ini settings (that work) or mods to increase FPS?

Guest Vendayn

Guest Vendayn

I got tropical skyrim and compared to winter skyrim, it dropped my FPS by 20 points. I get 20-25 FPS on average, and winter skyrim I got 35-40 fps on average.

However, I don't like winter skyrim at all...it was bland. I don't like snow at all in games. My real life friend also has very sensitive/bad eyes and snow really hurts his eyes. And my eyes are kinda the same, and in games my eyes hurt a lot in the snow. Even vanilla skyrim with no enb (or with enb) snow really hurts my eyes on any brightness setting or even low bloom levels. And since I'm giving him my mod, he didn't want snow at all...so I got tropical skyrim to remove all the snow for us. Our eyes are both really bad.

However, my system really struggles in tropical skyrim. And I didn't really like summer edition, since it looked like I was playing oblivion. Plus tropical looks vastly better.

My native res is 1920x1080, and dropping it to 1680x1050 didn't increase FPS at all either. Dropping it to even lower resolution, my FPS still remains the same. I can play at 800x600 and my FPS is still 20-25.

Lowering shadow resolution didn't increase FPS at all (not even by 1 point)

Changing any of the graphics settings, my FPS remains exactly the same...I can play on the lowest settings and my fps is still 20-25 on average.

Min grass size is at 20, for tropical skyrim do you suggest raising it for less grass? Cause I did notice I get TONS of grass. That doesn't help. Any setting you guys recommend? Raising it to 70 takes too much away and I don't see any alchemy plants, but increases my fps a lot (I get 30-35 FPS with grass size at 70).

I use SKSE memory patch (it works, I downloaded a pre-compiled steam_loader and did it that way) and ENB boost (definitely works)...no fps increase, but a much stable game. I don't use HiAlgo as I didn't like it, and it only increased my fps by 2-3 or not at all...didn't seem to make a difference and it was very jittery and stuttered a lot when turning. It made my game worse.

Anything you guys recommend? Remember if you skipped it, lowering graphics doesn't matter...on the lowest settings possible, I get the same FPS (20-25).

My system (I don't have money to upgrade)-

i5 3.3 Ghz CPU (it is a really old one, probably 6-7 years old...it was one of the first to come out and it was a crappy no-name brand with intel sticker stuck onto it. Don't say its a good one, because I found it in amazon once for 20 dollars and a tech guy I talked to on another forum said "wow you got the only one that was crappy...guess you are right, that one really does suck)...I can't find it again though. CPU probably bottlenecks a lot. When I upgraded from a geforce 260GTX 868 (or whatever it was) card to my current one, my FPS didn't increase at all in Skyrim)

Geforce 660GTX 2GB (I really need a 4gb card)

no SSD drive

8gb DDR3 ram

Windows 7 64bit

I could try summer edition (I greatly dislike that one though, toooo oblivion like...I'd rather play tropical skyrim or nothing at all), but the LOD made it look really ugly. For some reason, LOD looks VERY ugly in my game and all my ini settings for LOD are vanilla. Any tweaks in ini to fix the ugly ass LOD I get? Cause with summer edition, the LOD looks so horrible. Even tropical it isn't that great.

Guest Vendayn

I probably just need to upgrade my PC, but I don't have money for that at all. My income is VERY low every month (I'm on disability) and I couldn't even pay rent (let alone bills) in California in the cheapest apartment available. I don't even have money to upgrade my PC even if I didn't help parents pay rent/bills. I get 600 a month (like I said, cheapest apartment in california is unaffordable, dunno how they expect people on disability to live on their own guess we're not supposed to), that isn't even enough to get a new PC with let alone anything else I use the money for.

So upgrading my PC is out of the question. And I don't want to use winter skyrim cause that hurts my eyes a lot. And summer edition is too oblivion and I don't like vanilla skyrim because it also hurts my eyes a lot. Kind of picky I know...but tropical skyrim looks good and doesn't hurt my eyes. Is there anyway at all to make it work? I think only solution is to change mingrassize to 70 or something else...but I lose all the alchemy plants at that setting (they don't show up at all). Since that setting gives a huge boost in FPS and is only setting that actually increases my FPS that I've tried.

Problem with Tropical Skyrim is probably the huge amount of vegetation. Maybe there's a version with less of that?

Otherwise you might want to check various guides like S.T.E.P. or Skyrim Stability Guide / Skyrim Graphics Guide by FireFreak111.

Latter is probably more about how to tweak the settings in order to get better visuals without making the game unstable, but likely worth reading either way.

Guest Vendayn

Problem with Tropical Skyrim is probably the huge amount of vegetation. Maybe there's a version with less of that?

Otherwise you might want to check various guides like S.T.E.P. or Skyrim Stability Guide / Skyrim Graphics Guide by FireFreak111.

Latter is probably more about how to tweak the settings in order to get better visuals without making the game unstable, but likely worth reading either way.

Yeah, that is the main problem. Winter has almost no vegetation, but tropical is...well...like walking into a rainforest filled with plants. That is why iMinGrassSize set to 70 increases my FPS by a huge amount. But, I lose the alchemy plants.

BTW, I'm using

http://aceeqmodding.weebly.com/tropical-edition.html

Not the old abandoned one from long ago on Nexus. Though both his and the older one do look awfully similar (he said he custom made his though, so guess I'll just go by his word). I was using his Winter edition, but it hurt my eyes a lot. And the Summer one I didn't like. Plus the LOD was so horrible in the Summer one for some reason.

But his tropical includes so much vegetation. His Summer was okay in FPS when I lowered grass density, but I wouldn't want to use it. And I don't think I'd want to spend many hours editing all his vegetation all out (unless there is a quick/easy method to doing that). I don't feel like spending days and weeks in the CK figuring that out though.

But thanks for those two guides. It did look like I had some settings that make things worse, dunno how they snuck in there...must have been from a while ago and I forgot to remove them.

(edit: I changed grass size to 80, made sure ENB was off (it kept being turned on in-game (I made enbeffects turned off) but somehow had 2 copies of enbseries and enblocal...dunno how that happened...deleted the extra 2. And on average I get 40-50 with even up to 55 in exteriors, except at grass size 70, it still dropped to 28 on the bridge looking into riverwood (the most intensive area for me, with windhelm looking at the docks being a close 2nd). There is a lot of plants in that area and Windhelm tends to be pretty intensive as it is

I think once I get to Windhelm and the game is fine, I think my FPS is pretty much fixed. Hope it plays well, or otherwise I dunno what else I can do. Maybe get desperate and try HiAlgo again lol...)

(second edit: Riverwood in that one area gets 30 FPS now with occasional dips to 28, instead of 28 with dips to 24/25. Most of Riverwood is past 40, its just that one area on the bridge. So upping size by 10 made a few FPS difference. I'll slowly make my way toward Windhelm to Riften (my usual route) and see how it goes.)

Guest Vendayn

Yeah, its a bit confusing lol.

I ended up going back to Winter skyrim, because tropical skyrim crashed my game too much and added too many things. I got a different ENB (grim and somber), edited the bloom to be a lot darker in both day and night and the snow isn't nearly so bright and blurry. It helps my eyes a lot...sadly I have to use ENB with it and it takes out 20 FPS on my system...but I can't play winter skyrim without it. Good news is winter skyrim gives me a ton of FPS compared to tropical skyrim. It gives me more FPS than vanilla skyrim too (if I was using ENB) (I get 30-40 FPS average in exteriors, with occasional drops to 28). Without ENB, I'd probably actually get 50-60 FPS...too bad snow in Skyrim is so bright and hurts my eyes so much without ENB.

You can try a texture optimizer. That helps me weak ass laptop a lot. Hialgo Boost helps me a lot as well. And if you used I Can't Believe it's NOT an ENB (and it's suggested mods along with Dynavision) you can get your game to look very much like you're using an ENB and not get a performance hit (hardly any performance change actually).

Guest Vendayn

You can try a texture optimizer. That helps me weak ass laptop a lot. Hialgo Boost helps me a lot as well. And if you used I Can't Believe it's NOT an ENB (and it's suggested mods along with Dynavision) you can get your game to look very much like you're using an ENB and not get a performance hit (hardly any performance change actually).

Does the texture optimizer still work good on a newer Skyrim? It was made a long time back. I saw it before, but I tend to avoid 99% of mods made in 2012. That and some comments said it made their game worse. I dunno, I don't think I want to risk my Skyrim setup on it that I worked hundreds of hours on lol. Plus it doesn't seem anyone recommends it anymore.

I might try Hialgo Boost again, it does seem to work well...I might just need to get used to the turning blur that happens, it tended to hurt my eyes after a little while. I may just have to get used to it, but I'll wait till my new glasses come in (my current ones are literally melded together cause the middle piece broke and they don't work as good now xD)

Does the texture optimizer still work good on a newer Skyrim? It was made a long time back. I saw it before, but I tend to avoid 99% of mods made in 2012. That and some comments said it made their game worse. I dunno, I don't think I want to risk my Skyrim setup on it that I worked hundreds of hours on lol. Plus it doesn't seem anyone recommends it anymore.

I might try Hialgo Boost again, it does seem to work well...I might just need to get used to the turning blur that happens, it tended to hurt my eyes after a little while. I may just have to get used to it, but I'll wait till my new glasses come in (my current ones are literally melded together cause the middle piece broke and they don't work as good now xD)

Texture optimizer is not a mod. It compresses textures better and if you want, lower their resolution to a normal size. I used it on my 600 mod load order without touching skin textures or parallax textures(you shouldn't optimize these) resized textures to first 2048 then 1024 and I got 20fps increase. I'm using K-ENB Pure Light, and it's so good to look at and I play it at ~50 fps with 2560x1440 resolution.

Well these settings have helped a bit for me but dont expect miracles

In your enblocal.ini and or change the following:

[MEMORY]

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true

ReservedMemorySizeMb=2000

VideoMemorySizeMb=2000

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true

SKSE.ini

[General] 
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Skyrim.ini
[Papyrus]
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2147483647

[MEMORY]

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true

ReservedMemorySizeMb=2000

VideoMemorySizeMb=2000

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true

SKSE.ini

[General] 
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Skyrim.ini
[Papyrus]
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2147483647

Do NOT set "iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2147483647". It's not needed at all and will only fill up your memory. It's one of those tweaks people keep posting but it actually makes your stability worse.

ReservedMemorySizeMb of 2000 is too high for most uses. Put it to around 512.

Yes, it works just fine (also makes mipmaps that help increase performance as well). And it makes a backup file that you can revert to with a click if it doesn't work as intended. No risk to try it that way.

Guest Vendayn

Texture optimizer is not a mod. It compresses textures better and if you want, lower their resolution to a normal size. I used it on my 600 mod load order without touching skin textures or parallax textures(you shouldn't optimize these) resized textures to first 2048 then 1024 and I got 20fps increase. I'm using K-ENB Pure Light, and it's so good to look at and I play it at ~50 fps with 2560x1440 resolution.

Does it automatically skip skin textures+parralax? Or should I move those out of the folder?

There are options involved. Say, for example, you're using Mod Organizer you can just point it at the Skyrim folder and it will only optimize those textures and not what is installed in MO. That's what I do. So the vast majority of textures, those that are most likely to impeded performance, are taken care of.

Guest Vendayn

This is the one I've been using. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801/?It also works for Oblivion and Fallout.

There is at least one newer program that is very similar that I haven't used, though.

I made a backup of the actors folder. And hey! I didn't need to copy it back over. The program fixed my character's neckseam somehow :P Dunno how since it isn't meant for that, but I don't have one anymore.

As for FPS. I got a 5-15 FPS increase. Lowest is still Riverwood (dunno why, there is barely any plants or anything, must be an intensive area by default. Even vanilla it kinda dropped around there), but it got a 5 fps increase there from 28 average to 32/33 average. Every else saw a lot bigger increase (even windhelm saw 10+ fps on average).

My stability increased a lot too I noticed and my save file size has slowly gone down too, however I noticed more stuttering than I used to get...but it only happens when turning, and HiAlgo probably fixes that anyway.

[MEMORY]

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true Turn this to FALSE if you're using SKSE 1.7.1 to prevent unexpected CTDs.

ReservedMemorySizeMb=2000 NO it should be 64 to 128mb of reserved memory (1gb = 128-256mb, 2gb or more = 64mb)

VideoMemorySizeMb=2000 NO it should be the amount of VRAM you're using minus 128mb which should be reserved for Windows

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true turn this to FALSE if you already specified VRAM size.

SKSE.ini

[General] 
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768 Good
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256 Good

Skyrim.ini
[Papyrus]
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2147483647 NO YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG

Because I read these and had better gameplay:

http://forum.step-project.com/topic/4985-memory-blocks-log-by-sheson/

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/2gwvwl/guide_papyrus_ini_settings_and_why_you_shouldnt/

Archived