Star Wars - Episode 7: The Force Awakens (trailer)

Emberheart

It's finally out. The REAL trailer.

For the fans amongst us, it looks good

from what we can tell. STAR WARS - The Force

Awakens is made by J.J. ABRAMS, previously known for

making the STAR TREK REBOOT and takes place about 30 years

after Return of the Jedi. The movie features the original cast of MARK

HAMILL (Luke Skywalker), CARRIE FISHER (Leia Organa) and HARRISON FORD

(Han Solo). Other original stars who played CHEWBACCA, WARWICK the EWOK, C3PO,

R2-D2 and many more will also return in the movie - The Force Awakens is a new story, which

ignores all of the novels, games and comics created in the wake of the original trilogy by various writers

Also, for a change there's no lens flare in a J.J. ABRAMS movie, a fact for which I'm really glad  - Thank the force!

Star+Wars+Edit.jpg

D E C E M B E R . . . . . 2 0 1 5

I was so into star wars as a kid. Then I grew up, Lucas made a new shitty trilogy and slaughtered the previous one, I lost interest. I'm not really hyped, but at least it can't be worse.

I mostly look forward more to this than the trilogy because this won't touch or try to re-explain the original trilogy, like the prequel trilogy did. I always imagined the Jedi to be rare, a handful, a circle of 10 or so do-gooders who were betrayed by a young new member with great potential. Instead we got Jedi armies.

Hehn.  Properly buzzed by that, but then TPM trailer looked awesome at the time.

Hope it's not generic-action-film-with-recognisable-brand-stamp like the ST films though.

SW films may never live up to X-Wing, TIE-Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcast PC games though.  I'm told KOTOR is also excellent.

If that shaky-cam Falcon shot is anything to go by then they need to get someone else in to direct any spaceship bits though, there are a number of shots in the Battle Of Endor (space section) that really show the Right Way To Do It.

I loved the Old trilogy to death, and I thought that the new trilogy was good, bad acting notwithstanding.

But now that Disney gutted the best parts of the Star Wars Universe, I have no hope.

This trailer shows nothing except a Bullshit lightsaber that according to most lightsaber forms from the EU would not be possible.

I loved the Old trilogy to death, and I thought that the new trilogy was good, bad acting notwithstanding.

But now that Disney gutted the best parts of the Star Wars Universe, I have no hope.

This trailer shows nothing except a Bullshit lightsaber that according to most lightsaber forms from the EU would not be possible.

Yeah, that sabre looks like someone thought "hmm, Darth Maul's staff was brilliant, what now?  Let's brainstorm!" and then didn't quality control the ideas that came up.  Presumably all the sabre-spinning from Ep1-3 will also be +1'd and surely those prongs would make it as dangerous to the wielder as to anyone else when doing that. 

AND sabres lock when clashing so you don't need guards like on straight-edged metal swords.  Makesnosense.

Ep1-3 bad acting apart from Hayden Christiansen's wanking scene, that looked convincing, if a little lethargic.  Hehn, won't find that scene on YT, at least not with that tag.

Yeah, that sabre looks like someone thought "hmm, Darth Maul's staff was brilliant, what now?  Let's brainstorm!" and then didn't quality control the ideas that came up.  Presumably all the sabre-spinning from Ep1-3 will also be +1'd and surely those prongs would make it as dangerous to the wielder as to anyone else when doing that. 

AND sabres lock when clashing so you don't need guards like on straight-edged metal swords.  Makesnosense.

Ep1-3 bad acting apart from Hayden Christiansen's wanking scene, that looked convincing, if a little lethargic.  Hehn, won't find that scene on YT, at least not with that tag.

Atleast they're not sabers with curved blades. Curved... blades.

Yeah..I don't get why are people getting so mad about that sith lightsaber..when there's really nothing new about it. The crossguard was already used in the expanded univerese(^^yup, that's the one, Squall)...and the flame-y saber beam as well...aka unstable focus crystal from The Force Unleashed games. ..I've seen Jedi and Sith running around in SWTOR with similar blade effect as well.

Uncompressed_Red_Lightsaber_Starkiller_U

Because it's stupid, that's why.

Just because it was in the expanded universe didn't mean it was good, in fact I'd say with some exceptions (KOTOR I/II I'm looking at you!) 80% of the rest is garbage. 

It actually has a metal part between the grip and the extended light beam to either side, which unless is made out of cortosis, a lightsaber would just cut through anyway, making it a pretty ill-devised crossguard. If it is out of cortosis (and lightsaber proof) then why not just make the whole crossguard out of that then? It's like the worst of both worlds. And unlike Darth Maul's double bladed lightsaber in EP I, it doesn't look cool, it looks silly.

I think the problem with the lightsaber is that it is the epitome of simplicity and elegance. You can't really add to it's design without making it either bulky or silly looking, with only some very very minor exceptions. 

What I really didn't like about the trailer though, is that I don't see anything new. Is it just going to be IV-VI rehashed? Empire, tie fighters, millennium falcon, rebels et all? No new ideas, nothing new to contribute? 

If that's it then we're not off to a good start. 

I'm glad to see the guy from Attack the Block is in there, especially since he might be the lead role apparently. That movie kicked ass and he was great in it. As for the lightsaber broadsword thing, there are some...issues with that...

But it's still a mild step up from the original design. I almost felt somehow offended that I've had so many ideas for awesome and more practical lightsaber designs, and THIS is the first change they make to it, this one minor thing that doesn't really serve any purpose other than looking slightly cooler. Well, it's the first change they made unless you count the double-sided lightsaber, but that thing is just a mess and I'd rather forget it exists.

• 4 months later...

Trailer 2 is out, in case people didn't saw it :)

I can't say how many times I watched that trailer since it came out. It still gives me goose bumps. And the line "We are home" almost tears me up every time :lol:

After the prequels I thought I would never again be hyped for a Star Wars movie, but if the movie keeps what the trailer promises, I will sit in the cinema and bawl my eyes out :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived