Esp Mod File Extraction

Guest Jenova23

Guest Jenova23

Is there any tool that extracts all the files you need from a esp without you mainly having to extract each file I have way to many files to extract each one by one.

Guest Jenova23

You mean a BSA?  Esps don't extract.  They're data files.

If you mean BSA, then Mod Organizer has this built in and there are several third-party apps that can do it.  Just google a "BSA extractor"

No I don't mean BSA, but if I can make a BSA that would be fine to... I have tons of files in my mod that I want to extract, but every BSA program that I know of you have to extract the files manually at some point, I have never found any program that does this. This is one of the reasons I have never uploaded my NPC overhaul mod, it's just to big.

Guest Jenova23

No I don't want to unpack a BSA... I want to make one or just extract all the files from my esp. The reason behind it being ever since Skyrim came out, I have been working on a mod that completely overhauls almost every single npc, armor, skin, pretty much everything related to NPC'S there are just way to many files to have to go through it one by one, and I don't want to have to copy and past each one into a folder, on top of that I have a lot of files I don't need, so I want to clean up my game, what I don't understand is why no has created a program that allows this, I have tried to uploaded my mod before it's called VFNO (Voluptuous Female Npc Overhaul). I have had problems before trying uploading it usually do to missing files, ever since then it's has changed drastically, but I still want to upload the mod one day.

For BSAs, there's BSAopt. There's no extractor that works as if it's 7zip or Winrar.

Otherwise TES5edit has an included script that allows you to determine what resources an .ESP uses -- it's called "Asset Browser".

That would be a useful tool to use after, in order to check which files are missing, but that's not what I need at the moment.

No I don't want to unpack a BSA... I want to make one or just extract all the files from my esp. The reason behind it being ever since Skyrim came out, I have been working on a mod that completely overhauls almost every single npc, armor, skin, pretty much everything related to NPC'S there are just way to many files to have to go through it one by one, and I don't want to have to copy and past each one into a folder, on top of that I have a lot of files I don't need, so I want to clean up my game, what I don't understand is why no has created a program that allows this, I have tried to uploaded my mod before it's called VFNO (Voluptuous Female Npc Overhaul). I have had problems before trying uploading it usually do to missing files, ever since then it's has changed drastically, but I still want to upload the mod one day.

For BSAs, there's BSAopt. There's no extractor that works as if it's 7zip or Winrar.

Otherwise TES5edit has an included script that allows you to determine what resources an .ESP uses -- it's called "Asset Browser".

That would be a useful tool to use after, in order to check which files are missing, but that's not what I need at the moment.

If you want to make a bsa then use the Archive option in the CK, it will put all the files that go with the esp into one.

If you want to make a bsa then use the Archive option in the CK, it will put all the files that go with the esp into one.

This can include scripts of other frameworks (like JContainers, SKSE) as well, which is a bad thing.

So either check and if needed clean the BSA of such files afterwards or build the BSA manually.

• 3 months later...
Guest Jenova23

This can include scripts of other frameworks (like JContainers, SKSE) as well, which is a bad thing.

So either check and if needed clean the BSA of such files afterwards or build the BSA manually.

The problem is you have to drag and drop every single file... I have so many files I lost count, I don't want to have to do it manually... This is a massive overhaul, I am surprised that no one has created a tool for this. I have a massive mod that I have been working on since Skyrim came out and I was hoping for a easier solution, which probably does not exist, either or I am double checking.

Mod using Mod Organizer and simply always move all files that your mod uses (from the overwrite or data folder) into it's own mod folder.
From there you can create a BSA (using BSAopt or similar) with only those files, that belong to your mod only.

Guest Jenova23

Mod using Mod Organizer and simply always move all files that your mod uses (from the overwrite or data folder) into it's own mod folder.

From there you can create a BSA (using BSAopt or similar) with only those files, that belong to your mod only.

Will this program sort out all the files for me or do I have to do it manually? This is a mod I made myself.

Erm... MO is a mod manager. You're aware of this, right?

New files (mostly new scripts files from the CK [source and compiled] and new plugins) will go into MOs overwrite folder, which should always be empty before starting to mod, as this way you can easily distinguish which files belong to your mod. From there you can simply move those files into a new mod or an already existing mod.

if you never used MO or heard of it, then this will/may sound cryptic. So you should read MOs description carefully.

Alternative solutions, by creating your own program:
1. A prog that creates a snapshot of the contents of your games data folder, which it can use to find new and/or changed files, so it can move/copy them somewhere.
2. A prog that checks for files within a specified "last changed" time frame and that allows to copy/move found files.

Solution #1 would be my choice, but since i moved to MO i got no need to create a prog like this.

Guest Jenova23

Erm... MO is a mod manager. You're aware of this, right?

New files (mostly new scripts files from the CK [source and compiled] and new plugins) will go into MOs overwrite folder, which should always be empty before starting to mod, as this way you can easily distinguish which files belong to your mod. From there you can simply move those files into a new mod or an already existing mod.

if you never used MO or heard of it, then this will/may sound cryptic. So you should read MOs description carefully.

Alternative solutions, by creating your own program:

1. A prog that creates a snapshot of the contents of your games data folder, which it can use to find new and/or changed files, so it can move/copy them somewhere.

2. A prog that checks for files within a specified "last changed" time frame and that allows to copy/move found files.

Solution #1 would be my choice, but since i moved to MO i got no need to create a prog like this.

I have never used mod manager before and  I also have no clue how to program whatsoever. I am specifically looking for a tool that will extract all the files from my mod, that way I can create a BSA or data folder. I do not want to move the files manually into a folder, nor do I need to know which files belong to my mod, if I had to resort to that I would just use Archive.exe. That's all I need, I am talking about thousands of files...

I have been adding content to my mod ever since Skyrim came out, I was just hoping for a easier solution.. As for Mod Manager I have already tried it, that works only with mods that you can install. My mod is not compatible with mod manager since it's not compiled or in the proper format and at that point I do not need it. I have been trying to find the proper tutorial for that of which you are talking about, but with no luck if I might add.

in this case, you should know which files do NOT belong to your mod, as you used them from other mods.
Then you can simply use Archive.EXE to create the BSA, then use BSAopt to extract it into a seperate folder, remove all files that came from other mods or SKSE/SKSE plugins and then repack it using BSAopt.

TESSnip (or w/e it was called) was never properly ported from TESIV to TESV and i'm not aware of any tool that was released, that offers such functionality.

And i don't know what to make out of your statement about modding using MO.
i mod using MO, Heromaster does and so do many others.

it's not a sole user program, so i don't see how you came to such a conclusion.

But if MO is not your cup of tea, then leave it alone. You got the freedom to choose w/e you like.

I am specifically looking for a tool that will extract all the files from my mod, that way I can create a BSA or data folder. I do not want to move the files manually into a folder, nor do I need to know which files belong to my mod, if I had to resort to that I would just use Archive.exe. That's all I need, I am talking about thousands of files..

this doesn't exist

that texture look nice, this one too, you try them all and the result is that

5qpQfdP.jpg

those textures aren't in the esp, they are in the nif

you should know that if you add thousands of files

to clean that mess, you have to open the nif, copy paste the mess into a new folder, and put back the files the nif is loading

or deleting files until something turn grey

If your mod uses loose files (as you don't seem to use an BSA) and you use NMM or other (not MO) Managers you can use CK and unpack the created archive to review it.

Modding is no easy task.

Don't know how that TES5edit script works that lists your assets but that might help searching your files.

• 5 months later...

Archived