Brace yourselves, Elder Scrolls 6 is coming.

Womb Raider

If Elder scroll 6 would be console exclusive i would give up on Elder Scroll thats how diehard PC owner gamer i am.

Over my dead body before i purchase a console. I would love playing Last of US but it's a console exclusive so will never play it.

My last was Dreamcast after it died(already played PC games sinds 1996 )i play PC only.

Im just to fond of my K/M and the power it have plus superior options you have with PC like modding your games.

If ES6 was console exclusive, we'd all just keep playing Skyrim. Some new advances will have had to come out.

I know even Oblivion had some advances just last year with the Blockhead OBSE plugin. Been considering playing some again, but I got it already setup with FCOM from years ago, I'd just have to start from scratch.

If ES6 was console exclusive, we'd all just keep playing Skyrim. Some new advances will have had to come out.

I know even Oblivion had some advances just last year with the Blockhead OBSE plugin. Been considering playing some again, but I got it already setup with FCOM from years ago, I'd just have to start from scratch.

Exactly.

Actually, I wouldn't play a TES console exclusive, I'd cut my own nose off to spite my face first.

My first ever console TES, after years of routinely thinking of that series as as a timely reminder to upgrade my PC,  was Skyrim. I'm still regretting that decision to this day, because it nearly put me off the series for life. At the time I remember retreating back to Dragons Age, licking my wounds. Coming back to PC Skyrim reaffirmed my faith in PC gaming, and here I am two years later. 

It was Left 4 Dead 1 and Fallout 3 that did it for me. I had had Left 4 Dead on both the 360 and my new PC at the time, and could compare them right on the spot. And then later on... custom maps came out, custom skins, etc. Fallout 3 felt more immersive playing with mouse and keyboard - a gaming pad just doesn't do it for me(I play classic games on arcade joysticks, even mario and sonic). Then I found the Nexus for Fallout 3, Oblivion was introduced on Steam, and there you have it.

Vanilla Oblivion felt like a ghost town, and there was like 5 trees when you stepped outside all spread out, I couldn't play it for more than an hour like that. I have absolutely no idea how people got into that game on Xbox. I used to joke an Army roommate about the game when he was playing it on Xbox when it was first released. If it wasn't for the PC versions of Elder Scrolls, I'd have never gotten into the series and possibly western RPGs in general.

Don't even bother.  As long as ESO is active no serious developmental resource will be allocated to TES6.  It's far more likely that Bethesda will develop a new sandbox IP before moving to a single player TES.  The longer they hold, the more likely that fans of ES lore will be tempted to try ESO.  This is why there is no other Warcraft games or KOTOR3.  Also as the company with the most successful mod strategy in history its executives are surely looking to monetize mods, probably by integrating installation into online DRM.  Steam Skyrim is just the first step to move modding community into a controllable environment aka domesticating the wilds in MBA speak.  Once you get critical mass the next step is figuring out how to harvest and fleece the assets with quality control.  Chances are that plenty of mod authors will join if mods are sold/distributed like Apple or Google app store exclusively on Steam.  This is what every business school teaches nowadays in online strategy or what any good management consultant would advise the company to do.  I'd bet TES6 will not even be in early planning until Bethesda sees the results of other open world games looking to imitate Skyrim's success with their experimentation in modding community integration, in-game transaction and coop/group play.

Don't even bother.  As long as ESO is active no serious developmental resource will be allocated to TES6.  It's far more likely that Bethesda will develop a new sandbox IP before moving to a single player TES.  The longer they hold, the more likely that fans of ES lore will be tempted to try ESO.  This is why there is no other Warcraft games or KOTOR3.  Also as the company with the most successful mod strategy in history its executives are surely looking to monetize mods, probably by integrating installation into online DRM.  Steam Skyrim is just the first step to move modding community into a controllable environment aka domesticating the wilds in MBA speak.  Once you get critical mass the next step is figuring out how to harvest and fleece the assets with quality control.  Chances are that plenty of mod authors will join if mods are sold/distributed like Apple or Google app store exclusively on Steam.  This is what every business school teaches nowadays in online strategy or what any good management consultant would advise the company to do.  I'd bet TES6 will not even be in early planning until Bethesda sees the results of other open world games looking to imitate Skyrim's success with their experimentation in modding community integration, in-game transaction and coop/group play.

It's like you killed and ate the hearts of every cynic in the TES fandom, condensed their pessimism in your unholy bowels, and shat out perhaps the most perfect turd of a post on the subject ever conceived of by mortal men.

It's awe-inspiring, really.

About the Picture: It's just the box art of Skyrim messed with. Same fonts of the words, same burnt background just with "ARGONIA" (also same font as Skyrim's) on it. Argonia isn't even a place so...

Anyways, I think Fallout 4 will come out next, then Elder Scrolls VI a couple years after. I hope mid 2015 will be a teaser for Fallout. I do think that an ES VI could be set in Valenwood, since Next-Gen technology might be able to pull of the "trees that move" thing that Valenwood has going on, which would blow people's minds to Tamriel and make more money than Skyrim. Just a thought. 

One last thing, ESO was developed and is being maintained by a separate entity. Bethesda is not developing it in any way so development on OTHER games is happening. 

Well perhaps a bit dark, but might not be too far off. Dota is very successful with the monetizing their mod community. If they manage to find a way to share a fraction of the profits with the creator they won't say no...as if we don't have enough of a permission, usage right, credit, ownership shit show as it is...

Also adult mods are probably never going to see the light of day in any official channels which would either remains as the wild west of modding or will probably get shut down because they aren't officially sanctioned.

Another thing is the "buy in," will it be fully priced? discounted? or free to play with paying for mods as the hook...which perhaps is even more unsettling.

Really want to see how the world is responding to TES/Fallout near monopolizing of the moddable open world market for all these years. Will DA3, Witcher 3 try to gun for the throne, which would force TES to shape up and deal with the new challengers. From a consumer perspective I wish they are truly gunning after that Skyrim money and forces Bethesda to response in kind.

It's like you killed and ate the hearts of every cynic in the TES fandom, condensed their pessimism in your unholy bowels, and shat out perhaps the most perfect turd of a post on the subject ever conceived of by mortal men.

It's awe-inspiring, really.

And by attacking me personally you are making great contributions in bringing TES6 to the market.  If you don't like the analysis, rebut with your own analysis or grow up.

And by attacking me personally you are making great contributions in bringing TES6 to the market.  If you don't like the analysis, rebut with your own analysis or grow up.

I wouldn't call it an attack, per se. I basically just said I thought your post was intensely cynical, only with some comical flair. I guess if you were actively searching for a reason to get offended, you could zone in on where I did call your bowels "unholy", but that'd be silly of you.

Mostly I'm just not seeing where a lot of your largely baseless predictions are coming from. For instance, Bethesda being "far more likely" to develop a new sandbox IP? Because a sister development company independent of them is running an MMO? That seems rather ludicrous, especially after Skyrim's runaway success. Bethesda's never had good luck with new IP's - they'l want to keep milking TES and Fallout as long as they can because those are practically guaranteed to sell.

Then there's all this odd stuff about monetizing mods. While I share your concerns that in future games modding will be railroaded into Steam somehow, I don't see how that jumps to monetization. There are, to my knowledge, no monetized mods available for any game in Steam Workshop. There's just no precedent.

And where exactly are you pulling in-game transactions from? Bethesda's TES games are traditionally single-player. Before ESO, which isn't even from Bethesda, there was never any talk of multiplayer at all. You think a cash shop is just gonna come out of nowhere? The way you phrase it it sounds like you're afraid they're going to start selling death-prevention items or powerful skill boosters for real cash in-game.

You raise a legitimate point about modding being forced into Steam, but everything else is pessimistic nonsense or outright uneducated.

That said, I'm not sure it'd be a bad thing if they waited and saw what Witcher 3 does before even starting a TESVI. If they're going to build a TES VI against Witcher standards, maybe we'll actually get another truly good TES game...

Well perhaps a bit dark, but might not be too far off. Dota is very successful with the monetizing their mod community. If they manage to find a way to share a fraction of the profits with the creator they won't say no...as if we don't have enough of a permission, usage right, credit, ownership shit show as it is...

Also adult mods are probably never going to see the light of day in any official channels which would either remains as the wild west of modding or will probably get shut down because they aren't officially sanctioned.

Another thing is the "buy in," will it be fully priced? discounted? or free to play with paying for mods as the hook...which perhaps is even more unsettling.

Really want to see how the world is responding to TES/Fallout near monopolizing of the moddable open world market for all these years. Will DA3, Witcher 3 try to gun for the throne, which would force TES to shape up and deal with the new challengers. From a consumer perspective I wish they are truly gunning after that Skyrim money and forces Bethesda to response in kind.

This is why Bethesda is certainly not in hurry to get TES6 development started.  Let DA:I, Witcher3 and other sandbox launches play out the market in the next 12-18 months and see how the open world architecture can be monetized.  As afa stated above a lot of things are unsorted or unknown, besides the obvious in how to engage and integrate the modding community.  Steam Skyrim clearly points to where Bethesda wants to go.

With nearly one billion downloads in this franchise Bethesda has too much at stake to rush into a Skyrim successor.  Nearly one billion, this is not your standard IP anymore.  TES community is actually very difficult to replicate because if the modding tool is too good you risk selling DLC, expansion and possibly a quick sequel hence why EA will never get this right because it's not in their DNA to build community trust instead of fleecing anyone and everyone, if the tool is no good or not timely then you lose the momentum (see Saints Row).  On the other hand, even if the company is willing and not evil it does take a lot of resource and very early planning to get modding right.  I hope but do not expect someone like CD Project to release something for Witcher3 comparable to Skyrim.  I am sure they would love to but Witcher does not work that way and I doubt they can afford the luxury to make it so.  Bethesda will wait to see, because the company knows what it has and how valuable it can be.  Microsoft did not spend $2.5billion buying Minecraft because the new CEO likes tiles.

I can only citate that guy in the comment section on that page.

original.jpg

Nice try but, an official announcement would look different. For starters, there'd be Todd Howards face on it.

No need to break down marketing and dollar science here, calm your nipples folks and move on.

I wonder how much dumbing down can the series take. As per tradition, each game gets more simplified than its predecessor, what can you simplify from Skyrim already? Combine all the amazingly many 3 main stats into a basic vitality that is a resource for everything you do? Take out all skills and only offer mage/warrior/rogue tree paths? Time will tell. :angel:

What i can't anderstand is the reason Bethesda didn't ever release their full resources for Skyrim even though the game has been abandoned for 3 years now.I mean why they haven't released the full pack of the DICE 2012 video but only a part of it.It contained machanics that the modding community have yet ti achieve.It's not that they are going to be using them for their next game i think,unless they plan to base a 2015,2016 or whatever year game on a 2011 game engine (gamebryo).For anyone who has not seen it, i talk about this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SE5owAIPmk

They have done things like water steams, seasonale folliage, flail animations, real spears etc that the modding community would profit a lot!!

What i can't anderstand is the reason Bethesda didn't ever release their full resources for Skyrim even though the game has been abandoned for 3 years now.I mean why they haven't released the full pack of the DICE 2012 video but only a part of it.It contained machanics that the modding community have yet ti achieve.It's not that they are going to be using them for their next game i think,unless they plan to base a 2015,2016 or whatever year game on a 2011 game engine (gamebryo).For anyone who has not seen it, i talk about this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SE5owAIPmk

They have done things like water steams, seasonale folliage, flail animations, real spears etc that the modding community would profit a lot!!

I remember that, I wish they would to as well. There's a lot of things that could have been released as resources (even ones that were uncompleted), to make it easier to start from.

They might not have thought it was worth it enough to do so.

Archived