Moving Mods to other PC

Kitty-Ears

Hello again everyone =3

I am planning on using Mod Organizer for my Skyrim mods. I have two PC's though and was wondering if there is a simple way to move all my mods to my other PC ones I get everything how I want?

Any suggestions are appreciated. I tried searching the Topic and just could not find anything.

Thanks! =D

Get an external memory source large enough to fit your Skyrim install, copy it over, then copy it to your other computer.

That should pretty much be it, unless you're missing some other programs (DirectX etc), in which case you'll have to install those too. You can also move your saves in similar fashion.

There's other ways (uploading your mods in a highly compressed format, for example), if you care to use them.

Get an external memory source large enough to fit your Skyrim install, copy it over, then copy it to your other computer.

That should pretty much be it, unless you're missing some other programs (DirectX etc), in which case you'll have to install those too. You can also move your saves in similar fashion.

There's other ways (uploading your mods in a highly compressed format, for example), if you care to use them.

Oh is it really that simple? Since the Mod organizer resides in the Skyrim folder?

So let me make sure I understand.

Steam>steamaps>common>Skyrim

Copy that folder?

Or do I have to install Skyrim on the other computer first?

What Vaelorian described was just a way to copy skyrim from one computer to another. If you weren't using MO before it's not that simple.

The only advice I can give if you want to get a good MO install is to start from scratch. That is install a fresh copy of Skyrim and then use MO to install all the mods you want. Maybe it's a good moment have a look at what mod you use and what you can dump or install later.

If you intend to keep everything "in sync" between the two computers, and they're networked, you can share the data and manager (fomm, nmm, MO, whatever) directories on both and then use something like windows SyncToy or even rsync to keep them both in the same state. If they're not networked you can do the same thing with a thumbdrive.

I do this with a thumbdrive to keep my important data synced between my laptop and desktop with synctoy. It's slow the first time you run it with a lot of data, but from then on, it's pretty fast since it's only copying things that have been added or modified.

If you're switching to MO for the first time you want to have a fresh completely un-modded skyrim install to use with it(except stuff like cleaned official masters, and ENBs). Unless you have some custom stuff you made or mods no longer available it's probably easier to re-download everything, that way you get everything updated and don't install anything you no longer want/need.

MO is worth it if you want to do any real skyrim modding. It took a lot of work when I switched from NMM, but it was totally worth it.

If the destination PC has room for another HDD, you can just take the HDD out of the old PC to transfer data to the new one.

Since I don't use MO I can't really tell, but if there is a Folder where the MO stores the Mods, like NMM does, you could just copy that.

That's not how MO works, and also it won't work right with any of them (FOMM, NMM, MO). Copying those directories to another machine without also copying the games data directory will put the two out of sync. The MM will think mods are installed that are not.

Since I don't use MO I can't really tell, but if there is a Folder where the MO stores the Mods, like NMM does, you could just copy that.

That's not how MO works, and also it won't work right with any of them (FOMM, NMM, MO). Copying those directories to another machine without also copying the games data directory will put the two out of sync. The MM will think mods are installed that are not.

As I'm taking a look into that folder, I clearly see the whole mod package in there, in it's full size. If I take that out and put it on my external HDD for example, you have the sole package of the mod. 

It's my fault that I said to take the whole folder, while I meant the normal mod is stored in there, too. And I already had to reinstall the game and NMM, put the mods from the former folder in there and first it thought it was installed, but since the mod package is there, I could easily reinstall.

But yes, what worked for me needn't to work for anyone else, though.

No I did not move or switch to MO, I am actually just starting Skyrim Modding. I have never even played it on PC before. I want to be able to put my Modded Skyrim on my desktop once im done adding all my mods.

So a fresh Install would not make sense, i have only used Mod Organizer.

No I did not move or switch to MO, I am actually just starting Skyrim Modding. I have never even played it on PC before. I want to be able to put my Modded Skyrim on my desktop once im done adding all my mods.

So a fresh Install would not make sense, i have only used Mod Organizer.

Put it on your desktop? 

Just make a shortcut.

Or do you want to have your whole folder there?

Archived