along with any aroused mod or mods that require it.   Still welcome any ideas to make it work, but fine if they have to go.

Here's some more tweaks I*d like you to test, these should in theory improve both your performance and also lower your script lag, letting you run more scripts at once. These are ini tweaks, I haven't used tweaks like these before.

To make sure you can revert I suggest you either take a copy of your ini files (located in your Profiles directory) or of your entire profile. There is a chance you will see instabilities, and possibly crashes with these. Or you may see none of the sort, and just a very big performance boost. It was quite frankly stunning the boost I got. MAKE SURE YOU USE VSYNCH OF SOME SORT TO CAP YOUR FPS as even with a totally modded out game on an old system you might see enough of a performance gain from this that your framerate goes high enough that your physics start getting wonky and Havoc falls apart entirely. Capping your FPS on 60 should in theory stop that.

Performance:

Multi-Core CPUs - These tweaks increase the power of a multi-core rig by multi-threading processes

In Skyrim.ini Add/Edit:

[backgroundLoad]
bBackgroundLoadLipFiles=1
bLoadBackgroundFaceGen=1
bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
bBackgroundCellLoads=1
bLoadHelmetsInBackground=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
bUseBackgroundFileLoader=1

[Animation]
bMultiThreadBoneUpdate=1

[HAVOK]
iNumThreads=XX

[General]
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bMultiThreadMovement=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1

[Decals]
bDecalMultithreaded=1

In SkyrimPrefs.ini Add/Edit:

[Navmesh]
bUseThreadedMeshes=1

[Trees]
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
bShadowMaskZPrePass=1

[backgroundLoad]
bBackgroundLoadLipFiles=1
bLoadBackgroundFaceGen=1
bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
bBackgroundCellLoads=1
bLoadHelmetsInBackground=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1

[General]
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedTextures=1
bUseThreadedMeshes=1
bUseThreadedLOD=1
bUseThreadedAI=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1

[Decals]
bDecalMultithreaded=1

For "iNumThreads" ( the XX value above) set this to the number of CPU cores your PC has. If you have 4 or more leave this as 5 (maximum).

(source: Skyrim Tweak Guide 2.2)

Decreasing Script Lag - The scripting language used in Skyrim, Papyrus, is not the speediest of languages. Script queues can become lagged, and even halted, in a game using script-heavy mods. Using this tweak in my game even seemed to fix the lip synch problem that reared its ugly head again in the 1.9 update for Skyrim.

In Skyrim.ini add/edit:

[Papyrus]
fUpdateBudgetMS=800
fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=800
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000
iMinMemoryPageSize=256
iMaxMemoryPageSize=512
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2457600

(Source: Skyrim Script Lag)

Gameplay:

Better Aiming - These tweaks will help improve aim and range with bows and crossbows.

Add/edit in Skyrim.ini:

[Combat]
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0
f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f1PBoltTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PBoltTiltUpAngle=0.7

[Actor]
fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=12288.0000

(Source: Skyrim Archery Tweak)

I have added my own skyrim.ini as well as skyrimprefs.in, enblocal.ini, enbseries.ini and load order to this if anyone is interested. This is for a new game that is going flawlessly, using Ordinator, Legacy of the Dragonborn and MorrowLoot, playing Amorous Adventures.

So, ini tweaks report. Mixed, but overall positive.

On the plus side, this almost completely stopped the last of my combat crashes. One of the few times I was still crashing was in combat, specifically when tons of summoning and buffing was going on, or in battles out doors in storms. With these tweaks, I've had several battles with Hateful Wenches with no crashing, many other fights outdoors, and only one crash in a fight in a mod where waves of enemies are being conjured in.

On the down side, it now takes 24+ seconds for SkyTweak to load, as opposed to the 9 or so seconds it took with my old inis, and my frame rate is a bit lower.

So, it's a qualified success.

sorry mispelled the names, Annekke and Sylgja lines of the quests.   Yanked Mia, Aroused and all the DD mods out (only ones I had that required Aroused to be in there) and tested all the scenes that were crashing and all went fine.   As much as I like MiasLair, guess its out along with any aroused mod or mods that require it.   Still welcome any ideas to make it work, but fine if they have to go.

No that was my experience as well, Aroused even Redux was a killer for my game with all my other mods, and I have to take out too much to be able to ever fit it in.

However can you try again with the ini tweaks just reposted and tested by Old Book? In theory that should increase your stability by a very large amount, because it means more of your processor is working on your scripts and getting them out of their lines faster. Activate papyrus logging as well and post any crashed logs, Fishburger will be interested in it for sure. Make sure to roll back to the save before you removed Aroused etc, because that's one mod that can't be removed from your save, no way at all, start a new game if you need to remove it or roll back to the save before you installed it at all.

On the plus side, this almost completely stopped the last of my combat crashes. One of the few times I was still crashing was in combat, specifically when tons of summoning and buffing was going on, or in battles out doors in storms. With these tweaks, I've had several battles with Hateful Wenches with no crashing, many other fights outdoors, and only one crash in a fight in a mod where waves of enemies are being conjured in.

On the down side, it now takes 24+ seconds for SkyTweak to load, as opposed to the 9 or so seconds it took with my old inis, and my frame rate is a bit lower.

Thanks for testing, but I don't think we can say it's conclusive yet. We need to do more testing over longer time if the save goes well or cripples and dies, and perferably with more people usign them and different load orders. If that all goes well, I'm putting it on the front page.

The SkyTweak thing is odd, because mine is loading faster than before, it used to be maybe 5 or so seconds after loadign the save that SkyTweak had loaded, now it's instantly. Do you have a lot of SkyTweak scripts and changes active? I've been fairly minimal with only changing numerical values like experience rate.

Thanks for testing, but I don't think we can say it's conclusive yet. We need to do more testing over longer time if the save goes well or cripples and dies, and perferably with more people usign them and different load orders. If that all goes well, I'm putting it on the front page.

The SkyTweak thing is odd, because mine is loading faster than before, it used to be maybe 5 or so seconds after loadign the save that SkyTweak had loaded, now it's instantly. Do you have a lot of SkyTweak scripts and changes active? I've been fairly minimal with only changing numerical values like experience rate.

Sky tweak is doing a lot of work, but no more than it was before. I'll look again at the inis and see if anything obvious suggests itself.

ok have some results of putting the tweaks in.

before putting Mia and Aroused back in, Ran FNIS, made cleaner save and loaded up old save and everything worked great.

so put mia and Aroused back in

same thing, Ran Fnis, made another cleaner save and then loaded up old save.

appeared to work ok, but then things went south. 

saved game, and when I came back - continue button CTD.

tried to load save directly - CTD

tried to clean save, nothing for it to clean.

removed all saves and started a new character

played for awhile no issues, saved and came back

same thing, continue button = CTD

tried to load save = CTD

enabled papryus logging and dowloaded notepad++.  how do I get it to save in that format so you guys can take a look at it?  Otherwise you really cant read it.

Last crash was on the kiss me command from my lover (amorous adventures)

ok have some results of putting the tweaks in.

before putting Mia and Aroused back in, Ran FNIS, made cleaner save and loaded up old save and everything worked great.

so put mia and Aroused back in

same thing, Ran Fnis, made another cleaner save and then loaded up old save.

appeared to work ok, but then things went south. 

saved game, and when I came back - continue button CTD.

tried to load save directly - CTD

tried to clean save, nothing for it to clean.

removed all saves and started a new character

played for awhile no issues, saved and came back

same thing, continue button = CTD

tried to load save = CTD

enabled papryus logging and dowloaded notepad++.  how do I get it to save in that format so you guys can take a look at it?  Otherwise you really cant read it.

Last crash was on the kiss me command from my lover (amorous adventures)

It's automatically in a readable format actually, just that normal Notepad can't parse the lines like Notepad++ can.

LordKoz, mad genius behind Immersive, Deadly, and Hateful Wenches, is back again with Forgotten Wenches! Now the Falmer too are supported by their scantily clad fanatic fangirls, and yet another group of high powered eye candy enemies are available to place the Dovahkin in peril!

As with Hateful Wenches, I need to use the lowest spawn and lowest summoning versions of this (available from the MCM), and I've installed the non-HDT version of the Falmer Bikini, but it's a great change up for Falmer encounters.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72104/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D72104%26preview%3D&pUp=1

Thanks for the tip, added the new girls to my game.

Here's a mod a few might be interested in Weapons and Armor Attributes; http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/68849/?

If you played PerMa you might recognize this, every armor has a attribute of some sort, and many low-level armors have been buffed in a way so that you can use that hide armor or iron armor on level 50 without it being a suicide. For example Wolf Armor makes you more charismatic (buffs speech) and it gets stronger depending on your rank in the Companions faction, Dawnguard and Immersive Armors Paladin Armor is holy, it resists the attacks of unholy creatures like undead and daedra better, and the Blessings are stronger and last longer while you are wearing them. Dawnguard Armor + Amulet of Talos + Blessing of Talos results in around +50 % recovery speed on your shouts together, Dragonbone armor resists fire and ice and buffs shouts likewise, Steel Plate ("Knight") armor is buffed by your Speech skill, Daedric armor buffs your conjuration skill during night, etc. It also provides buffs for wearing clothing, as well as for not wearing anything, like go without a helmet and you have higher critical chance, faster stamina gain and a shout bonus. Weapons are likewise buffed, with some material weapons being better in some situaitons, Ebony being good to hold fire enchantments for example. Races are likewise buffed, and if you have Disparity (which buffs races much the same) it has a MCM menu that lets you shut off it's racial buff to use Disparity's instead, just like Disparity has if you're using Imperious (though I'm using the Imperious-Disparity merge patch by Enai). The mod is highly customizable in this fashion. It is also highly compatible as it uses the WAFR keywords and assigns magic effects dependign on these instead of editing the armor, so if you have a Dawnguard tagged armor from a mod not touched by this mod, that becomes holy armor. There are numerous compatibilty patches that actually add keywords to armors that didn't have them, I use them for all the armors I have then I merged all but the main file into one plugin using the merge script.

If you want to use it you might also consider using Vigor, a combat and stamina overhaul by the same modder and compatible with every Perk overhaul (as is the last one, even the smithing perks modification is), Combat Evolved, Ultimate Combat, Action Combat or any other combat mod, but not ApolloDown's bugged Movement and Stamina Overhaul (which this mod was based around and fixes). Note however that it will change your game and the feel of your combat A LOT, and because it's active all the time whenever you move or fight it will result in some script strain, though I didn't notice it on my system (probably due to no Aroused). http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/67043/?

The author also has a undead and werewolves focused mod that buffs these and undead a lot, makes undead mostly immune to normal weapons so that silver weapons and thigns like Dawnbreaker are what you should use against them, and buffs the Dawnguard faction. However I took it out pretty fast, it didn't seem to properly work, possibly due to the numerous mods I use. If you make it work let me know. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/66882/?

The author of the falmer armor mentioned dwemer as the next one he'll do. Other than that no, but there is ELLE the Sexbot, Skyrimll might allow him to use that, but make sure you only tell Lord Koz (who's a LL member, he uses mods like Radiant Prostitution which Immersive Wenches is specially set up for in various ways so that it'll always be a wench as a random prostitute, and some wenches are excluded from being prostitues regardless of what they are wearing) only in a PM if you tell him on Nexus, linking directly to a sexlab mod in public can get you instantly banned depending on which Nexus moderator you're dealing with.

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/1061-sexlab-stories-2015-10-10/

Quick question, have you ever looked into Neovalen's Skyrim Revisited guide by any chance? Here is a link:

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition/Conflict_Resolution#Cell

Reasons why I am asking is because I've been reading thoroughly about his SR Conflict Resolution.esp guide and how to fix conflicts with mods that interfere with Cell, world, dialoguefollower, etc. and its really... well.... A LONG FREAKING PROCESS! I just want to know did you ever had to manually go in Tes5edit to override your conflicts with any mods? I've been at it for two days trying to narrow down the conflicts in my load order, but I am getting tired just manually overriding my mods and putting it into one .esp file.... Thank you so much if you respond m8 :3 And advance apologies if I am not making any sense right now.... It's late where I am at

ok based on what I can tell in this seems there is a FNIS issue, or conflict with latest XPMSE skeleton Groovtoma put out last week.   Also cant figure out what some of the errors up front are and how to get rid of them.   Maybe delete the whole thing and start over, have every file saved on a disks so would probably be faster then trying to fix this...warning this log is vary long.Papyrus.0.log

ok based on what I can tell in this seems there is a FNIS issue, or conflict with latest XPMSE skeleton Groovtoma put out last week.   Also cant figure out what some of the errors up front are and how to get rid of them.   Maybe delete the whole thing and start over, have every file saved on a disks so would probably be faster then trying to fix this...warning this log is vary long.attachicon.gifPapyrus.0.log

Post that log over on Groovatama's thread please. I really have no idea what all those messages at the end refer to, I'm not that familiar with this skeleton, I just updated to point 2+ just a week ago and havent' had the need to look at and figure out my own Papyrus.

Quick question, have you ever looked into Neovalen's Skyrim Revisited guide by any chance? Here is a link:

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition/Conflict_Resolution#Cell

Reasons why I am asking is because I've been reading thoroughly about his SR Conflict Resolution.esp guide and how to fix conflicts with mods that interfere with Cell, world, dialoguefollower, etc. and its really... well.... A LONG FREAKING PROCESS! I just want to know did you ever had to manually go in Tes5edit to override your conflicts with any mods? I've been at it for two days trying to narrow down the conflicts in my load order, but I am getting tired just manually overriding my mods and putting it into one .esp file.... Thank you so much if you respond m8 :3 And advance apologies if I am not making any sense right now.... It's late where I am at

I have not looked at that guide (as of now as well, it's like 8 AM here as well and I havent' slept yet), but yes I have done that. In fact I usually do that every time I put in a big new mod, opening it up and see what it changes and what it needs to overwrite and what it can't be allowed to overwrite or it'll stop something else from working. If I don't have to, it's because someone else already did that via the merge patches you download. The TES5Edit patch that I recommend has you doing a lot of that, but the benefits of that patch is that it highlights all the errors in your load order beyond what even LOOT is able to (I've stopped using LOOT almost entirely by now), at which point you can then fix them manually. If something goes wrong then in-game you will be a lot more likely to know exactly where it went wrong because you'll know the insides of your game much better.

Anybody mind helping me? Skyrim crashes quite often and when I look at the log, it mostly has things referred to logging NPC's but nothing to give me an true cause to the problem, often crashes during sexual events but known to do it when ever it wants.

attachicon.gifPapyrus.0.log

attachicon.gifloadorder.txt

Load order determined by LOOT.

You didn't give enough information to figure that out. What is your system like, do you run an ENB and what is your ENBoost set to, what do you have in your SKSE.ini? IF these two are not set up properly that's 90 % of your crashes there.

You didn't have any mods I'd call dangerous, and the only thing your Papyrus complained about was that nearby actors were getting aroused from seeing you have sex. If you crashed during this, it was probably either an SKSE/Script or ENB/Graphics related crash as you ran out of memory.

Anybody mind helping me? Skyrim crashes quite often and when I look at the log, it mostly has things referred to logging NPC's but nothing to give me an true cause to the problem, often crashes during sexual events but known to do it when ever it wants.

You didn't give enough information to figure that out. What is your system like, do you run an ENB and what is your ENBoost set to, what do you have in your SKSE.ini? IF these two are not set up properly that's 90 % of your crashes there.

You didn't have any mods I'd call dangerous, and the only thing your Papyrus complained about was that nearby actors were getting aroused from seeing you have sex. If you crashed during this, it was probably either an SKSE/Script or ENB/Graphics related crash as you ran out of memory.

Sorry about that, I have an Geforce Nivdia 960 GTX 4G Vram along with 8GB of memory and an 8 core cpu. I just looked into my root directory and found I had no SKSE.ini installed,and I just upgraded my ENB CTD and Memory patch with v0.290, hopefully this works I'll let you know if this fixes the issue. 

Sorry about that, I have an Geforce Nivdia 960 GTX 4G Vram along with 8GB of memory and an 8 core cpu. I just looked into my root directory and found I had no SKSE.ini installed,and I just upgraded my ENB CTD and Memory patch with v0.290, hopefully this works I'll let you know if this fixes the issue. 

It crashed again when my character was going in to the cell to be used by an falmer in slaverun reloaded, I don't think it is slaverun it's self at all though. Papyrus.0.log

Uninstall that ancient thing please and install a proper ENB, like RealVision, anything that uses the new ENBSeries, you can choose performance ENBs if you wish. When you have installed it open ENBLocal ini and change VideoMemorySizeMb under [Memory] to 8000 (4 VRAM + 8 RAM - 4 GB for what Windows and Skyrim needs to run). In the process you will probably want to remove both Imaginator and Dynavision, these are strictly speaking only meant for setups that can't handle ENBs, which you certainly can. A new ENB using the latest ENBoost and  ENBHost will provide you with MASSIVE amounts of stability.

Then open Data/SKSE, create a new file with Notepad called SKSE.ini, input the following;

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

EnableDiagnostics=1

[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=2048

[Memory]

defaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024

scrapHeapSizeMB=384

Then try whatever was crashing you again after you have done these two things.

Also in the future please actually read the first page of this thread which would have solved this for you.

I have a question, When given a choice should I install mods in loose format or bsa format. Does it matter?

If you have very few mods (I'm talking around 10-20) use a BSA when possible, it will improve performance. If you have more than that you will usually get better performance from loose files, and also loose files will let you easier see exactly what it is you are installing, and let you change individual files if you want some other mod to win a conflict for one outfit for example but not for another in the same mod.

If you use a HDD instead of an SSD you might get better performance from a BSA as well. If you are using Mod Organizer you can also edit BSAs as if they were loose files and replace individual files as well as manage the archive with Mod Organizer in some cases, meaning you don't need a ESP.