Noob Problem with Content Creation

Jayleia

OK, downloaded and installed Creation Kit, and set it up through, select skyrim.esm as the master file, and then an .esp in the data directory as the active file doesn't work.

I've tried selecting just the file I want as the active file, and I get the same result

CK says it tried to load multiple master files, and then it shows like 6 of them selected, when I selected one or none of them.

I'd really like to be able dig around inside a few and maybe tweak some for practice.

It sounds like the esp you would like to edit has multiple dependencies.  To load multiple master files, edit SkyrimEditor.ini (should be in your Skyrim folder) under [General] set bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1. If that line is not in the ini file then just add it at the end of the [General] section.

And it works now, and now I can explore some of the simpler mods...and even the simple mods seem much more complicated than I'd expect them to be...

Yeah, it's not a trivial undertaking.  And Bethesda's no help as you saw yourself when you tried to load multiple master files without configuring the CK first.  Wouldn't it have made sense for the CK to be configured for that out of the box?  Anyway, there are tutorials available on Creationkit.com, and youtube (such as this series) to get you started.  Have fun!

And it works now, and now I can explore some of the simpler mods...and even the simple mods seem much more complicated than I'd expect them to be...

take it slow.

Dont jump into deep water straight on.

be stubborn as the worst of mules  ;)

you will get it eventually.

Archived